Reload this Page >

Concerned about the process of moving back home

Concerned about the process of moving back home

Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

CUDDLES365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Concerned about the process of moving back home

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you were offered several hundred pounds for an hour or two of work, you'd hardly complain ... but that seems to be what you are doing. It's not "hard". I understand that coming back is stressful, but from what I have read on here, the HRT isn't that big a deal, it just involves a little work on your part to understand what is needed, and provide it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few weeks after coming back, you are then complaining about how easy it is for benefit cheats to fool the system, why should UK expats be allowed to waltz into a hospital while on holiday and get free treatment, etc.

Take a deep breath ... it really isn't as big a deal as you think, and the relatively minimal work you have to do in order to demonstrate that you are not on a brief benefit-paid holiday from the States. It currently seems like a huge hurdle because you probably have a lot of other things to deal with at the same time. You won't change the system, but you can change the way you respond to the system ... relax and focus your energies on doing what you need to do in order to comply with the rules. There are lots of folks on here who have been through this and there is plenty of advice already on past threads - maybe try an Advanced Search for HRT on MBTTUK. Good luck!
Thanks Dunroving, I guess I am a bit too stressed, I will take your advice and a deep breath and do my best. Thanks to all you guys who offered advice and knowledge, its really nice to know that there are mature, kind hearted and decent folks back home, wish me luck.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CUDDLES365
Thanks Dunroving, I guess I am a bit too stressed, I will take your advice and a deep breath and do my best. Thanks to all you guys who offered advice and knowledge, its really nice to know that there are mature, kind hearted and decent folks back home, wish me luck.
Mark Twain said something along the lines of "There were hundreds of terrible events in my life. Some of them actually happened". His point was that we fret about terrible things happening and most of the time the fear and anticipation is far worse than the eventual reality (which often ends up being no big deal). So, be diligent, but don't be fretful. Remember Mark Twain!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erica
Dunroving, what do you miss about the US. Just curious.
In rough order of importance:

My history. Many folks talk about MBTTUK because they miss their old friends, where they grew up, etc. (their "history"). For me, my history in the UK growing up is something I'd mostly rather forget, and I have very little contact with friends and family (in fact most close family are dead and gone anyway). However, from a long period spent in the States, I have many memories of "growing up" as an adult, and lots of dear friends and people who I consider (and who consider me) as family, in particular two close friends who I consider to be brothers (and vice versa). Also, I have a very well-established professional history in the States, so when I go to conferences it is almost like a professional family reunion.

Professional integrity (in my profession at least, i.e., academia). Despite its definite shortcomings, working in academia in the US is a much more rewarding experience, underpinned by professional integrity and student respect. In the UK, especially my current position, it's more like working in a bad comprehensive school at times. I enjoy my job maybe 10% of the time, whereas in the States it was closer to 90% of the time.

Optimism and positivity. Take the p*ss all you like about Americans being naive and unaware, but I'd much rather be faced with optimistic naivety every day than glumness and cynicism. I enjoy intellectual sophistication, but in so much UK entertainment where the critics laud "gritty realism" I see "worship of misery and cynicism" There are days I simply can't watch the news because it seems they've hired people to think of the most disturbing words possible and the newsreaders seem to be trained in dramatic effect ("barbaric cruelty", "horrific injuries", etc., etc.) I know sh*t happens in the world but sometimes the UK media seems to revel in it rather than in the goodness that exists in the world.

Standard of living (this is related to my personal situation). After working my way through 6 years of grad school, then working and saving like a dog for 10 years, I was mortgage-free. In the meantime, the insane housing bubble here in the UK, in conjunction with the dollar/pound exchange rate explosion prior to 2006, I now find myself with a 25-year £165k mortgage (I'm 13 years from retirement). I could go back to the US today and be (almost) mortgage-free again.

Lastly, the weather in the States suits my lifestyle much better. The dreadful roads and persistent rain around Glasgow mean that I rarely ride my bike any more, whereas I used to ride 4-5 days a week, 200-400 miles every week, most of the year in the States.

There's other stuff, but these are major things. I already went over the word limit.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

If you're unhappy where you are, does it help to move to another state or city? Sometimes I think maybe I would feel happy in the US if I moved out of this town. I wonder if I want to go home to England right now partly because i'm not happy in this town.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
If you're unhappy where you are, does it help to move to another state or city? Sometimes I think maybe I would feel happy in the US if I moved out of this town. I wonder if I want to go home to England right now partly because i'm not happy in this town.
I think this all depends on what you're fed up with in the first place... if it's only the place and not the rest of the package that comes with living in the US then yes... I just got fed up with not being able to travel like I used to in the UK, the crap holidays, expensive health service... missing British company, food, humour; shops, nightlife.. so no matter where I live in the states; that's not going to go away...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
I think this all depends on what you're fed up with in the first place... if it's only the place and not the rest of the package that comes with living in the US then yes... I just got fed up with not being able to travel like I used to in the UK, the crap holidays, expensive health service... missing British company, food, humour; shops, nightlife.. so no matter where I live in the states; that's not going to go away...
Well, let's just say that there's nothing in this town and if I had the chance I'd have moved to a different location in the States already. I miss my family in the UK more than anything else. But because I haven't really had the opportunity to move to the places in the US I really wanted to be all along, I feel like I can't know for sure that I wouldn't be happy living in one of those places. It doesn't help that I also hate my job and there aren't many opportunities for changing that here.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:48 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Well, let's just say that there's nothing in this town and if I had the chance I'd have moved to a different location in the States already. I miss my family in the UK more than anything else. But because I haven't really had the opportunity to move to the places in the US I really wanted to be all along, I feel like I can't know for sure that I wouldn't be happy living in one of those places. It doesn't help that I also hate my job and there aren't many opportunities for changing that here.
Where do you live now?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

I would give it ago and have a bash at living in another part of the states. Know what you mean about the job situation.. that's how I feel here; I do feel very stuck in a rut, which is something that I had never experienced back in London. I would say try living somewhere else and then you'll have your answer. This is my second place in the states now (we lived in Miami before)and I'm realising that no matter where we live in the US, I'll still be pining for all those things I miss back home, despite Austin being a great city.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

I would give it ago and have a bash at living in another part of the states. Know what you mean about the job situation.. that's how I feel here; I do feel very stuck in a rut, which is something that I had never experienced back in London. I would say try living somewhere else and then you'll have your answer. This is my second place in the states now (we lived in Miami before)and I'm realising that no matter where we live in the US, I'll still be pining for all those things I miss back home, despite Austin being a great city.
Have to agree with you here. This is my second place to live too. First was CA which I really quite liked. To me CA is more like a different country, than a different state. For the last 2 years I have been in Memphis - me and the south just do not go together! We were thinking of moving to another state but really I believe I would still be unhappy. Have friends here but they can't make up for my family, especially my daughter who is at Brighton Uni.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patzy
Have to agree with you here. This is my second place to live too. First was CA which I really quite liked. To me CA is more like a different country, than a different state. For the last 2 years I have been in Memphis - me and the south just do not go together! We were thinking of moving to another state but really I believe I would still be unhappy. Have friends here but they can't make up for my family, especially my daughter who is at Brighton Uni.
Yeah I had no idea it would be so difficult to be away from family and friends. I really regret not watching my niece and nephew grow up and all the weddings, births that we keep missing. I just have this constant feeling of missing out all the time.. Can't wait to get back!!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

To Cuddles, as a UK citizen returning home even after 15 years you are treated as being resident and entitled to benefits from the first day that you step off the plane. What you will need to do is do things to show that you intend to make the UK your home again i.e. register with a GP for example, register on the electoral role.

When you go to the DWP they will ask if you have lived outside of the EU and returning from abroad at which time you will need to say yes and they may make you sit the HRT. If for any reason they decline you or state that you have a waiting period then you should quote the Swaddling decision and state you are going to refer your case to your MP. Throwing the MP bit in there always helps. There is a lot of info on the web on the Swaddling decision but basically it sets a precedent stating that UK citizens returning from abroad with the intention of becoming resident again are classed as residents from day 1.

If you put everything into place and have your facts you will be fine.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, there is more to me wanting to go home than just needing a better town or city to live in, but I suppose I'm thinking in the mean time maybe I would be happier. I'm still considering waiting for citizenship eligibility. It would be cool to be able to visit Europe more easily again, especially since hubby hasn't been before!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

We were supposed to move somewhere new this summer, but you know how plans don't always work out! Anyway, now we're stuck here for another year, but after that we can move.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Erica
Where do you live now?
A small town in West Virginia. It's not really a good fit for me, and never has been, but i've made it work so far. Hubby wants to leave too!