CV advise

Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:14 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default CV advise

I am in the process of wanting to move back to Scotland in the next few months and have started applying for jobs there. I'm a UK citizen, but I am concerned that this may be missed when potential recruiters/employers read my US address on my CV, before I get a UK address in Scotland. I am referencing this fact in my cover letters, but I suspect some go straight to the CV and will turf mine aside, as soon as they see the US address. Do any of you have any advise on how and where I can place the fact that I am a UK citizen on my CV? If it helps my folks do live in Scotland, but I am not comfortable using their address on my CV or should I?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Schbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CV advise

It depends on your profession / skill level and the kind of roles you are applying for, I guess. Not sure why would you not be comfortable using your folks address, if it improves the chances of your CV getting a closer inspection, it's just for contact purposes afterall. I would use a local address, unless you have something very special and unique to offer. I know that if I was sifting through a stack of CV's I would favour those living locally (or at least close enough to commute / interview easily).

Last edited by Schbang; Feb 7th 2011 at 1:49 am.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:39 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schbang
It depends on your profession / skill level and the kind of roles you are applying for, I guess. Not sure why would you not be comfortable using your folks address, if it improves the chances of your CV getting a closer inspection, it's just for contact purposes afterall. I would use a local address, unless you have something very special and unique to offer. I know that if I was sifting through a stack of CV's I would favour those living locally (or at least close enough to commute / interview easily).
Thanks for the input Schbang. With regards to using my folks address, my only concern is that I may run the risk of misleading any potential recruiter/employer in thinking I am already in the UK, where it may be another month or two before I am there. Although I am willing to fly back earlier for an interview if it looks like it is progressing pretty well.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I have a general section on my CV where I mention things like my date of birth and citizenship. It's at the beginning of mine, others put it at the end.

Good luck with your job search.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:36 am
Expert ping ponger

Originally Posted by killerhales
I have a general section on my CV where I mention things like my date of birth and citizenship. It's at the beginning of mine, others put it at the end.

Good luck with your job search.
Thanks for the advise. You know I used to do that with my CV when I left South Africa. Funny how things come full circle sometimes.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Schbang is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in a similar situation looking to apply for roles ahead of arriving back in NE England in May, and I include a 'Nationality:' on the front page, though I always have done as I have an 'exotic' sounding name, though realistically in my line of work and in the current climate i don't hold much hope of getting any serious bites until I'm on the ground and able to interview, it's mostly for the purpose of getting registered with the relevent agencies and getting some feelers out, so the covering letter is covering most of explanation.

Last edited by Schbang; Feb 8th 2011 at 5:01 am.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:35 pm
Expert ping ponger

Originally Posted by Schbang
I'm in a similar situation looking to apply for roles ahead of arriving back in NE England in May, and I include a 'Nationality:' on the front page, though I always have done as I have an 'exotic' sounding name, though realistically in my line of work and in the current climate i don't hold much hope of getting any serious bites until I'm on the ground and able to interview, it's mostly for the purpose of getting registered with the relevent agencies and getting some feelers out, so the covering letter is covering most of explanation.
I feel the same way and that I am only really going to get something once I am actually there, short of some miracle .
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:38 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
I am in the process of wanting to move back to Scotland in the next few months and have started applying for jobs there. I'm a UK citizen, but I am concerned that this may be missed when potential recruiters/employers read my US address on my CV, before I get a UK address in Scotland. I am referencing this fact in my cover letters, but I suspect some go straight to the CV and will turf mine aside, as soon as they see the US address. Do any of you have any advise on how and where I can place the fact that I am a UK citizen on my CV? If it helps my folks do live in Scotland, but I am not comfortable using their address on my CV or should I?
I have quite a bit of experience with this. I recommend putting your US address at the top of the resume and then adding 'UK Citizen Returning to the UK at own expense' right below the address. Bold this sentence so they don't miss it.

It's important to say that you're a UK citizen (so they don't think you need a visa) and that the relocation will be at your expense (so they don't think they'll have to pay). Also, sign up for Skype if you're not already on it and add that to your resume. This shows them they can interview you for free if they want. Good luck!