Chances of upgrade??

Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about
Default Chances of upgrade??

Hi all,

wondering whether I could ask for some advice.

We have booked our flights with singapore in a few weeks time, flight time leaving brisbane at 11.45pm. I will be 18 weeks pregnant.

When i spoke to the dr today she said i should ask for extra leg room and a back rest that lies flat as i am at a higher risk of clots when pregnant. anyway she wrote me a letter asking the airlines if they could consider affering me these options (in affect can i have an upgrade)

Do you think thay will take any notice of this letter and what would be the best way to go about asking for any upgrade. I usually ask at check in all the time and its always met with a no chance. But i thought with the letter and the time of the flight i may be in with a chance

Any advice greatly appreciated

Nic
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of upgrade??

Sorry, I don't think every pregnant woman should have an upgrade. It is really up to the airline.

I flew at 27 weeks pregnant on my own from Gatwick to Toronto and was fine. For some reason I was given an extra legroom seat, although I think it was a mistake.

The only help I wanted was to get the suitcases off the carosel, and the man sitting next to me was more than happy to help.

It is far more daunting going with a toddlerflying when pregnant is a breeze.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nic&Jon
Hi all,

We have booked our flights with singapore in a few weeks time, flight time leaving brisbane at 11.45pm. I will be 18 weeks pregnant.

When i spoke to the dr today she said i should ask for extra leg room and a back rest that lies flat as i am at a higher risk of clots when pregnant. anyway she wrote me a letter asking the airlines if they could consider affering me these options (in affect can i have an upgrade)

Do you think thay will take any notice of this letter and what would be the best way to go about asking for any upgrade. I usually ask at check in all the time and its always met with a no chance. But i thought with the letter and the time of the flight i may be in with a chance

Nic
I didn't think it was a good idea to lie flat on your back during pregnancy -something to do with pressure on baby? -I'm not sure what the reason is but I am pretty sure I was advised not to. Although if the doctor says it and it can be used for an upgrade go for it!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Hi Nic.
I have flown often with Singapore. They will sometimes do 'operational upgrades' when the flight is very full and moving people to the front frees up seats they can sell at the back. But they offer these upgrades in priority order to the various ranks of their frequent flyer programme, and only just before the flight.

I think it's unlikely that you will be offered an upgrade based on pregnancy, but there's no harm in asking at check in (unless you somehow give them the impression that you're not fit to fly - which might be counter-productive!).

I have seen many people in economy on their flights with all types of conditions (e.g. very elderly, very large, partially paralysed and being fed through a tube...). I think it would be hard for them to justify prioritising you.

If I was you, I would try ringing Singapore Airlines (in Australia or Singapore) to ask if you could request a bulkhead (or possibly emergency exit if pregnancy doesn't preclude it) seat so that you have a little more space. This would also have the benefit of adding a special note to your booking, which might cause the check in staff and flight attendants to be more solicitous.

I would also *definitely* wear support tights (flight socks). (Did your doctor recommend these? Some seem better than others.) And I would drink loads of water, thus necessitating lots of walking to and from the loo!

My guess is that because you are pregnant and therefore very aware of your health, you will probably look after yourself better on the flight (walking, not drinking alcohol, drinking lots of water, using flight socks, stretching and exercising), than most of us do, so you may even in practice have a lower risk of a blood clot than the average passenger.

I hope you have a good trip.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
I flew with Thai air when I was 16 weeks pregnant and as I'm quite tall I thought I would mention it at check-in to see if I could get the bulkhead seat. The lady at check in in Auckland said I couldn't as these seats are next to the emergency doors and therefore they dont like to give them to people with a disability such as pregnancy :curse:
On the way back I got one, I didn't ask this time she just asked me if I wanted it when I checked in as there was one free.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:06 am
Just Joined

cornish is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister in law has a heart condition and came over in jan with japan airlines. she had gp letter requesting legroom etc prior to booking , they reiterated this when they booked in and were upgraded once they were on board. they also got upgraded flying back .mind you my broth in law is very persuasive if he think he can save a bob or too. a true scot when it comes to parting with his money! ! if its just the 2 of you travelling you might be lucky. japan airlines are v good at upgrades as other friends flew with them and were upgraded too -1 way
Hi all,

Nic
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:32 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, I am flying in 3 weeks and will be 19 weeks pregnant, I wonder if they would upgrade me and leave the hubby and kids in economy.....
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Hi.
I flew with Thai air when I was 16 weeks pregnant and as I'm quite tall I thought I would mention it at check-in to see if I could get the bulkhead seat. The lady at check in in Auckland said I couldn't as these seats are next to the emergency doors and therefore they dont like to give them to people with a disability such as pregnancy :curse:
On the way back I got one, I didn't ask this time she just asked me if I wanted it when I checked in as there was one free.
Technically, she was correct. Exit row seats are generally to be occupied by able-bodied healthy people, so that if there is an emergency they can be given instructions on opening doors etc. For that reason they won't put children, pregnant women etc in those rows, preferring stronger and fitter people, not requiring assistance themselves.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

You might can get a bulkhead seat sindce most airlines reserve them for parents with children and pregnant women. I would call the airlines now and ask.

You aren't likely to get an exit seat because they want someone who can move fast in an emergency. The best way to get an exit seat is to ask if it's possible to have a seat with extra leg room because you are tall. I am nearly 6 feet with longer legs than most men who are 6'3'' and I often luck out and get an exit seat and once got bumped to business class. ....lately though British Air has been having on-line check in 24 hours before a flight and those seats get snapped up first now. It's hard for me to do an on-line checkin when I am already in transit up to Gatwick 24 hours before a flight. I don't know the situation with other airlines and on-line check in though.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:56 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

I flew from Melbourne>Frankfurt>London then London>NYC and then NYC>LA and LA>Melbourne (all in 18 days!!!!) while I was 6 months pregnant and while I wouldn't be in any hurry to do it again, it was fine. I called ahead as soon as I'd made the booking and asked for bulkhead seats. I was given one on every leg except the Frankfurt to London which was only a short hop anyway but it does make a huge difference.

I suppose it depends how big you are but I couldn't actually get the tray down in the standard econ seat as my belly was too big! It's easier in the bulkhead seats as you can stretch your legs out and the food tray comes out from the side. My biggest problem was having to waddle up the aisle to pee every 10 mins, particularly if there was someone coming the other way as there was no way they could squeeze past the belly! Most people are pretty sympathetic though.

Definitely recommend flight socks. My lovely Ob recommended this Ginger drink that they sell in Asian grocery stores. It's basically freeze dried ginger with a bit of sugar that you just add hot water to. VERY good for circulation and also if you are feeling a bit queasy. I always travel with it now pregnant or not!

I don't rate your chances of an upgrade but would def be calling the airline now and requesting a bulkhead seat. They can't guarantee it but I didn't have any problems.

Good Luck! As someone said - wait til next year when your bubs won't be quite so portable and then start worrying!!

Em
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I know that i probably wont get an upgrade and I am not too worried about flying being pregnant (even though i think the flight is a nightmare when not being pregnant), i just thought it would be nice to be upgraded, I mean thats what we all dream of on long haul flight isn't it?

Anyway well have to wait and see.

Nic
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:47 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, but why don't you just pay for a business class seat? That is what I do.

You do get upgrades in the train to first class which is not to be sneered at but ask the railway company first - my knowledge relates to 'One' in ESSEX.

Good luck and safe flight.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:54 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I know that i probably wont get an upgrade and I am not too worried about flying being pregnant (even though i think the flight is a nightmare when not being pregnant), i just thought it would be nice to be upgraded, I mean thats what we all dream of on long haul flight isn't it?

Anyway well have to wait and see.

Nic
Well no not really. I fly business a lot, a combination of paying for the seat and being a Platinum FF. We pay the extra so we are assured of space and comfort. If you want the same comforts afforded to you, pay the extra. And don't even think of getting upgraded on an Asian airline, as the (Asian) folks in Business will be very very vocal about seeing an upgraded passenger in 'their area' (upgrades are easy to spot as you still get Econ service). I'm not saying that's right either, in fact I think it's down right rude, but if you don't like feeling uncomfortable try your luck on a western airline.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Well no not really. I fly business a lot, a combination of paying for the seat and being a Platinum FF. We pay the extra so we are assured of space and comfort. If you want the same comforts afforded to you, pay the extra. And don't even think of getting upgraded on an Asian airline, as the (Asian) folks in Business will be very very vocal about seeing an upgraded passenger in 'their area' (upgrades are easy to spot as you still get Econ service). I'm not saying that's right either, in fact I think it's down right rude, but if you don't like feeling uncomfortable try your luck on a western airline.
Not always; I got upgraded on JAL and got exactly the same service as everyone else - which certainly wasn't Econ service
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:50 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not always; I got upgraded on JAL and got exactly the same service as everyone else - which certainly wasn't Econ service
Recently?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.