Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Chronic Medication - Private Healthcare?

Chronic Medication - Private Healthcare?

Old May 22nd 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chronic Medication - Private Healthcare?

Hi all,

Another odd query which I haven't been able to find the answer to online.

I have a thyroid disorder for which I take an Eltroxin pill everyday. I imagine I can cash out around 6 months of it before we leave, but will I have to be rediagnosed etc once we hit England? The rediagnosis part is expensive with loads of blood tests etc, which I do on a 6 month basis over here (but we're on private healthcare in SA).

I don't want to be a drain on NHS, does anyone have private healthcare? Or can one just pay the prescription charges for chronic medication?

Thanks,
Nicola
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:52 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chronic Medication - Private Healthcare?

I have hypothyroidism too.

When you refer to the blood tests, I'm not sure what you mean by complicated.

Get a copy of your medical notes from your current doctor to show to your NHS GP. If you are already diagnosed, then you should be given a TSH test. TSH is regarded as the best test for monitoring thyroid in the UK. You may be given a T4 test as well, but that is no longer regarded as necessary. If your GP is carrying out a T4 test without a TSH test, then he is not following best practise guidelines and you should object (but it is unlikely this will happen). Once you are stable on thyroxine, it is usual to have an annual blood test, but your GP may decide on more frequent tests if you are not stable.

Blood tests are free on the NHS.

You will be prescribed the generic levothyroxine. This should not concern you, since there is no significant difference from the brand named drugs.

Hypothyroidism is a chronic medical condition, and prescriptions are free. At the point I left the UK, in 06, having hypothyroidism meant that I got all my prescriptions free, not just for levothyroixine, and that was a considerable saving. As far as I know, this is still the rule.

The main charity and advocacy group for thyroid disorders is the British Thyroid Foundation.. If you have any problems with, or questions about, your medical care in the UK, you should contact them. I've found them very helpful in the past.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:58 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I notice that you don't want to be a "drain on the NHS". There are private laboratories in the UK, and also private doctors, so I suppose that if you were really determined to pay for your treatment, you could. However, this is a very common complaint affecting around 1 in 3 of post menopausal women, so the implication of thinking that you should pay for this treatment, is that you think the NHS should be abolished. If that is really the case, then I suggest you do not come back to the UK.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
Sorry, I notice that you don't want to be a "drain on the NHS". There are private laboratories in the UK, and also private doctors, so I suppose that if you were really determined to pay for your treatment, you could. However, this is a very common complaint affecting around 1 in 3 of post menopausal women, so the implication of thinking that you should pay for this treatment, is that you think the NHS should be abolished. If that is really the case, then I suggest you do not come back to the UK.
Excuse me? I think you've misinterpreted me.

Upon re-entering the UK, I'm ASSUMING there will be a delay before I qualify for NHS (as there will be for my husband). Therefore, I'm wondering if I should get private healthcare in the interim.

I did not once say that my disorder is complicated, nor did I even hint that the NHS should be abolished. Is this a sore point for you?

I frequently have the T3 and T4 tests done as I have hashimoto's and my thyoid requires a bit of a push start to get going again.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

In fact, let me rephrase that slightly.

I have no expectation that the NHS would/should provide for my healthcare as a new returnee to England.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1
In fact, let me rephrase that slightly.

I have no expectation that the NHS would/should provide for my healthcare as a new returnee to England.
NHS eligibility is based on residency - as soon as you are permanently resident in the UK, you are covered.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebs
NHS eligibility is based on residency - as soon as you are permanently resident in the UK, you are covered.
Thank you Rebs.
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:10 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Excuse me? I think you've misinterpreted me.

Upon re-entering the UK, I'm ASSUMING there will be a delay before I qualify for NHS (as there will be for my husband). Therefore, I'm wondering if I should get private healthcare in the interim.

I did not once say that my disorder is complicated, nor did I even hint that the NHS should be abolished. Is this a sore point for you?

I frequently have the T3 and T4 tests done as I have hashimoto's and my thyoid requires a bit of a push start to get going again.
It's not usual to do the T3 test on the NHS. It's not regarded as necessary for monitoring thyroid function, with Hashimotos or not.

In the past, it has not been usual to test for Hashimotos, since whether the hypothyroidism is caused by Hashis or not, the treatment is the same.

So, if you wanted the T3 test, you'd probably need to get it done privately. From what you are saying, it doesn't appear that you are having the TSH test done, which means your GP is probably unable to properly ascertain the correct dosage for you. T3 and T4 tests will not give him a clue. So, you can look forward to better care on the NHS.
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:50 am
Was in Canada, now home.

With respect. You did say in your original post that you did "not want to be a drain on the NHS". That implied that you thought you were entitled to NHS care, but did not want to claim it and thought that people who did so were a drain. As someone who also suffers from hypothyroidism, and does get treated on the NHS when resident in the UK, I took offence - not surprisingly.
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

With respect. You did say in your original post that you did "not want to be a drain on the NHS". That implied that you thought you were entitled to NHS care, but did not want to claim it and thought that people who did so were a drain. As someone who also suffers from hypothyroidism, and does get treated on the NHS when resident in the UK, I took offence - not surprisingly.
My point obviously didn't come across as intended, and offence was not intended.
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

It's not usual to do the T3 test on the NHS. It's not regarded as necessary for monitoring thyroid function, with Hashimotos or not.

In the past, it has not been usual to test for Hashimotos, since whether the hypothyroidism is caused by Hashis or not, the treatment is the same.

So, if you wanted the T3 test, you'd probably need to get it done privately. From what you are saying, it doesn't appear that you are having the TSH test done, which means your GP is probably unable to properly ascertain the correct dosage for you. T3 and T4 tests will not give him a clue. So, you can look forward to better care on the NHS.
With respect, but I do not wish to get into a medical debate. I've had this for 5 years and trust what my doctor is doing.

Hashimoto’s disease reduces production of thyroid hormones
The thyroid gland makes two main hormones – thyroxine (T4) and tri-iodothyronine (T3). Two brain structures, the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus, regulate the hormones released by the thyroid gland. The steps in the process are:
The chain of command begins at the hypothalamus, which prompts the pituitary gland to make a chemical called thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH).
The pituitary gland checks the amount of T4 and T3 in the blood and releases TSH if the T4 and T3 levels need to be topped up.
The thyroid gland secretes T4 and T3 depending on the ‘order’ it receives from the pituitary gland. Generally speaking, the more TSH the thyroid receives, the more T4 and T3 it secretes.
The pituitary gland may order the thyroid gland to make T4 and T3 but, in the case of Hashimoto’s disease, the thyroid gland can’t deliver.
The immune system creates antibodies that attack thyroid tissue. The thyroid gland becomes inflamed (thyroiditis) and thyroid cells become permanently damaged, which hampers the thyroid’s ability to make T4 and T3.
In response, the pituitary gland secretes more thyroid-secreting hormone (TSH).
The thyroid may enlarge (goitre) as it attempts to obey the pituitary gland.
Old May 22nd 2012, 11:14 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I know how the pituitary system works. Hashis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism. All a T3 and T4 test will tell your doctor is that you are taking the tablets. To ascertain how much you need to be prescribed, he needs to do a TSH test.

Discuss it with your doctor in the UK. Or download the information from the link I gave in my earlier reply.
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's not how I saw the OP's post at all. IMO it didn't imply anything of the sort and I am surprised by your comments.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's not how I saw the OP's post at all. IMO it didn't imply anything of the sort and I am surprised by your comments.
Well, obviously I was wrong to give her words their ordinary and natural meaning. Clearly I should have intuited that "I don't want to be a drain on the NHS" really meant "I don't think I'll be entitled to NHS care." I'm not sure how I was supposed to do that, and I'm still puzzling how you can fear draining a resource you are not entitled to make a claim on, but obviously I missed a subtlety somewhere.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Well, obviously I was wrong to give her words their ordinary and natural meaning. Clearly I should have intuited that "I don't want to be a drain on the NHS" really meant "I don't think I'll be entitled to NHS care." I'm not sure how I was supposed to do that, and I'm still puzzling how you can fear draining a resource you are not entitled to make a claim on, but obviously I missed a subtlety somewhere.
I rephrased myself. I said I meant no offence. I also mentioned that I have no expectation that the NHS should take care of me.

You seem to be rather intent on proving something for some reason. I won't be responding again.

Thanks for the internet diagnosis by the way, but I'm neither post menopausal and TSH tests come with the territory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.