Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Child wants to fo to University/move back to UK

Child wants to fo to University/move back to UK

Old May 24th 2018, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Dizliz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child wants to fo to University/move back to UK

Hi, I am struggling to find information in relation to whether my son can study in the UK as a domestic paying student (9500 pounds per year) as opposed to an international student (19500 pounds per year - very expensive!). . His father and I are English

. He has a British passport

. His father will have lived in the UK for 3 years by the time he starts university (end of 2019/20)

. I am happy to return to the UK with him

I am getting conflicting information from websites.

Appreciate any advice.
Old May 24th 2018, 6:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child wants to fo to University/move back to UK

Originally Posted by Dizliz
Hi, I am struggling to find information in relation to whether my son can study in the UK as a domestic paying student (9500 pounds per year) as opposed to an international student (19500 pounds per year - very expensive!). . His father and I are English

. His father will have lived in the UK for 3 years by the time he starts university (end of 2019/20)

Appreciate any advice.
Welcome to BE.

It is the child who must have been living in the UK for the three years, so no help there I'm afraid, HOWEVER there has been anecdotal evidence on BE that SOME unis for SOME courses will just accept people and charge domestic fees only, however the problem is that it seems to be down to the individual Uni and is inconsistent over the country, so applying and asking are the only way to find out.
Old May 24th 2018, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am struggling to find information in relation to whether my son can study in the UK as a domestic paying student (9500 pounds per year) as opposed to an international student (19500 pounds per year - very expensive!). .
Appreciate any advice.
You say UK but the numbers you have quoted are (loosely speaking) for England.
The numbers are different (typically less) for Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland.
There are a lot of variables.
And there are some (relatively few) scholarships that pay the fees. The easiest to qualify for are specific to particular vocations, for example (just an example)
https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/suppo...larship-scheme
Old May 24th 2018, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why can he not do a degree online with a decent university while he is there to avoid those massive fees.
I did mine with the OU and was working at the same time, its a great way to get a degree.
The University of Bath has some good degrees as well.
Make srue you use a top class university and not one of those online degree giving place who are only fater the money.
Old May 25th 2018, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The University of London International Programmes is another reputable distance learning option. The various colleges that make up the University of London are responsible for different subject areas and degrees. The cost is reasonable.
Old May 25th 2018, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate any advice.
d

As others advise, the usual rule is that 3 years UK residence is required to be classed as a home student. My daughter is currently studying in the UK after 6 years in Canada - her UK university has regarded her as a home student but we think this may be due to the fact that she did her education up to the age of 16 in the UK. Again I think it depends on individual circumstances and university. I would suggest you contact the university direct - I think you will find that the application route is different anyway and that is what you have to do.
Has your son had any education in the UK?