Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Country is fine but the natives ?

Country is fine but the natives ?

Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Country is fine but the natives ?

Originally Posted by robin1234
First - having a tongue-in-cheek pissing match about the Second World War does NOT, in any way, dishonor those who fought or died. Why would it?

Then - yes, all countries have their good & their bad points. But the point I made in an earlier post on this thread stands, I believe. The US currently dominates the world more than any other previous Empire has. I think this makes "the ugly American" uglier than "the ugly Dutchman" or "the ugly Englishman."
I think your first paragraph is a matter of personal opinion.....I don't happen to share yours.

I'll say this much....The British Empire in the opinon of the history books, was the largest the world has ever known.... America didn't go to other countries and form colonies and rule over them (we just bomb them and call it a police action).....but England did colonize and did it for centuries and they affected a lot more people than the US ever dreamed of.

Ask anyone from the former colonies whether the English lording it over them was an ugly period in their history. See what kind of answers you get. If you were poor or committed a petty crime, you were sent to Australia never to see your family again. If you were a native Australian it was much worse.... If you were in America, you paid 'taxes' and got nothing in return for it.... If you were an African you got to work on the coffee plantations or if you were real lucky the English slave traders ( who had slagged off the Dutch slave traders) shipped you off to another colony.....if you were an Indian, you had the pleasure of serving the Lord and Master East India Company ...If you were Irish, you were booted off your lands and starved to death in the potato fields. If you were Welsh your Princes were slaughtered and castles were thrown up around your country to keep you in line. ....I could go on and on giving examples....Scotland, the Mid East, The West Indies, etc......but why bother.....Oh and one last thought to leave you with. If America dominates the world today, perhaps it learned the methods of Empire from it's former master?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I think your first paragraph is a matter of personal opinion.....I don't happen to share yours.

I'll say this much....The British Empire in the opinon of the history books, was the largest the world has ever known.... America didn't go to other countries and form colonies and rule over them ....
Hawaii
Philippines
Puerto Rico

To name just three out of many.
Yes, Hawaii was subsequently made into a state. But it was colonised by force, for American profit & power.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Ask anyone from the former colonies whether the English lording it over them was an ugly period in their history. See what kind of answers you get. If you were poor or committed a petty crime, you were sent to Australia never to see your family again. If you were a native Australian it was much worse.... If you were in America, you paid 'taxes' and got nothing in return for it.... If you were an African you got to work on the coffee plantations or if you were real lucky the English slave traders ( who had slagged off the Dutch slave traders) shipped you off to another colony.....if you were an Indian, you had the pleasure of serving the Lord and Master East India Company ...If you were Irish, you were booted off your lands and starved to death in the potato fields. If you were Welsh your Princes were slaughtered and castles were thrown up around your country to keep you in line. ....I could go on and on giving examples....Scotland, the Mid East, The West Indies, etc......but why bother.....Oh and one last thought to leave you with. If America dominates the world today, perhaps it learned the methods of Empire from it's former master?
I don't disagree with any of this.

You do seem a bit riled up, though.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with any of this.

You do seem a bit riled up, though.
Not in the least. I just enjoy a good debate.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:37 am
Heading for Poppyland

Not in the least. I just enjoy a good debate.
Good!

I'll say this much....The British Empire in the opinion of the history books, was the largest the world has ever known.... America didn't go to other countries and form colonies and rule over them (we just bomb them and call it a police action).....but England did colonize and did it for centuries and they affected a lot more people than the US ever dreamed of.
Not sure about "the opinion of history books." That's a question of historiography, a debate that could go on for ever.

Yes, the British Empire was large in terms of pink on the map (especially on Mercator Projection maps that make Canada look even bigger than it really is.)

But in terms of national policy determining the fates of the little people, I'd say the American Imperium has a larger footprint. I'm thinking of all the wars America has ramped up since 1945, the malign effects of US-driven Globalization, and direct US imperialism. And what about all the territory that America has expropriated since 1783 (or whatever year you want to date the US from.) In terms of ethnic cleansing and state sponsored terror not many countries can rival the US. I'm thinking of the Creek War, the one that made Andrew Jackson a national hero, and on and on and on over the next hundred years. So in terms of longevity of empire, the Americans have been building it up for over two hundred years. The British Empire lasted about that length of time or less (Clive of India till the Second World War... yes, WWII, when the Americans got their stooge Churchill to give up the Empire so the US could take charge.)
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Good!

Not sure about "the opinion of history books." That's a question of historiography, a debate that could go on for ever.

Yes, the British Empire was large in terms of pink on the map (especially on Mercator Projection maps that make Canada look even bigger than it really is.)

But in terms of national policy determining the fates of the little people, I'd say the American Imperium has a larger footprint. I'm thinking of all the wars America has ramped up since 1945, the malign effects of US-driven Globalization, and direct US imperialism. And what about all the territory that America has expropriated since 1783 (or whatever year you want to date the US from.) In terms of ethnic cleansing and state sponsored terror not many countries can rival the US. I'm thinking of the Creek War, the one that made Andrew Jackson a national hero, and on and on and on over the next hundred years. So in terms of longevity of empire, the Americans have been building it up for over two hundred years. The British Empire lasted about that length of time or less (Clive of India till the Second World War... yes, WWII, when the Americans got their stooge Churchill to give up the Empire so the US could take charge.)
Documentation please?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:29 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Documentation please?
Since when was documentation required for assertions made in BE posts??
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:51 am
Heading for Poppyland

But if I was going to provide documentation it might start with this bibliography -
Winston S. Churchill, 1874-1965: A Comprehensive Historiography and Annotated Bibliography
and also include a couple of the books by Correlli Barnett about Winston Churchill & the dismantling of the British Empire.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The second empire didn't end because America made it happen. The empire ended because the British realized it was too expensive to maintain one and empire was no longer profitable.

After WWII (which last time I checked was Hitler's idea).....Britain simply didn't have the spare capital to export it abroad as it done for centuries. But the beginning of the end had started years before that. It had been leaking colonies for decades.

As much as I know it's easy to blame America for everything, please don't make me laugh by blaming the fall of the British Empire on them too.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

The second empire didn't end because America made it happen. The empire ended because the British realized it was too expensive to maintain one and empire was no longer profitable.

After WWII (which last time I checked was Hitler's idea).....Britain simply didn't have the spare capital to export it abroad as it done for centuries. But the beginning of the end had started years before that. It had been leaking colonies for decades.

As much as I know it's easy to blame America for everything, please don't make me laugh by blaming the fall of the British Empire on them too.
Yes it is true that Hitler caused the Second World War. I don't think anyone here suggested otherwise?

And I don't "blame" America for the "fall" of the British Empire. I'm glad the UK government dismantled the Empire in a relatively orderly manner.. a little late in the day, as Labour Party theorists such as Leonard Woolf had argued forcefully for Indian self-government back in the 1920s, for instance. But better late than never.

However, world imperial power was a zero-sum game. It was long-term US policy to kick the UK off its perch and to take over themselves. Iraq, Iran, the Gulf? Caribbean & South America?
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

...till the Second World War... yes, WWII, when the Americans got their stooge Churchill to give up the Empire so the US could take charge.)

That seems like you're blaming America for the end of the empire to me.

Everyone's a victim.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:53 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we are a little off track comparing histories

What really matters is the here and now.

I think it I am hanging on to the following two facts:

A I can change the political environment by simply moving to another State or part of a State

B The direction of the US since 1787 has been a constant liberalisation. The abolition of slavery - votes for non property owners- votes for women, 18 years olds - action on domestic violence - gay right- and now some move on health care. It is a one way street of liberalization and it will continue. So at least I am in a nation that grows more and more liberal on a daily basis and has been doing for 2 hundred years with a blip for prohibition.

Actually, even Iran and Saudi are in the same direction albeit very, very, very slowly.

I suppose the right wingers around me who would shoot illegals at the border etc are are only becoming nastier because they know they are losing - and with every passing year, the time when they could lynch and starve people recedes into history.

We have decided to both become dual nationals US/UK eventually so we are insulated from the possibility of being denied health care in the US and then dying in poverty.
This can happen even with good insurance so it's always a fear.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

Everyone's a victim.
I just quibble over the word blame. It sounds accusatory, a bit value-laden. Britain followed its own national interest, the US also followed its own national interest. In terms of the US quest for world domination, there was a clash! Just an objective observation..
OK ... Congress, Presidents, various think-tanks haven't called it world domination, but that is what it is.
Manifest Destiny ...
Providential Destiny..
American Exceptionalism..
New American Century...
"Making the World Safe for Democracy" !!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:31 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

America didn't go to other countries and form colonies and rule over them (we just bomb them and call it a police action).....but England did colonize and did it for centuries and they affected a lot more people than the US ever dreamed of.

Ask anyone from the former colonies whether the English lording it over them was an ugly period in their history. See what kind of answers you get. If you were poor or committed a petty crime, you were sent to Australia never to see your family again. If you were a native Australian it was much worse.... If you were in America, you paid 'taxes' and got nothing in return for it.... If you were an African you got to work on the coffee plantations or if you were real lucky the English slave traders ( who had slagged off the Dutch slave traders) shipped you off to another colony.....if you were an Indian, you had the pleasure of serving the Lord and Master East India Company ...If you were Irish, you were booted off your lands and starved to death in the potato fields. If you were Welsh your Princes were slaughtered and castles were thrown up around your country to keep you in line. ....I could go on and on giving examples....Scotland, the Mid East, The West Indies, etc......but why bother.....
I'm weeping at all the injustices we did to the rest of the world.
Anything else? Or are you going to go back any further.. I mean should we all start complaiining to the Italians about the Romans behaviour towards the rest of Europe 2000 years ago?

Let's get back to slagging off the natives of today, shall we?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:33 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Just like everyone here will be blaming China and India for the end of US domination in another hundred years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.