Customs form C-3?

Old May 25th 2015, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs form C-3?

If I am not shipping anything and have nothing I will owe tax on, do I still need to complete customs form C-3 and go through the red channel to declare the items I am moving to the UK?
Old May 25th 2015, 2:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs form C-3?

The way you described your situation & reading 'customs notice 3' below, see if it applies to you?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...outside-the-ec

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../374228/c3.pdf
Old May 25th 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, the detailed guidance gave me directions! I couldn't find that myself - only the form :/ I feel stupid now.
Old May 25th 2015, 4:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

this extract

People Moving or Returning to the UK

If you’re moving or returning to the UK (including British subjects) from outside the EU, you can import your belongings free of duty and tax provided you’ve lived at least 12 months outside the EU. Your possessions must have been used for at least six months outside the EU before being imported. Tax and duty must have been paid on all items being imported (this isn’t applicable to diplomats, members of officially recognised international organisations, members of NATO or British forces and their spouses, and any civilian staff accompanying them). Articles must be for your personal use, must be declared to customs, and you mustn’t sell, lend, hire out, or otherwise dispose of them in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU) within 12 months, without customs authorisation.

General information

A list of all items you’re bringing in is useful, although the customs officer may still want to examine your belongings. If you need to pay duty or tax, it must be paid at the time the goods are brought into the country. Customs accept cash (sterling only); personal cheques supported by a cheque guarantee card; MasterCard, Visa and, at some ports and airports, Switch debit cards. If you’re unable to pay on the spot, customs keep your belongings until you pay the sum due, which must be paid within the period noted on the back of your receipt. Postage or freight charges must be paid if you want the goods sent on to you.

Your belongings may be imported up to six months before, but no more than one year after your arrival, after transferring your residence. They mustn’t be sold, lent, hired out, or otherwise disposed of in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU) within one year of their importation, without first obtaining customs authorisation.

If you’re shipping your personal belongings (which includes anything for your family’s personal use – such as clothing, cameras, television and stereo, furniture and other household goods) – unaccompanied to the UK, you must complete (and sign) customs form C3, obtainable from your shipping agent, HM Customs and Excise (see address below) or www.hmce.gov.uk , and attach a detailed packing list. If you employ an international removal company, they handle the customs clearance and associated paperwork for you. Any items originally obtained in the UK or within the EU can be brought into the UK free of customs and excise duty or VAT, provided:

Last edited by not2old; May 25th 2015 at 4:40 pm.
Old May 31st 2015, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump in on this one but we are completing this at the moment too.

Do they really want me to list underpants and socks I've purchased in the last 6 months or are they only interested in individual items over a certain value?

Thanks, JD
Old May 31st 2015, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved in 2011, we had a list that was generic for a lot of sutff - and it was a 40' container, so the list was pretty long. They are mainly interested in booze, cigarettes, and high cost items. We surely had paper towels, toilet paper, underwear and similar that were purchased <6 months prior to the move, and no, we did not declare those things. But, for example, if you buy a new computer, never open the box, and ship it....well, that should be declared. Our shipping agent told us that shipping/declaring booze/wine etc. was a red flag and could result in the entire container being flagged for inspection. We had one bottle of wine....acquired in Portugal in the late 90s, taken to the US in 2000, and being taken back to the UK still unopened. The agent said pack it, but do NOT declare it, and that's what we did.

BTW - When we finally did open that bottle, it turned out to be vinegar - totally undrinkable. :-)

Bottom line, use common sense with the C-3 form.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 9:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
When we moved in 2011, we had a list that was generic for a lot of sutff - and it was a 40' container, so the list was pretty long. They are mainly interested in booze, cigarettes, and high cost items. We surely had paper towels, toilet paper, underwear and similar that were purchased <6 months prior to the move, and no, we did not declare those things. But, for example, if you buy a new computer, never open the box, and ship it....well, that should be declared. Our shipping agent told us that shipping/declaring booze/wine etc. was a red flag and could result in the entire container being flagged for inspection. We had one bottle of wine....acquired in Portugal in the late 90s, taken to the US in 2000, and being taken back to the UK still unopened. The agent said pack it, but do NOT declare it, and that's what we did.

BTW - When we finally did open that bottle, it turned out to be vinegar - totally undrinkable. :-)

Bottom line, use common sense with the C-3 form.
With the greatest respect: bottom line, use common sense when deciding what to pack.