Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cell phone service providers

Cell phone service providers

Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cell phone service providers

Just wondering for those of you that have returned to the UK were you able to set up a cell phone contract when you returned or did you have to use pay as you go? I will be taking my unlocked iPhone with me and am used to unlimited talk text and data and would like the same service in the UK. Is this possible without having any established credit in the UK?
thanks in advance!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell phone service providers

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Just wondering for those of you that have returned to the UK were you able to set up a cell phone contract when you returned or did you have to use pay as you go? I will be taking my unlocked iPhone with me and am used to unlimited talk text and data and would like the same service in the UK. Is this possible without having any established credit in the UK?
thanks in advance!
I had no problems getting a contract after 4 years away. Unlimited texts, 3000 mins, free phone and free Samsung galaxy tab 3 (on which im typing this) for £11.99/month all in all a nice surprise after living in rip off Canada!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Charell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by transatlantic
I had no problems getting a contract after 4 years away. Unlimited texts, 3000 mins, free phone and free Samsung galaxy tab 3 (on which im typing this) for £11.99/month all in all a nice surprise after living in rip off Canada!
Which provider was this with, sounds like a great deal
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound like a great deal especially after being in the US where it costs me about 50 quid if not more for the same. Which provider was it?
Old Jan 11th 2014, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Depending where you're headed I would get a PAYG first to make sure you have the coverage required. Once you're locked into a contract be too late to find you have no coverage in important areas.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have O2 PAYG on my old iPhone 3gs. Worked out I'm using less than £10 a month for now, so when I use more I'll get their £10 a month contract.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charell
Which provider was this with, sounds like a great deal
Orange from carphonewarehouse. Also I went through topcashback and got about £40 back!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:40 am
Just Joined

HK_Katherine is an unknown quantity at this point

I visit UK once a year and just get a PAYG SIM at pretty much any corner store/supermarket/petrol station. You can top up almost anywhere. Dirt cheap. Easy to do on the first day you arrive (DO NOT GET THE ONES AT HEATHROW!). Then decide later.