Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

converting full AU to UK license

converting full AU to UK license

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: converting full AU to UK license

What gives the UK the right to dinigh ME the right to have a legally registed and TAXd vehicle.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 2nd 2012 at 10:11 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warrigal
What gives the UK the right to dinigh ME the right to have a legally registed and TAXd vehicle.
Prevous response by someone else:
Originally Posted by Tr1boy
What does road tax and MOT have to with ownership of the car. They stay with the car not the owner. Are you buying a SORN car?
Followed by your response:
I not sure now, I bought the car/van with Road tax, Now The road tax has been removed from the vehicle (refunded to the seller). So now I have to get a new Road tax Disc and the MOT inspection is Due soon. But before that the insurance has to come, as I said No UK or EU licence, NO UK address, sorry from the insurance companys of the UK, No insurance.
Then came this response by another person:
Originally Posted by Pollyana
So you aren't in the UK, which explains why you have no UK address - which in turn probably explains why you can't get insurance Why would an insurance company insure someone to drive a car in the UK, when that person is not in the UK?
At the moment it's coming across as you have bought a vehicle which had some remaining road tax on it. Now you've got to tax the vehicle, and get an MOT too, but due to needing insurance before tax you're blaming the UK because apparently the seller chose to take the tax disc and get a refund.

Firstly, I think you need to check what you've actually bought, because you seem very unclear on the status of the vehicle.

Secondly, it appears from what you've said (although you've not been entirely clear) that you purchased a vehicle in the UK whilst overseas? So presumably either you've had someone check out the vehicle or you briefly visited the UK to check out the vehicle. If neither of these is the case and no one has checked the vehicle on your behalf, then that's not exactly the best thing to do in any country is it?

Thirdly, it is quite possible to get insurance with an oveseas licence. For example, check this FAQ on the Direct Line website.

Yes, you need an address in the UK to have a UK-registered car (just like in Australia you need an Australian address). Yes, you can get insurance with a foreign licence (as indicated in the link I've just given). Yes, you can get an MOT for the vehicle. Yes, you can then get road tax with both the MOT and insurance you have obtained.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

another person that decides to Demean me for being in this situation.

As is the common respone from UK based insurance

Thank you for your email.
We can only provide quotes for people that live in the UK for 6 months a year and have a valid UK or EU driving licence.
If you meet these requirements, please go online to our website and obtain a quote.

Yours Sincerely,

ecarinsurance.co.uk

The vehicle was bought with road tax until this year 2012, yes I suspect the seller removed the tax for refund after I paid the purchase price, just because they didn't get what they wanted for the vehicle. EBAY Auction Price.

So First step as I understand is 3rd party Insurance policy 250 to 270 gbp
May or may not need UK or EU licence, Must have UK address.

2nd and 3rd step road tax disc and Mot inspection, repairs , more big money in gbp.

4th Extra insurance, green card insurance for the european continent, more money in GBP

and 5th will it be legal in France, will I be legal in France with a non EU licence.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 3rd 2012 at 12:15 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

another person that decides to Demean me for being in this situation.
What situation??? You haven't been clear at all with your rambling. Some questions:

Where is your driving licence from?
Where are you living now?
What is your nationality?
How long do you expect to be in the UK for, and for what purpose?
Do you have relatives/friends in the UK with an address that you'll use when there?
How long do you expect to be in France for, and for what purpose?
Did you buy a vehicle on Ebay without checking it out first?
Did you buy a vehicle in the UK from a different country?
Have you attempted to call any insurance company (such as the one I indicated earlier) about insurance with a foreign licence?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Where is your driving licence from? Queensland Australia. C class vehicle up to 4.5 ton.

Where are you living now? Australia Due to leave to travel ASAP
No I don't need a travel visa.

How long do you expect to be in the UK for, and for what purpose?
Less than 24 hours Travel, Pick up a vehcle travel to the English channel ferry Port and Leave.

Do you have relatives/friends in the UK with an address that you'll use when there? No only the contact thats sorting out this.

How long do you expect to be in France for, and for what purpose?
Tourist travel 1 to 2 months 10/15 days around european continent.

Did you buy a vehicle on Ebay without checking it out first?

Yes I Paid the money to the seller via Pal pal tranasction, the vehicle is not the problem here.

Did you buy a vehicle in the UK from a different country?
Yes via Ebay and Pay pal

Have you attempted to call any insurance company (such as the one I indicated earlier) about insurance with a foreign licence?
I have contacted my via email many insurance companys, there commom respone is just as I have said No UK or EU licence No address Sorry we only give quotes to UK residsents.
I don't make Phone calls overseas.
I have a quote that my contact in the UK has set up for me with a uk adress so far it has not been able to be paid online It won't transact its being blocked somehow. maybe there won't accept a international transaction on master card.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

que? you're in the UK for 24 hrs and then going to France for 2 mths? why not buy a car in France as it will be LFD anyway. I don't see the importance of the UK connection?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

The vehicle (camper van) was bought there thats the UK connection to this

and there is no way around this EU residence rule in France Ther is in the UK, all you need is a address
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:26 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

The vehicle (camper van) was bought there thats the UK connection to this

and there is no way around this EU residence rule in France Ther is in the UK, all you need is a address
What age is the Camper Van? It will play an important roll on how easy it is to register in France. When reregistering all cars between countries in Europe you need a Certificate of Conformity older Vehicles don't have these certificates.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, my last shot. Get a friend to insure in the UK to insure it in their name and address and have you as a named driver on an International Licence (NRMA issue those). 100% you can do this as that's how Mrs TB was driving here for a year.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
What age is the Camper Van? It will play an important roll on how easy it is to register in France. When reregistering all cars between countries in Europe you need a Certificate of Conformity older Vehicles don't have these certificates.
Ka ora this topics not here now its on another topic.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

swamps0n is an unknown quantity at this point

probably about time for that really, me thinks!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

So how are you you going about this Swamps0n

thats right your a resident of GB now. No poblems.

No one in GB is prepared to do what you suggest Tr1boy
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
very Old 1993
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

swamps0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Warrigal : How am i going about what, sorry?
Over the last couple days each time I got an email saying there'd been an update to the thread I found the postings getting a little off track, and thought maybe you deserved your own thread.. with respect : due to the topics tangential velocity from my original enquiry over the last couple of days I have lost track of where we are. Feel free to summarise your question to me and I'd be happy to respond...

I do of course wish you good luck with your ongoing exchange, and hope you discover the answers you need with your own difficulties!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah just apply for a copy of ya ozi license .....stash your original and surrender the new one!.....You lost in surfers remember? ....I was there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.