Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Choosing Uk location to move to

Choosing Uk location to move to

Old Nov 8th 2022, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Choosing Uk location to move to

I'm moving back to the UK after 35+ years in the US, dual UK/USC, no kids and retired, so schools and employment are not factors in location choice. All my family live in Yorkshire so that is where I'm looking to buy a home, exact location TBD. I grew up in Leeds and have lived in mid-sized cities in the US. But now I think I might like a small village, with a pub, post office, shop and school; a village within 10 miles a of a decent sized city for entertainment and such like, with good transportation, both bus and train; in semi-rural surroundings. I know I wouldn't want to be in the middle of nowhere, but as I mentioned I've only lived in cities and I'm a tiny bit worried about moving to a village.

Most of my family live around York, one sister still in Leeds so I'm leaning towards East or North Yorkshire. While I wouldn't mind somewhere else in the UK it seems to make the most sense to be close to family, I am open to hearing how others made this decision. So for those of you that have been back a while; where did you choose and are you happy with your decision, especially if the area is completely different to the type of place you previously lived in. I'm not looking for specific locations, (although feel free to mention if you choose), more a description of the type of location and what it offers and what you have enjoyed about the place you chose.
Many thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2022, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing Uk location to move to

We used almost exactly the same criteria as you did in deciding where to live. Small town or village within 10-20 miles of a large town or city and with a good bus service. A logical choice would have been the village in N Yorkshire where we lived immediately before we moved to the USA in 1987, we loved it there and were still in contact with friends there. Problem is that the bus service is almost non-existent there and the nearest doctors is a few miles away. Instead we chose somewhere larger, but with shops, doctors and such in easy walking distance plus regular bus services into surrounding towns. The place we chose was about 20 miles away, a place we had lived in for 6 years from 1979 and where both our children had been born. That was 6 years ago and it has been a great move. We also now have free bus passes to take maximum advantage of the bus services.
Old Nov 9th 2022, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

jkbrit1031 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep I am looking at exact same criteria except near family as they live outside London and it is too expensive. Right now am looking at Wiltshire/Somerset area (weather, pretty, near Bath and Bristol, train ride from London etc). Am doing all my research now so am ready to pull the trigger when I do go. Mainly looking at properties on Rightmove within my budget.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

We thought about village life but then decided we'd like somewhere with good access to hospital/health care as we age, and reasonable transport links, plus we're keen hillwalkers. We're now looking at Sheffield's western suburbs.
Near the Peak District, good teaching hospitals, decent nightlife if we want it. House prices seem reasonable too.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateg60
I'm moving back to the UK after 35+ years in the US, dual UK/USC, no kids and retired, so schools and employment are not factors in location choice. All my family live in Yorkshire so that is where I'm looking to buy a home, exact location TBD. I grew up in Leeds and have lived in mid-sized cities in the US. But now I think I might like a small village, with a pub, post office, shop and school; a village within 10 miles a of a decent sized city for entertainment and such like, with good transportation, both bus and train; in semi-rural surroundings. I know I wouldn't want to be in the middle of nowhere, but as I mentioned I've only lived in cities and I'm a tiny bit worried about moving to a village.

Most of my family live around York, one sister still in Leeds so I'm leaning towards East or North Yorkshire. While I wouldn't mind somewhere else in the UK it seems to make the most sense to be close to family, I am open to hearing how others made this decision. So for those of you that have been back a while; where did you choose and are you happy with your decision, especially if the area is completely different to the type of place you previously lived in. I'm not looking for specific locations, (although feel free to mention if you choose), more a description of the type of location and what it offers and what you have enjoyed about the place you chose.
Many thanks.
knaresborough sounds a good fit for you with easy links to Harrogate and York and knaresborough has everything you need locally heck they even has a castle and a lovely river.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We used almost exactly the same criteria as you did in deciding where to live. Small town or village within 10-20 miles of a large town or city and with a good bus service. A logical choice would have been the village in N Yorkshire where we lived immediately before we moved to the USA in 1987, we loved it there and were still in contact with friends there. Problem is that the bus service is almost non-existent there and the nearest doctors is a few miles away. Instead we chose somewhere larger, but with shops, doctors and such in easy walking distance plus regular bus services into surrounding towns. The place we chose was about 20 miles away, a place we had lived in for 6 years from 1979 and where both our children had been born. That was 6 years ago and it has been a great move. We also now have free bus passes to take maximum advantage of the bus services.
That's great, I've not looked at N Yorks market towns yet, but may do that!
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jkbrit1031
Yep I am looking at exact same criteria except near family as they live outside London and it is too expensive. Right now am looking at Wiltshire/Somerset area (weather, pretty, near Bath and Bristol, train ride from London etc). Am doing all my research now so am ready to pull the trigger when I do go. Mainly looking at properties on Rightmove within my budget.
I like that area but with 87 yo Mum I need to be close by.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
We thought about village life but then decided we'd like somewhere with good access to hospital/health care as we age, and reasonable transport links, plus we're keen hillwalkers. We're now looking at Sheffield's western suburbs.
Near the Peak District, good teaching hospitals, decent nightlife if we want it. House prices seem reasonable too.
Yep, I'm nervous about village life also but mainly because I worry it won't be enough to do and claustrophobic, a small town maybe be better.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
knaresborough sounds a good fit for you with easy links to Harrogate and York and knaresborough has everything you need locally heck they even has a castle and a lovely river.
Yes it's a possibility, it is a lovely town.