Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:39 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

Just check the yahoo weather report for the west,east,north and south regions of the UK.Liverpool,Manchester to Brighton the report has the weather rainy and windy with low tempts near 32 degrees.In your opinion what weather condition is worse in the UK? Would it be the tempts,the constant rain,the snow,the lack of sunny days or a combination of weather factors? Do you think the UK weather can have a adverse effect on your health?

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:47 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold,Windy,Rainy,Does bad Uk weather turn you off?

Give me British weather any day........I've spent too many brutal winters in Canada where snow shovelling is the national sport, and too many humid summers being eaten alive by various winged creatures. You don't have to shovel rain!
So no, "bad" weather doesn't turn me off at all
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
.....the snow...

UK climate is pretty much without extremes.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:16 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Just check the yahoo weather report for the west,east,north and south regions of the UK.Liverpool,Manchester to Brighton the report has the weather rainy and windy with low tempts near 32 degrees.In your opinion what weather condition is worse in the UK? Would it be the tempts,the constant rain,the snow,the lack of sunny days or a combination of weather factors? Do you think the UK weather can have a adverse effect on your health?

Thanks
The lack of sunshine can affect your health because it inhibits the production of Vit D. For me the worse part of the weather is the bad light (I'm a designer) and the damp drizzle otherwise I love the frost, snow and the sunsets.
It's been 32 degrees and very high humidity here lately. I find the heat unbearable but then here's the rub. I walk out every morning onto my deck, sit down in a comfy chair looking across at a river and park. The sun's warmth is lovely and it's very peaceful apart from the cicadas. My back yard is totally secluded and private so there is no noise or disruption.
I often compare this to how I'd start my day in england and I have to say I would miss it.
In England, I could do the same in summer but in 8 months of winter, it would be tea, TV and twaddle from the newscaster. No comparison really.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

the weather plays no part in my decision really doesn't bother me at all. I like four defined seasons don't really get that here.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

No it doesn't turn me off.

Maybe i thought it did, that's why we ended up in Perth. Now we realise it's not important at all. UK weather is fine for us.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I am so much healthier and happier all year round than I was in the UK and it's all down to weather as apart from what seemed to be very very long dark dank dismal winters I was as happy as a pig in shit with my life.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:44 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Think you`ll find its the constant grey skies over the winter period (several months) that gets the majority of people down in the UK, along with the fact that it gets dark by 4 o`clock or so in winter as well. You have to remember as well, that moaning about the weather is kind of like the national sport in the UK and you`ll hear this frequently being discussed. Also you`ll get days of constant drizzle instead of chucking the rain down all in one go which is probably what your used to in Florida. As somebody said you`ll get 4 seasons but to be honest they are not that defined so don`t rely on them, they are there but you have to kind of look for them. Quite often a lot of the elderly in the UK, pour out over the winter period and often come to Spain for the winter sun and blue skies etc but saying that, it spins in circles because those same elderly have long gone back to the UK before the Spanish summer hits which is 3 months of hell:curse: Despite my negative post on the UK weather, personally its something I don`t mind..........But then again I suppose I am kinda weird
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:12 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

It does worry me a little.....how the weather affects people's moods. People who live in a sunnier climate do seem happier and more cheerful. As they say, it's far easier to be depressed in the sun that it is in the freezing cold.
There again, the intense heat can make people angry and overreact.

Now there's a question. Do people living in the heat get more aggressive than people living in a cold climate? In my experience, I would say yes. Not directly at me, but at each other. I notice angry drivers much more here.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
It struggled to get above 20F in New Jersey yesterday.

After over 12 years I still miss the long summer days...when it doesn't go dark until 10.30pm.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:13 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Going from Florida, the British climate is likely to be difficult for you, yes. Except that you're only going to be there in the spring and summer. Longer days than in Florida, and a good chance of decent weather unless you like to bake in the sun.

The climate doesn't bother me. It's not a lot different to British Columbia, though it's dry here in Victoria for a chunk of the summer. Wetter in Vancouver.

Growing up in England, I don't remember ever being bothered by the weather, the short winter days and such.I was definitely bothered by the Canadian winter east of the Rockies. Horrid! For a long, long, loooong time.

Bev
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:19 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
The lack of sunshine can affect your health because it inhibits the production of Vit D. For me the worse part of the weather is the bad light (I'm a designer) and the damp drizzle otherwise I love the frost, snow and the sunsets.
It's been 32 degrees and very high humidity here lately. I find the heat unbearable but then here's the rub. I walk out every morning onto my deck, sit down in a comfy chair looking across at a river and park. The sun's warmth is lovely and it's very peaceful apart from the cicadas. My back yard is totally secluded and private so there is no noise or disruption.
I often compare this to how I'd start my day in england and I have to say I would miss it.
In England, I could do the same in summer but in 8 months of winter, it would be tea, TV and twaddle from the newscaster. No comparison really.
Get a SAD light from Boots. Will help with Vit D levels as well as mood during the dark seasons.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:25 am
Banned

It does worry me a little.....how the weather affects people's moods. People who live in a sunnier climate do seem happier and more cheerful. As they say, it's far easier to be depressed in the sun that it is in the freezing cold.
There again, the intense heat can make people angry and overreact.

Now there's a question. Do people living in the heat get more aggressive than people living in a cold climate? In my experience, I would say yes. Not directly at me, but at each other. I notice angry drivers much more here.
Then I look across at my neighbours and I see my male neighbour stood outside in his yard rearranging himself in his boardwalk shorts. Horrible sight.
On balance, the morning starts in the UK would probably be kinder on the eyes. I can live without the other things.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:10 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Give me British weather any day........I've spent too many brutal winters in Canada where snow shovelling is the national sport, and too many humid summers being eaten alive by various winged creatures. You don't have to shovel rain!
So no, "bad" weather doesn't turn me off at all
WOW,I see your point.I'm not a fan of hugh snow fall either so I totally agree with you.Lived in Wisconsin for a year have never seen colder or worse snow bound weather.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... but in 8 months of winter
Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Think you`ll find its the constant grey skies over the winter period (several months)
Um....this is the UK we're talking about.

Isn't it?

We know the weather isn't great but it's not that bad and certainly not winter for several months.

Sunnier places also get unpleasant heat.

Extreme cold and several feet of snow in Canada is well known, but the humidity here is hardly known at all. It's ridiculous to come out of a store and have your glasses steam up from the humidity outside. And I used to complain about 'sticky' days back in Bristol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.