Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

cost of moving back to uk from oz

cost of moving back to uk from oz

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 3:42 am
scoobydoo

Question cost of moving back to uk from oz

Please could all you peeps who have moved back to the uk from Australia give me some idea of the costs you incurred when moving back.

Flights, shipping (20ft container), or whether you sold all your belongings, cost you may have had in breaking a lease on rental accomodation, etc,etc.......

Just want to make sure that I don't overlook anything when I discuss this with my beloved spouse!!!:scared:

Thank you x

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:32 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are heading back from NZ.

We are having to sell up everything to get home. Just got quote to take dog back $5K - NZ dollars.

So for us its 2 x one way fights plus 1 dog.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:07 pm
cob
Just Joined

cob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of moving back to uk from oz

Originally posted by scoobydoo
Please could all you peeps who have moved back to the uk from Australia give me some idea of the costs you incurred when moving back.

Flights, shipping (20ft container), or whether you sold all your belongings, cost you may have had in breaking a lease on rental accomodation, etc,etc.......

Just want to make sure that I don't overlook anything when I discuss this with my beloved spouse!!!:scared:

Thank you x

Hi
We returned from Melbourne this year and paid $9000 for a 20ft container from Grace. We had quotes from 4 others but overall this was the best (included longer storage which we needed). We also broke our lease but only paid an extra month because it was let almost straight away. All our furniture arrived okay and we were happy with the service.
Having been back for 4 months we are wondering why we came back. We will be returning in the future but this time without the furniture, we will leave a base in the UK and travel between the two countries.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
we also returned from Melbourne. 20ft container with Kent was $6200 +insurance (think we that was approx $2k). Then there were flights, travel insurance, stopover hotel in Singapore (had to do stopover cos I was pregnant!). Hired a car for last few days in Melbourne after we had sold our car as we had a lot to do and lots of people to see. We sold a lot of stuff in Oz (washing machine, vacuum, spare double bed, microwave..as we had all these things in the UK anyway....otherwise we would have filled the container with as much as poss)

Set up cost in the UK really only involved buying a car - we already had a house that we had been renting out. Husband signed up for Job Seeker's Allowance on his return until he found a job. Bit of a shock tho coming back to Council Tax, car insurance, rego, house insurance, etc on no income!!!

Good luck, when are you coming back?
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cob
If you don't mind me asking, have you worked out why you came back?!! We have been a bit unsettled recently (been back 7 months now). We came back to have baby but keep having endless discussions about where we see ourselves in a few years. Still can't come up with a definitive answer!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

We're moving back from Perth but our shipping quotes have ranged from $6900-$8700 so it is worth shopping around. Flights were a lot more expensive than we thought they would be, as is dog (actually everything is!!) but we brought all our stuff out here so we are taking it all back-the money coming from selling the cars! Then you have to think of your house-we have found someone else to move into ours but they are still trying to charge us $400 for the inconvenience of setting up new leases etc. Also, setting back up in the UK-car, accomodation, will you rent or buy? If you rent you need deposit money etc, buying then all the solicitors fees etc.

It is a lot of money but it will so be worth it!

Originally posted by scoobydoo

Thank you x
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 4:51 pm
cob
Just Joined

cob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Cob
If you don't mind me asking, have you worked out why you came back?!! We have been a bit unsettled recently (been back 7 months now). We came back to have baby but keep having endless discussions about where we see ourselves in a few years. Still can't come up with a definitive answer!

Hi Hiddenpaw
Basically we came back to sort out a problem in the family. By the time we returned the problem had been solved. We jumped to quick and now wish we had waited a while longer.
We feel we are in limbo at the moment not to sure what to do for the best. We had sold our house in the UK and was renting in Oz, now we are renting here waiting for the house prices to drop. It's not all doom and gloom we are really glad we made the move and are in the position to return whenever we want to.
Looking again at our removel costs the figures did include insurance and some storage time, as I say for us it was the best price at the time. We went out with pickfords, and again the service was really good but this time around they where the dearest.
Hiddenpaw we are sure we met you at the meeting in the park, I think you turned up as we where going. We had already been in Oz about 18months but turned up to say hi to everyone, it would have been good if it was a bit warmer.