College costs

Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default College costs

I'm going through a divorce through mediation and moving my two daughters back to the UK. The mediator wants to know the procedure and costs of children going to college. I know it's cheaper if you're a resident as opposed to international students.

It's been a while since I did college so can anyone give me approximate costs and procedures. What grants are available etc?

Thank you
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: College costs

Originally Posted by whistlestop01
I'm going through a divorce through mediation and moving my two daughters back to the UK. The mediator wants to know the procedure and costs of children going to college. I know it's cheaper if you're a resident as opposed to international students.

It's been a while since I did college so can anyone give me approximate costs and procedures. What grants are available etc?

Thank you
If you and your daughters move to and live in Scotland for three years before the start of the college / university course, then they do not need to pay any tuition fees.

SAAS Full Time Student Information

Please see link below for the level of support in Scotland -

SAAS Full Time Student Information
Old Mar 6th 2016, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

*Generally* speaking, for England, your daughters will need to be "ordinarily resident" in the UK for the 3 years preceeding their admission to college/university to avoid international student fees.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

They are only 10 and 7 so plenty of time to be resident. I will be in England so what are the rules and costs for there
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Since colleges have their own costs and charges why don't you search a couple of well known universities in the UK and get an idea of "ball park" costs - taking into account that current costs will increase over the years until your children are ready to go to college.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Since colleges have their own costs and charges why don't you search a couple of well known universities in the UK and get an idea of "ball park" costs - taking into account that current costs will increase over the years until your children are ready to go to college.

For example: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...n-fees?wssl=1#
Old Mar 6th 2016, 9:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They are only 10 and 7 so plenty of time to be resident. I will be in England so what are the rules and costs for there
Remember rules and costs can (and almost certainly will) change drastically between now and when your children reach the age of 18 and head off to University!
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through a divorce through mediation and moving my two daughters back to the UK. The mediator wants to know the procedure and costs of children going to college. I know it's cheaper if you're a resident as opposed to international students. It's been a while since I did college so can anyone give me approximate costs and procedures. What grants are available etc? Thank you
Hi, If you and your children are British Citizens are moving permanently back to England and if they do/want to attend college then it will be free as in England students do not pay for education up until the age of 19. If your children then want to attend Uni after college attending college in the UK they will then be charged the current fee's the University of their choice charges for their chosen course. Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, If you and your children are British Citizens are moving permanently back to England and if they do/want to attend college then it will be free as in England students do not pay for education up until the age of 19. If your children then want to attend Uni after college attending college in the UK they will then be charged the current fee's the University of their choice charges for their chosen course. Good luck
I think the OP meant university, not sixth form. OP is in the States, where university is often referred to as "college".
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you and your daughters are going to be living full time in the UK for at least 3 years prior to going to university then they will be eligible for domestic tuition fees.

AT THE MOMENT- once they have taken up an offer of a place at a university, then the government pays the university the tuition costs. Once your children graduate and start earning over about £20k , the tuition costs will be deducted from their salaries before they receive it - like PAYE tax. So , in effect, it is not you paying for their tuition fees but them. Current fees are in the region of £9-£10k per year. Unless you are living in Wales, in which case the Welsh government charges you £3k.

You will need to budget about £10k per year living expenses - more if in London/SE.