Cost comparisons

Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost comparisons

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
From my experience I have to say I wish we hadn't gone down the K1 route. I have been in the US for over three months now, and face probably the same again before I can consider employment. It's a long time to wait. I would have been better off waiting in the UK for the CR-1, working while I waited, and then come to the US.

In all honestly I don't know if I can make it another 3 months waiting for EAD. I am seriously thinking about going home.
Getting the EAD in hand should take *about* 90 days from the time you filed AOS. Did you not file AOS until almost the end of your first 90 days in the USA?

We usually advise people here who are doing the K-1 route, to make sure they know they won't be working for the first several months in the USA, and to prepare for it both financially and emotionally. I know it can take its toll on people. My own K-1 fiance spent only 3 weeks out of work when he first got here, and was already going stir-crazy at home.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:23 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost comparisons

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Getting the EAD in hand should take *about* 90 days from the time you filed AOS. Did you not file AOS until almost the end of your first 90 days in the USA?
It took about six weeks from entry to get the wedding arranged, then another two weeks to get everything together for AOS. We only got electronic NOA a couple of days ago. I am assuming the 90 day wait for EAD is from the NOA, not the date we sent it in?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We usually advise people here who are doing the K-1 route, to make sure they know they won't be working for the first several months in the USA, and to prepare for it both financially and emotionally. I know it can take its toll on people. My own K-1 fiance spent only 3 weeks out of work when he first got here, and was already going stir-crazy at home.
We definitely prepared financially, we have enough to survive without me working for at least a year or two. But nothing can prepare you for sitting at home with absolutely nothing to do, with my wife at work and uni it's tough.

It's made worse by knowing my ex-employers in the UK desperately want me back and have offered me a promotion and company car if I do return.