British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Cell phone service providers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/cell-phone-service-providers-820896/)

lgabriel73 Jan 10th 2014 1:49 am

Cell phone service providers

Just wondering for those of you that have returned to the UK were you able to set up a cell phone contract when you returned or did you have to use pay as you go? I will be taking my unlocked iPhone with me and am used to unlimited talk text and data and would like the same service in the UK. Is this possible without having any established credit in the UK?
thanks in advance!

transatlantic Jan 10th 2014 9:08 pm

Re: Cell phone service providers

Originally Posted by lgabriel73 (Post 11071742)
Just wondering for those of you that have returned to the UK were you able to set up a cell phone contract when you returned or did you have to use pay as you go? I will be taking my unlocked iPhone with me and am used to unlimited talk text and data and would like the same service in the UK. Is this possible without having any established credit in the UK?
thanks in advance!

I had no problems getting a contract after 4 years away. Unlimited texts, 3000 mins, free phone and free Samsung galaxy tab 3 (on which im typing this) for £11.99/month all in all a nice surprise after living in rip off Canada!

Charell Jan 10th 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by transatlantic (Post 11072987)
I had no problems getting a contract after 4 years away. Unlimited texts, 3000 mins, free phone and free Samsung galaxy tab 3 (on which im typing this) for £11.99/month all in all a nice surprise after living in rip off Canada!

Which provider was this with, sounds like a great deal :)

lgabriel73 Jan 10th 2014 10:08 pm

That does sound like a great deal especially after being in the US where it costs me about 50 quid if not more for the same. Which provider was it?

mayhemuk Jan 11th 2014 6:54 am

Depending where you're headed I would get a PAYG first to make sure you have the coverage required. Once you're locked into a contract be too late to find you have no coverage in important areas.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 11th 2014 7:00 am

I have O2 PAYG on my old iPhone 3gs. Worked out I'm using less than £10 a month for now, so when I use more I'll get their £10 a month contract.

transatlantic Jan 11th 2014 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Charell (Post 11073001)
Which provider was this with, sounds like a great deal :)

Orange from carphonewarehouse. Also I went through topcashback and got about £40 back!:thumbsup:

HK_Katherine Jan 15th 2014 4:40 am

I visit UK once a year and just get a PAYG SIM at pretty much any corner store/supermarket/petrol station. You can top up almost anywhere. Dirt cheap. Easy to do on the first day you arrive (DO NOT GET THE ONES AT HEATHROW!). Then decide later.