Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Chance to go to UK permanently...do I do it??

Chance to go to UK permanently...do I do it??

Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:14 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chance to go to UK permanently...do I do it??

With all the info above in mind, I would go home because you know thats what everyone wants
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:29 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Go. And yes, solicitor first.

If the move feels a bit much to do alone, do you have relatives in Britain who might come out to help with the last rush?

Bev
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

This is a no brainer...go girl go.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - I've just read your last post.

There's not even an option in my mind, you have to take the plunge, however scary, get to a lawyer, make it legal and pack up and go. Take yourself and your kids to where they will have family around and you can do it!!! Be positive, be strong and be happy. Life is too short to live it for people who are too wrapped up in themselves and their new lives.

Go back to the UK, get the kids settled and make a new life for yourselves. You have the right to be free and be happy. I wish you all the best and if you need more encouragement, just keep posting. You're not on your own and we'll try and help you every step of the way.

Go for it!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:23 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you! I'm so happy to hear you're going for it
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

aquaagua is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elizabeth16
Hi - I have lived in Melbourne for 9 years. Have three children (13,11,10). The children and myself are British. My husband (Irish) moved us to Melbourne in 2001 for "2 years only" - but then decided that he loved it here and would not move back.
He then walked out on the children and I, almost 3 yrs ago, and refused to allow me to move back to the UK with the children. He had repartnered and had a baby (unknown to me -before he left) and only saw our children for 2 nights out of every 14.
I have no family and minimal friends here - and life is incredibly lonely. I have fought for everything on behalf of my children (good school, maintenance, home etc) out of their father and finally resolved that I would have to stay here until the children were old enough to say that they would like to go (they would all be happy to go).
Out of the blue - my ex has suddenly decided that he will allow us to go permanently. What do I do?
I wanted to go home for so long after he left. I have to work every hour that I can here to keep a roof over our heads. Christmas, birthdays - only ever the kids and I.
Yet this is the life that we have known for 9 years.
I am a nurse - so i know that I will get a job easy enough in the UK - but what about somewhere to live, car, schools etc. All my family live in Bucks - but property there is pricey. I will be a sole parent - so even harder.
But I will have so much family there for the children and I. My mind is constantly turning about what to do.
Everyone in the UK appears so down about the country at the mo - upset about the weather, finances - whatever. I feel that I want to come home - but don't want to make a decision that the children will hate me for in the future.
I am just not happy here, though. What do you think?
Just came across your post while looking elsewhere on site. Obviously only you can decide what to do in the end but it does sound like you are really lonely and would benefit from the support you would get back in England. No move is easy but I don't think GB is as bad as people say. Yes you will find the grey weather different and the beach will not be close by but yes there would be work here and of course your family. Your children would settle down to a different way of life and you would have more support which you need. Good luck with your decision
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Another point sorry - discuss all this with your children too with the pro of family, culture, incredible countryside, Europe on the doorstep not to mention fish and chips!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

No advice on what to do from me about the move. You know your mind better than some disembodied voice on the web.

The only thing I would say is, that if you don't have it already, then get Australian citizenship. It will keep your, and your kids, options open for any return one day.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Elizabeth16 is on a distinguished road

The children and I do have citizenship.
Much as it seems we would not come back in a hurry (memories etc) - at least it leaves the door open.
I agree about the fish and chips and the chance to go to France etc - fantastic!
All w/e - my children have got into the swing of a move. Making decisions about what will be given away/sold and what will come.
I have told them that they have to be ruthless!
I have a roof plumber to fix the holes in the roof and then I can freshen up the interior.
I am a little concerned about what the house prices in the UK will be like - but something will work out for us
I shall apply to get re-registered with the Nurses board in the UK this week. I shall contact the legal service to get a document drafted to allow us free movement and permanent relocation.
I have lists and ideas coming out of my pores!
I was a little scared to begin with, I guess. But having thought for a little while about the 'how to's' etc - I am much more confident now. Especially after the exuberant response of my gorgeous guys to a permanent move.
Feels like life is starting - although everyone knows that nothing is concrete until a legal document is drafted and signed.
Thanks again for all your responses - I am sure that as my questions arise in their millions...I shall be asking for all your experience. I don't feel quite as alone in attempting all this, knowing that there are so many of you out there who have similar stories to mine
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elizabeth16
The children and I do have citizenship.
Much as it seems we would not come back in a hurry (memories etc) - at least it leaves the door open.
I agree about the fish and chips and the chance to go to France etc - fantastic!
All w/e - my children have got into the swing of a move. Making decisions about what will be given away/sold and what will come.
I have told them that they have to be ruthless!
I have a roof plumber to fix the holes in the roof and then I can freshen up the interior.
I am a little concerned about what the house prices in the UK will be like - but something will work out for us
I shall apply to get re-registered with the Nurses board in the UK this week. I shall contact the legal service to get a document drafted to allow us free movement and permanent relocation.
I have lists and ideas coming out of my pores!
I was a little scared to begin with, I guess. But having thought for a little while about the 'how to's' etc - I am much more confident now. Especially after the exuberant response of my gorgeous guys to a permanent move.
Feels like life is starting - although everyone knows that nothing is concrete until a legal document is drafted and signed.
Thanks again for all your responses - I am sure that as my questions arise in their millions...I shall be asking for all your experience. I don't feel quite as alone in attempting all this, knowing that there are so many of you out there who have similar stories to mine
Well done, you sound so positive. It would be a good idea to get some idea house prices so you do not get a complete shock. I think there may be shared ownership schemes for professions like nursing.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:27 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again Elizabeth.....you do sound SO positive....well done you! You'll get through it, and I reckon a year from now (maybe sooner) this will be but a memory.
Good luck....