Customs rules in the UK.

Old May 21st 2004, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Customs rules in the UK.

Does anyone know if the UK has any stupid rules (oops I mean sensible to stop the bugs getting in!!) for customs re wood, wicker, outdoor furniture, anything !!! like you have when you arrive in Australia-will my stuff by sent all the way around the UK to be allegedly gamma irradiated and cleaned but come back the same!

Are they ok about some food stuffs etc etc etc.

Any help appreciated!
Old May 21st 2004, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Customs rules in the UK.

Hi Mel, we werent sure about food or drink so cant help there but anything else is fine.

UK arent worried about a bit of dirt!! We didnt have to clean anything & didnt have to declare any wicker or suchlike. Easy peasy!

Only thing customs wanted here was a letter explaining our relatively short stay in Oz & a detailed list of everything that Kent had put on the inventory as just 'trunk' or 'misc' & 'bundle of misc'. Really easy, not, when you havent a clue whats been packed so we guessed.

The container wasnt even opened until it got to our house. Customs x-rayed the container & sent it on its way (cost extra £45 for x-ray).

Theres a list of customs do & donts on the net, aquis or something like that. I will try & look for you.
Old May 21st 2004, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Customs rules in the UK.

Have a look at www.hmce.gov.uk for restrictions.
Old May 21st 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.

I was reading your thread and hope ya don't mind but I have a question....
We will be shipping USA to UK in about a month and doing the packing ourselves. I have labelled the boxes as acurately as I can but some of the junl office stiff and kids... I will put it loosly 'Toys" ( you know all that crap they can't bear to part with...) I have put Misc office supplies or Misc toys...

Will customs xray them? What else may they do?

I have never shipped anything before and don't have loads of money for custom fees should I make a mistake... LOL

Hope you don't mind me buting in on your thread... I can post my own if it's a problem...
Thanks...
Old May 22nd 2004, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by honeymommy
Hello.

I was reading your thread and hope ya don't mind but I have a question....
We will be shipping USA to UK in about a month and doing the packing ourselves. I have labelled the boxes as acurately as I can but some of the junl office stiff and kids... I will put it loosly 'Toys" ( you know all that crap they can't bear to part with...) I have put Misc office supplies or Misc toys...

Will customs xray them? What else may they do?

I have never shipped anything before and don't have loads of money for custom fees should I make a mistake... LOL

Hope you don't mind me buting in on your thread... I can post my own if it's a problem...
Thanks...
So will you be using a shipper to get them on a container? Silly question, course you will! They will have to write an inventory for every box & may list things as: PBO Misc toys (PBO=packed by owner). Any PBO box which doesnt have a description next to it will be pulled up by customs ie they get a copy of the inventory before the shipment arrives in UK & they will contact you via your UK agent to ask for a list of the contents of that particular box. Nothing serious to worry about!!

Dont know what else they might do, Im sure they will just xray it to make sure no asylum seekers are being smuggled in!

Hope that helps, Angelica
Old May 22nd 2004, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much..

We are hopefully shipping through my brother inlaws company, as they have said they will do it for cost. We are packing everything ourselves and making a list as we go.
I know now that with 4 kids. Putting kids toys won't cut it with customs... ARGH!!! They have so much junk they won't get rid of.... LOL Wonder if customs will accept a box labelled 'kids crap they won't let go' ?

have to go through the list again... Thanks. a great help to me.

Oh and Mr H and I have joked about a box labelled Misc bedroom items!!!!
Old May 26th 2004, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hey don't be silly!!!-that's what it is here for!

Thanks for the advice and website Heather-will have a look.

[i]

Thanks...