Crime..

Old May 15th 2003, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thomas Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crime..

I can totally understand your worries and fears on crime (Crowson
Family) . It is off-putting when you here of all the same crime
stories coming from the country or City you intend to emigrate to.
Cities large or small and towns alike should I would of thought
have their fair share of good and bad points, but please dont
let these reports no matter how true put you off.
Do as much homework , as we are , on where you are going,
just remember how crowded Britain is now ! and how much more
in the next few years! Just remember that Britain is full up
and that Australia and Newzealand have bags of room and
millions of chances less, of getting mugged , murdered, robbed,burgled and all the rest of it!! I do understand that Aus,
and NZ are taking vast numbers of people as is Britain , but
by the time they catch up with britain in numbers we will all be
long gone!! Go on Crowsons go for it!! Just watch your guard
as you do at home an dont be to complacent..
We were off-put by these reports a bit , but with 56million less
people to contend with we still want to go to Christchurch NZ.
Old May 16th 2003, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crime..

overall population is not the only issue

in oz and nz the vast majority of the population are living in the major metropolitan areas. unfortunately in these areas population density is as high as any western country.

Originally posted by Thomas Family
I can totally understand your worries and fears on crime (Crowson
Family) . It is off-putting when you here of all the same crime
stories coming from the country or City you intend to emigrate to.
Cities large or small and towns alike should I would of thought
have their fair share of good and bad points, but please dont
let these reports no matter how true put you off.
Do as much homework , as we are , on where you are going,
just remember how crowded Britain is now ! and how much more
in the next few years! Just remember that Britain is full up
and that Australia and Newzealand have bags of room and
millions of chances less, of getting mugged , murdered, robbed,burgled and all the rest of it!! I do understand that Aus,
and NZ are taking vast numbers of people as is Britain , but
by the time they catch up with britain in numbers we will all be
long gone!! Go on Crowsons go for it!! Just watch your guard
as you do at home an dont be to complacent..
We were off-put by these reports a bit , but with 56million less
people to contend with we still want to go to Christchurch NZ.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Something else that is good about the closeness of places in the UK is that it is never too far to drive anywhere whereas here in Canada my husband and I feel as if Canada is actually lots of different independant mini countries and that everywhere is so far apart that sometimes you feel a bit stranded.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by daisymoll
Something else that is good about the closeness of places in the UK is that it is never too far to drive anywhere whereas here in Canada my husband and I feel as if Canada is actually lots of different independant mini countries and that everywhere is so far apart that sometimes you feel a bit stranded.
Might not seem far but have you heard of traffic ...

You'll see,

Sorry, but this is true on a BIG scale
Old May 16th 2003, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Might not seem far but have you heard of traffic ...

You'll see,

Sorry, but this is true on a BIG scale

Considering I lived there until last year, I am well aware of the traffic. Each to their own at the end of the day, its just that there seem to be so many people still sitting in England bemoaning it with their rose coloured spectacles on about the prospective countries that you are going to be moving to. No country is perfect!!!! Every country has its positives and negatives and this is the biggest lesson I have learned since moving to Canada from England in 2002! I used to sit there just like you lot and moan and whinge about how England was going down the pan, but now I have a fresh perspective and can see the many positive things about England that you simply take for granted. When I tell people now that I want to go home I feel a bit like an idiot, but I am so glad that we did it and I would advise anyone who is thinking about it to at least give it a try, because for every person that it doesn't work out for, there is someone that it will.
Old May 16th 2003, 10:15 pm
Keelie

Daisymoll...too bad it didn't work out for you. Now that you've come all this way, have you considered looking at other parts of Canada before making up your mind to leave ?
I've known Brits who were also ready to return...they couldn't hack the winters here.
However, after visiting British Columbia they quickly changed their minds.
The avid gardeners were estatic at the variety and abundance of plant life all year round. Be warned that many Brits who return to the U.K. are back here within the year...they're not aware of how their time in Canada has changed their outlook.
Some become more critical, and less tolerant than before, of conditions in the U.K.

You may not be aware of the subtle changes in yourself at the moment, but they will surface. In any case, you've had a mind-expanding experience that will make you more appreciative of the U.K.. or not. Good Luck.

Old May 16th 2003, 10:25 pm
Keelie

Daisymoll...too bad it didn't work out for you. Now that you've come all this way, have you considered looking at other parts of Canada before making up your mind to leave ?
I've known Brits who were also ready to return...they couldn't hack the winters here.
The avid gardeners were estatic at the variety and abundance of plant life all year round. Be warned that many Brits who return to the U.K. are back here within the year...they're not aware of how their time in Canada has changed their outlook.
Some become more critical, and less tolerant than before, of conditions in the U.K.

You may not be aware of the subtle changes in yourself at the moment, but they will surface. In any case, you've had a mind-expanding experience that will make you more appreciative of the U.K.. or not. Good Luck.

Old May 16th 2003, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah they say that about oz as well - all you brits clogging up the planes to move home will be back in a year. unfortunately its hard to find people that actually do this. it certainly seems accepted here in oz that a lot of brits do go home eventually and that partly is responsible for the reluctance to hire them for jobs.

once you have lived overseas no doubt everyone that moves home will get itchy feet again in a few years but the lesson learnt is that england is a lot better at a lot of things than anyone realises until they leave it behind. its swings and roundabouts and no doubt the climate plays a large part in that but if you can afford to live in a nice part of the uk there really is few countries in the world that can beat it in terms of standard of living, quality of services, access to travel, availability of produce and goods, quality of media, education, work prospects etc etc There is also the wonderful countryside which is still very unspoilt in lots of areas. Sure it has it's problems but on balance compared to any other country they are not any worse.

The other important issue is completely intangible in that most people growing up in england have a lot of english interests, be they family, friends, sports, hobbies etc and there really are few countries in the world that cater for those interests as well as england.

Originally posted by Keelie

Old May 16th 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Keelie

I think a lot of my disillusionment with Canada stems from how much I miss my family and how expensive it is to get anywhere else from Canada which means that I never get to see them. Moving to BC is only going to exacerbate that problem as far as I can see..

Another thing is that I hope to return to work part time as an accountant, but out here I won't have the luxury of being able to choose that as barely anyone will hire me with my wacky foreign qualifications from England!!

There are so many things which I just personally feel are better in the UK, many listed above by Captaincook. My attitude has changed in the time that I have been here and that is that you can't automatically make something better by moving to another country. I am really going to put big time and effort into doing the things that we want to do when we get home.

And to close those winters are definitely a major factor as to why we are going home. Give me a more moderate climate any day of the week!!
Old May 16th 2003, 11:18 pm
Keelie

I totally agree with what you wrote..surprise!
My Canadian spouse has no doubt that if we won the Lottery (big time) we'd live in the U.K.
To enjoy the standard of living that we have in Canada we'd have to be millionaires a few times over.
We spent the month of February in Malta this year, and loved the whole 'European' atmosphere...just found everything double and triple the price of what it would cost here....and as for London Airport...daylight robbery.

My roots are deep in the U.K. where I was born and bred, and we'll always return for visits.
Meantime we're looking at Brisbane where our son lives, probably for the winter months.
Reading all of the various forums here has made us rethink a pemanent move to Oz....however we'll keep an open mind and see what transpires, maybe we'll love it, or not.
Keelie

Old May 17th 2003, 12:37 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by captaincook
...but the lesson learnt is that england is a lot better at a lot of things than anyone realises until they leave it behind. its swings and roundabouts and no doubt the climate plays a large part in that but if you can afford to live in a nice part of the uk there really is few countries in the world that can beat it in terms of standard of living, quality of services, access to travel, availability of produce and goods, quality of media, education, work prospects etc etc There is also the wonderful countryside which is still very unspoilt in lots of areas. Sure it has it's problems but on balance compared to any other country they are not any worse.

Thats a good way of expressing it all....
Old May 17th 2003, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Considering I lived there until last year, I am well aware of the traffic. Each to their own at the end of the day, its just that there seem to be so many people still sitting in England bemoaning it with their rose coloured spectacles on about the prospective countries that you are going to be moving to. No country is perfect!!!! Every country has its positives and negatives and this is the biggest lesson I have learned since moving to Canada from England in 2002! I used to sit there just like you lot and moan and whinge about how England was going down the pan, but now I have a fresh perspective and can see the many positive things about England that you simply take for granted. When I tell people now that I want to go home I feel a bit like an idiot, but I am so glad that we did it and I would advise anyone who is thinking about it to at least give it a try, because for every person that it doesn't work out for, there is someone that it will.
quote ...

(I used to sit there just like you lot and moan and whinge about how England was going down the pan,)

I'm not sitting here moaning, I love the UK, high property prices ect ...

As for job hunting, er there may be 1 or 2 jobs going in my field, see how it goes,

The UK is a great place if you're a millionaire, most folk are on £6.00 per hour gross, less tax and NI,

Daisy,

Why not give it more time in Canada, you've only being there months ???

all the best,
Old May 17th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Daisy, I agree 100% with your sentiments - if you get back to the UK this year, how about joining us for a "meet up"?

P.S. don`t worry about Scooby - he`s just how I used to be before I actually experienced the difference between UK and OZ -
Old May 17th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rosy
Daisy, I agree 100% with your sentiments - if you get back to the UK this year, how about joining us for a "meet up"?

P.S. don`t worry about Scooby - he`s just how I used to be before I actually experienced the difference between UK and OZ -
She, please ...
Old May 17th 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
She, please ...
Apologies Scooby - always thought you were a "he" from your posts. Isn`t the `net funny that way???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.