Credit Reports

Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road
Default Credit Reports

When we came to the US we had no credit reports and they would not accept our UK ones, is it the same when we go back to the UK to live
Old Jun 5th 2020, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Reports

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
When we came to the US we had no credit reports and they would not accept our UK ones, is it the same when we go back to the UK to live
Yes, it took us time (6 months or so) to build our credit reports on returning.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, it took us time (6 months or so) to build our credit reports on returning.
thank you got your reply, even thought we still have a bank account doesn’t make a difference
Old Jun 5th 2020, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
thank you got your reply, even thought we still have a bank account doesn’t make a difference
We kept our bank account for all 29 years we were living in the USA, but with no record of paying bills on a regular schedule the credit score goes down the drain. It’s not necessarily a disaster. I expected to have to pay 6 months rent in advance when we got back, but the letting company accepted pension statements as proof of income and ability to pay so we only had to pay 2 months in advance plus the 1 month deposit, which we got back in full when we moved out into a house we bought.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

How long have you been out of the country? If only a short amount of time you may still have a UK credit score.
If you lost them due to being gone so long you will have to start from scratch (yes it is a pain again).
Covid 19 has changed a few things too. We were approved as long as we had 20% down (couldnt buy as the market was closed, so we had to rent). Called broker as we have now done 2 weeks isolation. Now we need a credit foot print to be approved by the same company.

So as soon as you have UK address, register to vote.
Then you will have the fun of getting internet with no credit score, and mobile phone plan.
Internet and home phone we went with plusnet, no credit score check. Took pay as you go plan, and will be calling them to see about flipping to monthly plan.
We have cash to buy cars but will be seeing if we can get on HP just to get a credit score.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point

What about getting the basic utilities with no credit score? electric, gas, water ...
Old Jun 7th 2020, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brightongirl
What about getting the basic utilities with no credit score? electric, gas, water ...
once we got a rented house sorted then the agent simply transferred them to us. I guess with utilities they won’t cut you off until you’ve not paid some bills, same with Council Tax.

Old Jun 7th 2020, 5:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
once we got a rented house sorted then the agent simply transferred them to us. I guess with utilities they won’t cut you off until you’ve not paid some bills, same with Council Tax.
Same here. We wanted to stay with the same providers the previous owners had used, so the solicitor we had for the purchase got them transferred to us.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

lauraloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blokeandbird
How long have you been out of the country? If only a short amount of time you may still have a UK credit score.
If you lost them due to being gone so long you will have to start from scratch (yes it is a pain again).
Covid 19 has changed a few things too. We were approved as long as we had 20% down (couldnt buy as the market was closed, so we had to rent). Called broker as we have now done 2 weeks isolation. Now we need a credit foot print to be approved by the same company.

So as soon as you have UK address, register to vote.
Then you will have the fun of getting internet with no credit score, and mobile phone plan.
Internet and home phone we went with plusnet, no credit score check. Took pay as you go plan, and will be calling them to see about flipping to monthly plan.
We have cash to buy cars but will be seeing if we can get on HP just to get a credit score.

Did you have any luck getting HP? I'm going to be moving by the end of the year, have had a UK bank account for years and years but my perfect US credit is clearly useless. I want to setup HP so that I can build credit. Did you find any easy store cards to open to help with that?
Old Aug 8th 2020, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of curiosity, what's HP?
Old Aug 8th 2020, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just out of curiosity, what's HP?
Hire Purchase I think.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In my youth this was the main form of buying things on credit. Hire Purchase. Technically what you are buying is not yours until you make the final payment. Restrictions on HP used to be a favourite weapon of The Chancellor Of The Exchequer. A thing of the past ? Like Provident Cheques and Coop Dividends !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hire_purchase

In The USA (and Canada ?) the term is "Installment Plan", which reminds me of a book by an outstanding French author (who was luck to escape execution for collobaroting with Vichy) - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...QaAjCZEALw_wcB

Last edited by scot47; Aug 16th 2020 at 2:53 pm.
Old May 24th 2021, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

lauraloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

Update on credit scores - mine is still laughably low but I recommend Clearscore for helping get pre-approved cards, track the score, get advice etc. I'm happy to play the game but it is super annoying. They give you cards with tiny limits (compared to the US ridiculously large limits) and then tell you not to use more than 20% of that limit lest it lower your score.