Customs Clearance

Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Bearbook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs Clearance

Hey everyone

I have been living in Japan for 10 years and will move back later this year. I'm shipping about 1 cubic meter of personal items and the moving company in Japan has advised me to research customs clearance agents in the UK for when my items reach Southampton.

I have emailed about 6 different agents and have quotes ranging from £35 to £200. I can't understand the differences and am getting frustrated! Has anyone done this in Southampton or have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:18 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs Clearance

It might be that there is something peculiar about Japan, but from other countries, the international moving company does all that for you and just includes it in the price. Have you enquired of other companies apart from the one you are using?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

The company in Japan suggested we contact a customs clearance agency in the UK. They said they could do it but it was double the price.
They will collect my items and ship them for 350 pounds but when I asked them to take care of the customs clearance they quoted me 700.
As I said in my post I have contacted other clearance companies and have a range of quotations from 35 to 200 pounds. I don't understand why there is such a large difference?!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:37 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Since international removal firms usually deal with this themselves, I don't think it is likely you will find anyone with experience of this issue on the forum. I might be wrong, but I can't remember it ever being discussed before. You might have more luck on the Japan forum, if this is usual practice in Japan.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Be wary of just being quoted for customs clearance and then being charged fees for documentation and warehousing.
The following fees are what I paid on a forty foot container.

Terminal handling 110

Documentation 45

Customs clearance 51.50

Port Security fee 15.50

Port exam fee 37.50

Prices are in UK pounds, I would expect the terminal handling to be less the other fees similar.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bearbook
The company in Japan suggested we contact a customs clearance agency in the UK. They said they could do it but it was double the price.
They will collect my items and ship them for 350 pounds but when I asked them to take care of the customs clearance they quoted me 700.
As I said in my post I have contacted other clearance companies and have a range of quotations from 35 to 200 pounds. I don't understand why there is such a large difference?!
I don't understamd what you are trying to do. I have moved back to the UK twice and have never dealt with a customs clearance company or looked into customs clearance as a stand alone thing. I just booked my container back and they deal with everything from packing up, shipping to clearing customs to unpacking at my house.

I think you may be overcomplicating something.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone

I have been living in Japan for 10 years and will move back later this year. I'm shipping about 1 cubic meter of personal items and the moving company in Japan has advised me to research customs clearance agents in the UK for when my items reach Southampton.

I have emailed about 6 different agents and have quotes ranging from £35 to £200. I can't understand the differences and am getting frustrated! Has anyone done this in Southampton or have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
I can see why your japanese shipping agent doubles the cost as they would have to find an agent in UK if they do not already have one. However, when you asked them to quote did you ask for delivery to UK address INCLUDING all customs/clearance fees? This is normal for folks shipping belongings as other posters have said. Again ask the UK companies who have quoted you what their fees include. If they won't break it down then find someone else! Oh, when you asked for the UK quotes did you tell them exactly what your shipment would include and that it's all secondhand personal effects as this can affect the pricing.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:15 am
Just Joined

This is the email I received from the shipping company I'm using in Japan:

Service by sea Destination: Southampton CFS
Commodity: unaccompanied personal effects
First one cubic meter: Y69,000
each additional 0.1 cubic meter: Y5,700

Charges are inclusive of Ocean freight charge, CFS Charge
(Port handling charge) on the Japan side, customs clearance
charge on the Japan side, our handling and pickup charges.
(We pickup from your door in Japan)

Destination charges:
Please pay destination charges at the port and/or CFS of destination.
Destination charges refer to port handling (terminal service) charge,
container line's destination agent's handling charge, customs clearance
charges etc.

*Please note that due to the UK's customs regulations you will need to
use the services of customs broker in UK(Southampton) to
clear your shipment through UK customs and customs clearance charge
will also incur for such services. The carrier's destination (London)
agent offers the services of customs clearance and delivery
once the shipment arrives in UK so you can use their services.
This should be less expensive than arranging with a Japanese
company get in the middle.

I'm not trying to complicate anything. It says I need a customs broker to clear my shipment. I'm asking advice from anyone who has done this.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

And has been said, nobody else appears to have required a "customs broker" when moving back to the UK. Maybe try a different shipper.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

This is the email I received from the shipping company I'm using in Japan:

Service by sea Destination: Southampton CFS
Commodity: unaccompanied personal effects
First one cubic meter: Y69,000
each additional 0.1 cubic meter: Y5,700

Charges are inclusive of Ocean freight charge, CFS Charge
(Port handling charge) on the Japan side, customs clearance
charge on the Japan side, our handling and pickup charges.
(We pickup from your door in Japan)

Destination charges:
Please pay destination charges at the port and/or CFS of destination.
Destination charges refer to port handling (terminal service) charge,
container line's destination agent's handling charge, customs clearance
charges etc.

*Please note that due to the UK's customs regulations you will need to
use the services of customs broker in UK(Southampton) to
clear your shipment through UK customs and customs clearance charge
will also incur for such services. The carrier's destination (London)
agent offers the services of customs clearance and delivery
once the shipment arrives in UK so you can use their services.
This should be less expensive than arranging with a Japanese
company get in the middle.

I'm not trying to complicate anything. It says I need a customs broker to clear my shipment. I'm asking advice from anyone who has done this.

It sounds as though you would be better off finding shippers who would sort everything, including shipping the items to your door in the UK as I notice that isn't on the list of services, and that will add even more to your bill.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you ottothebear those prices look similar to some of the email quotations I have received. I'm surprised as yours was a forty foot container and I only have a cubic metre worth of boxes. Hmm….I will double check with them to make sure what the charges are for.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mikelincs. Since I'm not near a major city like Tokyo or Osaka there aren't as many options as I thought and I am trying to save money on this as my partner and I also have visa fees to contend with. Shipping to my door in the UK isn't much of a bother as I can go collect it myself. I will keep looking around - thanks!
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks quiltman - I will get back to the companies and get more details from them
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
And has been said, nobody else appears to have required a "customs broker" when moving back to the UK. Maybe try a different shipper.
If you are moving back using a full service company the customs clearance is included in the package.

The OP is organizing the shipment himself and collecting from a warehouse in Southampton which should be significantly less expensive than using a full service company.

Some shipping lines will have a broker they use or recommend some do not.