Cost of moving back.

Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Cost of moving back.

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had a rough idea of how much it would cost to ship back to the UK. We came out with a 20ft container but I am thinking more of a 40ft to return or sell a lot of stuff but that wouldn't make much sense as a lot of it is brand new like fridge, freezer, dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, lcd.

Rough figures would be appreciated and if there is anything else we need to factor in.

My list so far is:

flights
shipping
agents fees
solicitors or legal fees for house

Set up cost when back in the UK.
Rent covered as we can stay at my mums
Loss of earning if we can't find a job before we return
Stamp Duty
Cars
School uniforms and clothes

I am sure I'm forgetting things so if you can think of anything it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Poppet

I've been following property in my mum's area and it has dropped quite a bit. I am thinking that 2009/2010 might be the time to make the move back if we are going to so its a case of being a prepared as we can. Hubby off work over Xmas so can sort house out ready to sell. It needs a bit of a paint with small children just to spruce it up. We could take a hit and sell for less than we paid but then if the houses are dropping the UK it might work for us. I'm thinking out loud on here at the moment but trying to things rolling if its a window of opportunity we could take. I'm pretty gutted by the amount of equity we have left after moving to Australia and also I've been off work looking after the bambinos so our pot has got smaller since leaving the UK. Just before we left we were going to leave the area in Surrey we were living in because we couldn't afford a half decent house with only one wage (most people can't). Would be so happy if those houses dropped more but I am not so sure they will ever drop to a point we could just back in. The difference between say Northampton and Surrey has got bigger again I think. Not sure how to make a plan though in this market.

Hubby is also back looking into to doing some work in the UK next summer so that we could pay for flights for a trip back. Still early days but I so hope we can make that trip so that we can make a decision. If we do get the chance to go ahead could sell on our return but just hope it wouldn't be 6 months too late and the housing market here drops further and quickly. ahhhhh

Last edited by PoppetUK; Dec 14th 2008 at 2:48 am.