Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Sorry - No Harvey Nicks in Nottingham - not when I was last there which was about 2 months ago.

Good house prices if you go to the right areas - West Bridgford and Wollaton sides of town or out into any of the surrounding country side.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatman
Sorry - No Harvey Nicks in Nottingham - not when I was last there which was about 2 months ago.

Good house prices if you go to the right areas - West Bridgford and Wollaton sides of town or out into any of the surrounding country side.
Ah, maybe it was the Birmingham store I was thinking of, sorry! I was in hotels in both Birmingham and Nottingham with my job shortly before moving over here and obviously got myself a little confused! (This does happen occasionally) Shopping is still really good in Nottingham though!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:20 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Ah, maybe it was the Birmingham store I was thinking of, sorry! I was in hotels in both Birmingham and Nottingham with my job shortly before moving over here and obviously got myself a little confused! (This does happen occasionally) Shopping is still really good in Nottingham though!
I suppose the combination of blonde hair and sun is a factor in this
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

hi,well i lived up north for first half of my life,then moved down south.
so i have friends up and down the country whom are all friendly.!
i have to say ,on the subject of Liverpool we love it there.IT actually has thousands of vistors who love it too!!
this year it is the .....City of Culture...............they are spending millions on it.Like any city it has its bad areas but if you go outside the city there are some lovely houses.Nightlife is great!!!!!!!! people are lovely.
!We are moving back to Bedfordshire ,where i lived before i came to Oz ,but we going to open a business inHertfordshire.
Bedfordshire,you will find is cheaper than Hertfordshire.
It is only 45 mins from London on the train.the countryside is stunning with lots of villages.In your price range you will find a lovely place.
Our business will be in Hertfordshire,in a place called Hitchin.a lovely market town,which has real character.If you look it up on the web you will see it has lots of restuarants and bars,
Have you googled an area to see what the surrounding area is like.
why dont you rent first to see if you like an area .good luck
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I suppose the combination of blonde hair and sun is a factor in this

I'm not blonde
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:06 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbles08
hi,well i lived up north for first half of my life,then moved down south.
so i have friends up and down the country whom are all friendly.!
i have to say ,on the subject of Liverpool we love it there.IT actually has thousands of vistors who love it too!!
this year it is the .....City of Culture...............they are spending millions on it.Like any city it has its bad areas but if you go outside the city there are some lovely houses.Nightlife is great!!!!!!!! people are lovely.
!We are moving back to Bedfordshire ,where i lived before i came to Oz ,but we going to open a business inHertfordshire.
Bedfordshire,you will find is cheaper than Hertfordshire.
It is only 45 mins from London on the train.the countryside is stunning with lots of villages.In your price range you will find a lovely place.
Our business will be in Hertfordshire,in a place called Hitchin.a lovely market town,which has real character.If you look it up on the web you will see it has lots of restuarants and bars,
Have you googled an area to see what the surrounding area is like.
why dont you rent first to see if you like an area .good luck
Thank you bubbles for those very helpfull tips.Will be renting before buying is the plan.I did notice that Bedfordshire is less expensive than Hertfordshire which is great because the more land the property has the better.It still amazes me how close many areas of the Uk is to London.Someone once said that Texas is nearly the size of the UK.I like the travel convience of living in a smaller country.It took me three days to drive from North Carolina to Los Angeles.Will not forget that experience.I wonder does that also mean the road traffic in the UK is normally backed up on most thru ways?Also what is the speed limit on the main highways?

BTW,what in your opinion are the best cities in Hertfordshire.You like Hitchins in Bedfordshire,any other recommendations for that county?

Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:33 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
I'm not blonde
Well that leaves us 2 choices then...........Brunette or redhead
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:40 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Thank you bubbles for those very helpfull tips.Will be renting before buying is the plan.I did notice that Bedfordshire is less expensive than Hertfordshire which is great because the more land the property has the better.It still amazes me how close many areas of the Uk is to London.Someone once said that Texas is nearly the size of the UK.I like the travel convience of living in a smaller country.It took me three days to drive from North Carolina to Los Angeles.Will not forget that experience.I wonder does that also mean the road traffic in the UK is normally backed up on most thru ways?Also what is the speed limit on the main highways?

BTW,what in your opinion are the best cities in Hertfordshire.You like Hitchins in Bedfordshire,any other recommendations for that county?

Thanks
After coming from the USA I think you will find EVERYTHING is within easy reach in the UK, driving from London to Birmingham is like about 2 hours depending on traffic. Traffic congestion is a big problem though in many parts of the UK due to the high population density etc. Bear in mind though the train service is very good between cities and is the quickest way to travel.

Can`t remember the current speed limit but there are like cameras absolutely everywhere, catching people that speed and the fines I know are quite high etc..... So forget putting your foot down to get somewhere in a hurry.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 26th 2008 at 10:42 am.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Can`t remember the current speed limit but there are like cameras absolutely everywhere, catching people that speed and the fines I know are quite high etc..... So forget putting your foot down to get somewhere in a hurry.
Speed limit on motorways is 70mph, although you'd never guess it on most motorways because the MAJORITY of cars usually travel at well over 80mph, and a significant minority at 90 or even 100 mph.

Unfortunately although there are cameras everywhere, they don't seem to stop this problem.

It's very clear that the message about speeding being dangerous and unacceptable has not sunk in like it has in Australia, which I find sad.

I have some good friends in UK who are very respectable, professional people but they think it's perfectly ok to do well over the speed limit on a regular basis.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:25 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Well that leaves us 2 choices then...........Brunette or redhead
Or grey
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:29 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by backagen
Speed limit on motorways is 70mph, although you'd never guess it on most motorways because the MAJORITY of cars usually travel at well over 80mph, and a significant minority at 90 or even 100 mph.

Unfortunately although there are cameras everywhere, they don't seem to stop this problem.

It's very clear that the message about speeding being dangerous and unacceptable has not sunk in like it has in Australia, which I find sad.

I have some good friends in UK who are very respectable, professional people but they think it's perfectly ok to do well over the speed limit on a regular basis.
Being from a country where we have some of the highest death rates on the roads in Europe, due to people constantly speeding, the message hasn`t sunk in here either, so its just not the UK. I myself fully applaud the high fines and penalties for people that break the speed limit, because without any doubt speed kills and ruins so many lives and families. Here in Spain over the years I have seen several crashes, where bodies were being covered up blood everywhere etc Not a nice sight.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Would you rule out Scotland because of the harsher weather and the lack of ethnic diversity and or acceptance?
I currently live in Edinburgh, have lived in San Francisco, Connecticut, Zurich and London.

Edinburgh is no San Francisco in terms of acceptance and diversity, but there's definitely multicultural flavor here. It is diverse in a different way to SF, a reflection of the history and geography of each place (SF has a large East Asian and Latino population, wheras Edinburgh and Glasgow have a large South Asian and Eastern European population.)

As for weather - since you have decided to live in the UK you are accepting a certain type of weather no matter where you live. For all the time spent discussing the weather over here the reality is that it's very boring. It is temperate and varies only a little from place to place.

Many people joked to my wife (Californian through and through) that if she survived the first winter she'd be fine. She survived the first winter no problem, it was the following 'summer' that really sucked the life out of her. (Keep in mind that even in Northern California the rain stops in May and doesn't return until October.) She's happily embracing the winter again now.

If you do decide to move to Edinburgh we have a decent US expat community. Many of them came out of the woodwork in September and October when we held voter registration drives. There's a softball league here too, and an excellent Mexican deli that also sells things like Ranch dressing and canned pumpkin.

Let me know if you're going to be in Edinburgh, I'd be happy to meet up for a beer.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:32 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your post.Sounds like your experience has taught you that Scotland's outskirts a distance from the large cities might not be the most progressive place a person of color could visit.To be honest I have always lived in towns that were diverse at this point that type of setting is quite natural to me.I had lived out side NewYork city in Jersey for many years and that enviroment provided some of the best exchange of life styles I have come across.

My idea place in the UK would be a home out side a large city a short drive distance into the city center but far enough away were crime rates are low people let their guard down and take the time to speak to strangers.

So you believe the townships far away from the metro areas in the UK are very conservative and people of color more than likely will be made to feel less comfortable? Has there been alot of racial incidents in Scotland?Would I see many Black people in Scotland? Or would a person of color stand out like a sore thumb in Scotland iyo? A friend of mine was attack by a bunch of drunk guys in their 30's.I like to think it was a isolated incident

BTW, yes I've seen those rainy days in London.I sometime wonder if the rain in England or in Seattle could be any greater than what Florida has shown me to date.Might be kinda close.

Thanks
Do not be shocked if in Scotland people walk up to you wide eyed and try to rub the black off of you.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:37 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by sans
Or grey
I didn`t want to be rude...............Its just not my style
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:32 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I didn`t want to be rude...............Its just not my style
Wasn't ment to be rude Just teasing i'm sure she'll take it as ment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.