Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

Wikiposts

Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

After much research (18 years abroad) in warm and cold climes I conclude British weather is pretty near perfect, just the right balance of warm and cold. In my current situations its -7 C outside and way to warm in the summer. Mind you I have lived in paradise as well but would still choose the UK's seasons.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:14 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It struggled to get above 20F in New Jersey yesterday.

After over 12 years I still miss the long summer days...when it doesn't go dark until 10.30pm.
My brother called me from Jersey the other day he was throwing the football around with his son in the park.He had to wear gloves to keep warm.Love all the years I spent in New Jersey because it is a wonderful place but do not miss the winters there.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I think so. I've lived in SA for nearly 30 years, so I'm used to a completely different climate. I visited the UK for a couple of weeks in May (for the first time in 20 years), and was pretty lucky, but my daughter was there a few weeks later and it rained most of the time. She was born and grew up here, and couldn't believe how cold and wet it was in the British summer!

I don't mind cold weather but the combination of cold/wet/wind and overcast skies is a bit much. Might have to get used to it again though, because my wife lives there and I'm thinking about going back. I suppose there are compensations.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:29 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
I don't mind cold weather but the combination of cold/wet/wind and overcast skies is a bit much. Might have to get used to it again though, because my wife lives there and I'm thinking about going back. I suppose there are compensations.
Absolutely right - in fact the bigger problem for me is that it's the cold/wet/wind that seems to last from October to May - the odd week here and there are ok, but not months on end. The great thing about SA weather is the predictability. Hot summers with thunderstorms every afternoon - cool winter nights and warm days. Also debating going back and the weather is one of the big factors stopping me.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:30 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
It does worry me a little.....how the weather affects people's moods. People who live in a sunnier climate do seem happier and more cheerful. As they say, it's far easier to be depressed in the sun that it is in the freezing cold.
There again, the intense heat can make people angry and overreact.

Now there's a question. Do people living in the heat get more aggressive than people living in a cold climate? In my experience, I would say yes. Not directly at me, but at each other. I notice angry drivers much more here.
I imagine going to a hot climate from a coolish tempt environment can have a similar effect on one's mood.Think I read a survey that said most babies were mademore often during the winter months when couples were indoors because of the cold climate.Another reason to pick the UK

I do wonder if the wet cold would effect a person's breathing or make someone more prone to colds and sickness by weakening the immune system?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:44 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I imagine going to a hot climate from a coolish tempt environment can have a similar effect on one's mood.Think I read a survey that said most babies were mademore often during the winter months when couples were indoors because of the cold climate.Another reason to pick the UK

I do wonder if the wet cold would effect a person's breathing or make someone more prone to colds and sickness by weakening the immune system?

I don't think the cold makes flu or colds more prevalent, however, cold and damp can make arthritic conditions worse.
My friends used to die laughing at me for being very keen not to catch germs. When using a public toilet, I always used a tissue to push open the door. When my children used a public toilet, I held their hands up so that they didn't touch the seat. As soon as I'd been shopping, I'd wash my hands before I unpacked the shopping because 1,000's of other hands had also held the trolley and whenever I'd handled money, I'd wash my hands.
I was honestly never ill.

Here in Australia, I'm always catching something and I think it's because the heat incubates more bacteria. I'm frequently having to bleach dishcloths and tea towels. The cold seems better for slowing down bacteria so another good reason to go home.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:01 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
After much research (18 years abroad) in warm and cold climes I conclude British weather is pretty near perfect, just the right balance of warm and cold. In my current situations its -7 C outside and way to warm in the summer. Mind you I have lived in paradise as well but would still choose the UK's seasons.
Suits me too.

I must be weird as i love the cold dark days in winter. It makes me feel cosy inside when you heat the house up and snuggle up to the ones you love.

Coming from near London, I found that it never really got unbareably cold for me! I can even count on my fingers the amount of times it snowed all the time i lived there. Maybe we were in some micro climate.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the UK weather can affect your health in a number of ways. Snow and Ice can make it dangerous on the roads (and there are always lots of serious crashes because of it). I understand a small number of people (mainly elderly) actually die from the cold in Britain most years. As already said a lack of exposure to sun can inhibit Vitamin D production.

On the other hand, Australian weather can also affect your health due to too much sun exposure causing skin cancer, and sometimes sunstroke.

Mental health is just as important as physical health and being where you feel happiest certainly has a huge impact on your mental health!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:29 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Yorkshire and we were always outside playing even in the snow.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers wet and soggy gloves. Bright pink cheeks from the cold and the exhileration of a snow fight and frozen toes inside cheap rubber wellies that kept your feet dry but never warm.

I can still remember the tingling when you went inside and your fingers and toes started to warm up again. We were never sick though.

Italian mamma's on the other hand are known hypochondriacs. They wrap their kids up in hats and scarves as soon as the tempertaures start to drop in October. They walk the 2 metres from the car to the school door with an umbrella even in very slight rain as they are so scared of getting a drop of rain on their heads. They dry their kids' hair with hair dryers all the time even though the house might be roasting. They are so wrapped up and molly-coddled that as soon as they do spend any time outside they invariably pick up some cold or cough.....so the mammies keep them wrapped up at home for a week and of course as soon as they go out again they get another cold !
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:32 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers wet and soggy gloves. Bright pink cheeks from the cold and the exhileration of a snow fight and frozen toes inside cheap rubber wellies that kept your feet dry but never warm.

I can still remember the tingling when you went inside and your fingers and toes started to warm up again. We were never sick though.

Italian mamma's on the other hand are known hypochondriacs. They wrap their kids up in hats and scarves as soon as the tempertaures start to drop in October. They walk the 2 metres from the car to the school door with an umbrella even in very slight rain as they are so scared of getting a drop of rain on their heads. They dry their kids' hair with hair dryers all the time even though the house might be roasting. They are so wrapped up and molly-coddled that as soon as they do spend any time outside they invariably pick up some cold or cough.....so the mammies keep them wrapped up at home for a week and of course as soon as they go out again they get another cold !
Argggh, you made me remember. Chilblains!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
Paradise? Where's that?
I assume you don't mean Paradise as n the Adelaide suburb!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:46 pm
Banned

I don't think the cold makes flu or colds more prevalent, however, cold and damp can make arthritic conditions worse.
My friends used to die laughing at me for being very keen not to catch germs. When using a public toilet, I always used a tissue to push open the door. When my children used a public toilet, I held their hands up so that they didn't touch the seat. As soon as I'd been shopping, I'd wash my hands before I unpacked the shopping because 1,000's of other hands had also held the trolley and whenever I'd handled money, I'd wash my hands.
I was honestly never ill.

Here in Australia, I'm always catching something and I think it's because the heat incubates more bacteria. I'm frequently having to bleach dishcloths and tea towels. The cold seems better for slowing down bacteria so another good reason to go home.
Females can hold their hands up in the bathroom and manage just fine doesn't work that well for us guys

You are 100% right about living in a place with 3 or more seasons.The winter months kill all the pollin in the air while here in florida the summers can produce breathing issues for people with existing health concerns.

Last edited by YankeemovingAbroad; Dec 9th 2008 at 6:56 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Argggh, you made me remember. Chilblains!
You know, the only time I have ever had chilblains was here in Canberra when we first arrived. I took something which got rid of them very effectively. However, my Dh gets them every year here (shocking circulation!) and is always moaning about them.

As for the British climate - I actually prefer the long summer days and short winter days. The cold is not a huge issue because you can always rug up against it whereas when you compare it with Aussie summer heat there is no escape except indoors in air conditioning. When you have had so long a drought that you check the BOM site daily just longing for a few blue pixels you know that your weather life has become very sad!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

How true is that!

My kids loved playing in the snow, they were always outside in UK after school. Yes they got cold, but never were ill with it.

Some people are just big babies lol.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by backagen
Paradise? Where's that?
I assume you don't mean Paradise as n the Adelaide suburb!
No never been to OZ Bermuda and Hawaii 4 years in each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.