Reload this Page >

The Colour of the Grass...

The Colour of the Grass...

Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

joshh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Colour of the Grass...

Hello there,

I'm after a bit of impartial advice please (if there's such a thing).

I moved to Australia when I was thirteen with my Dad and his other two kids. I joined the police when I was nineteen with the intention of moving away at some point, possibly back to the UK. I took a year off work in November and left my girlfriend with the intention of travelling and came back to the UK, I've been here since.

I've got myself a girlfriend, a job and I live with family. I have a little side business teaching martial arts classes and I like to visit places, see things etc.

I imagine myself growing old with a nice little cottage in the countryside, and don't really want to live in Perth forever. The problem is money, I could go back to my career and earn a lot more than I do here in my dumpy office job. I also can't study or join the police here due to the three year residency rule, so I'm stuck for at least three years (I'm twenty five).

All I really want to do is settle down, but the fact that I've lived in two different places seems to haunt me. There's too many what if's, such as Brexit here, the mining downturn in Perth etc etc. You'd think that having options would be a good thing, but it's driving me nuts. All I seem to do is compare everything (which I know is unhealthy) but I can't help it. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on Google maps and it's becoming a bit of an obsession.

Has anyone else experienced this? Because no-one else around me has and I find it hard to talk to people who can't relate to me. I'm not asking for a magic solution to the problem but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Colour of the Grass...

Ah, the "road less travelled" syndrome!

You will spend a lifetime wondering how things might have turned out if you had taken the other fork in the road. This happens to ex-pats especially, but it happens to everyone.

I suggest you figure out what it is you actually like doing and go for it. Life is to short to do the wise thing so you are "better off". If it is traveling that turns you on then look to work in the travel industry. It is what you are doing and who you are doing it with that matters. Where you are doing it is a lot less important.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I would advise staying long enough to get your Australian citizenship, then if you still feel you want to go back, you have your options open. I think citizenship obtained via naturalisation can be passed on to any children you have. At least that's how it works with UK citizenship so expect it is the same with Oz citizenship.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I would advise staying long enough to get your Australian citizenship, then if you still feel you want to go back, you have your options open. I think citizenship obtained via naturalisation can be passed on to any children you have. At least that's how it works with UK citizenship so expect it is the same with Oz citizenship.
I have an Australian passport. I'm currently in the UK, wondering whether I should go back to Australia. I have until November to decide
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:18 pm
Down & Safe

Avon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joshh
I imagine myself growing old with a nice little cottage in the countryside, and don't really want to live in Perth forever. The problem is money, I could go back to my career and earn a lot more than I do here in my dumpy office job. I also can't study or join the police here due to the three year residency rule, so I'm stuck for at least three years (I'm twenty five).
My wife & I are going through the process of moving from Canada back to the UK, but if we were to base our decision on financial matters alone we wouldn't be leaving. I would be earning about the same as I do here, but my wife is facing at best a 50% pay cut in her field of work (teaching). Everybody's circumstances are different of course, & there are other factors in play for us also, but one thing I've learned in life is that you can't put a price on inner peace & contentment

Wish you the best of luck
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Vinny17 is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents had the choice of emigrating from the UK to Canada or New Zealand back in the 1950's. They were from farming families. They chose Canada. Knowing what I know now, I wish they had chosen New Zealand.

Fortunately I ended up with British and Canadian citizenship. I think Canada is in for a tough couple of decades due to government mismanagement. England looks very good in comparison, and I am hoping to move in the next couple of years.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you're only 25 so a few decades until you're at the settling down in the little cottage in the countryside of England stage. If you come back, will you leave the current girlfriend and take up with the old girlfriend, will the current girlfriend come back with you? Are you satisfied with the jobs you are holding? Do you want to go back to the Police in WA? Do you have a place in Perth or were you just renting? If you came back to the Police, could you get a transfer somewhere else in the Country? Would moving States be something that you're interested in doing? If you come back to the Police, would you be able to do a Martial Art teaching job at the same time (If it's something that interests you enough)? Would you set up your own MA school and drop the Police? So many questions!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well you're only 25 so a few decades until you're at the settling down in the little cottage in the countryside of England stage. If you come back, will you leave the current girlfriend and take up with the old girlfriend, will the current girlfriend come back with you? Are you satisfied with the jobs you are holding? Do you want to go back to the Police in WA? Do you have a place in Perth or were you just renting? If you came back to the Police, could you get a transfer somewhere else in the Country? Would moving States be something that you're interested in doing? If you come back to the Police, would you be able to do a Martial Art teaching job at the same time (If it's something that interests you enough)? Would you set up your own MA school and drop the Police? So many questions!
My girlfriend wouldn't come with me, and I definitely won't be taking up the old one. I'd go live with a friend until I sorted everything out. I don't really enjoy both jobs I've had, but then again, who does? I have a MA school over there I could work for, though it would take a while to build up a client base, as it is here.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

I'm after a bit of impartial advice please (if there's such a thing).

I moved to Australia when I was thirteen with my Dad and his other two kids. I joined the police when I was nineteen with the intention of moving away at some point, possibly back to the UK. I took a year off work in November and left my girlfriend with the intention of travelling and came back to the UK, I've been here since.

I've got myself a girlfriend, a job and I live with family. I have a little side business teaching martial arts classes and I like to visit places, see things etc.

All I really want to do is settle down, but the fact that I've lived in two different places seems to haunt me. There's too many what if's, such as Brexit here, the mining downturn in Perth etc etc. You'd think that having options would be a good thing, but it's driving me nuts. All I seem to do is compare everything (which I know is unhealthy) but I can't help it. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on Google maps and it's becoming a bit of an obsession.

Has anyone else experienced this? Because no-one else around me has and I find it hard to talk to people who can't relate to me. I'm not asking for a magic solution to the problem but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh

Hi Josh,

We moved back from Perth WA in 2010 after living there for over 12 years, we were all too busy here at first to compare "things" we look back now and we say "oh that was nice....it was hot in the summer" that type of thing but its with a fondness, I was always encouraged to look forward if "things" were not working out the way I planned and how to make things better. I know how you feel about others understanding your situation and feelings, you have this site now though to help. When you have so many choices as you do it can make things harder in a way so I would first start with 1) would you live in the Uk if you had a job you liked, 2) if you want back to Aus would you miss the family you have in the UK and your girlfriend, 3) and of course could you leave us fabulous Brits lol, seriously if we had decided on money and jobs we would never of moved back to the UK we did very well in that respect in Aus but we were not truly happy there and that's what truly matters...being happy. If you truly feel you want to stay in the UK and you want to join the Police Force etc then set your mind to it (I have known people to join the Police force in WA and the Armed forces after migrating) so do the same here, if you do not have a British passport then obtain one, if you do decide on staying in the UK then really think about what you actually would like to do as a job here and start making enquiries, your young and there is tons of help and advice out there and assistance if needed. Good luck with everything and I hope the decision you make works for you.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your advice, it's been very helpful and good to have some different perspectives. The biggest thing that I've taken from it all is to do what makes you happy.

There's parts of this country that are pretty bad, I got lost in Hillsborough the other day and it was awful. Saying that there are also absolutely amazing places that I've never experienced previously, having come from Hull and spending the majority of my life there until I was thirteen. Not that Hull is a particularly bad place now, but it was then, and that side of my family are content where they live and therefore don't venture out much. I live about halfway between Hull and Leeds now, and I think it's a really nice area.

What the expats in Australia failed to mention to me when they were slagging off Britain was the fact that there are actually really nice places, and nice people too. I've been to Edinburgh, London, York, the Isle of Man, Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Kilkenny in Ireland since I moved back in November. All of these places had good parts and bad parts, and were not teeming with yobs like my friends in Perth led me to believe.

I think I'm definitely happier over here, I enjoy the countryside, the old stately homes, castles and anything historic as they all make me a bit proud to be from this country (dare I say it). I also have good family members and a girlfriend that I like to spend time with.

I've picked a goal and I shall stick to it. I've enrolled in an Open University course (BA History) with the intention of picking up work in the education industry, seeing as they're so low on staff. I'd also like to move a bit closer to York, as I love spending time there as does my girlfriend, so I'm applying for jobs in the area.

Again, thank you all so much for your advice, it has been invaluable.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

I've picked a goal and I shall stick to it. I've enrolled in an Open University course (BA History) with the intention of picking up work in the education industry, seeing as they're so low on staff. I'd also like to move a bit closer to York, as I love spending time there as does my girlfriend, so I'm applying for jobs in the area.

Again, thank you all so much for your advice, it has been invaluable.
In this day and age you would have been better enrolling in a Science/technology/engineering/math course, rather then history.

Far more opportunity to obtain decent jobs with those degrees.

What does "picking up work in the education industry" mean anyway?
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

caferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nice

G,Day Josh, Ive been though it, back to OZ back to the UK, back to OZ..East perth/Adelaide....there comes a time, when , well for me, if i didnt make a decision id have nothing left....Ironic...I chose Hillsborough!!!!...I love it here, been Norwich , Worcester, York, Brugh!, Aberdeen...Hillsborough and Walkly are actually really nice, yeah many old workers terraces, but they all lead onto Middlewood Road which is a cool place, (mind we did have an armed Robbeary on Thursday, on the travel agents the sledge hammer hole is still in the window)....tram 10 mins to town, best and cheapest Boxing club in the UK!!, Assay office, creative spaces, well i like it....yeah its gritty...but more life than say Norwich or Worcester...Brum is grimy, but you still in Hillsbourgh???
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
In this day and age you would have been better enrolling in a Science/technology/engineering/math course, rather then history.

Far more opportunity to obtain decent jobs with those degrees.

What does "picking up work in the education industry" mean anyway?
I don't believe I'd do well in any of those disciplines, simply because I'm not interested in them. Why do something for the rest of your life that you know you won't enjoy?

It means working in the education industry. So teaching, or jobs similar until I'm qualified, such as a TA, or student support in a college/university.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by caferacer59
G,Day Josh, Ive been though it, back to OZ back to the UK, back to OZ..East perth/Adelaide....there comes a time, when , well for me, if i didnt make a decision id have nothing left....Ironic...I chose Hillsborough!!!!...I love it here, been Norwich , Worcester, York, Brugh!, Aberdeen...Hillsborough and Walkly are actually really nice, yeah many old workers terraces, but they all lead onto Middlewood Road which is a cool place, (mind we did have an armed Robbeary on Thursday, on the travel agents the sledge hammer hole is still in the window)....tram 10 mins to town, best and cheapest Boxing club in the UK!!, Assay office, creative spaces, well i like it....yeah its gritty...but more life than say Norwich or Worcester...Brum is grimy, but you still in Hillsbourgh???
Crime doesn't necessarily make an area bad, there was loads of robberies in East Perth that I attended and it was a nice around there.

I'm not quite sure where I was to be honest, my data ran out on the way to Meadowhall. It was near the stadium anyway, so I assumed the area was Hillsborough. I just googled Middleton Road and it looks quite nice, it definitely wasn't around there.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

caferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nice

I think you were towards Bramel Lane, thats Sheffield Uniteds ground, A bit of a dogs breakfast around there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.