Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Be careful what you wish for...

Be careful what you wish for...

Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful what you wish for...

Vikingsail, have you made a decision yet? Know not easy for you - just wondering..
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:39 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Thanks for this post. Was interesting to read your back and forth and your insights are very valuable.
In Australia the phenomenon is called "ping pong poms" going back and forth between the countries looking for.... contentment?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zen10
In Australia the phenomenon is called "ping pong poms" going back and forth between the countries looking for.... contentment?
Will we ever find it I wonder
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:34 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Will we ever find it I wonder
I don't think so. In my case it's a kind of wanderlust really, always thinking what I want is just over the horizon. I'm getting a little older now and starting to realise that contentment is best found with family and good friends, wherever they may be!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I don't think so. In my case it's a kind of wanderlust really, always thinking what I want is just over the horizon. I'm getting a little older now and starting to realise that contentment is best found with family and good friends, wherever they may be!
You are so right,what I find sad, is the folk that go home and then find family does not have alot of time for them,it must be just awful.I guess they at home have got on with their own lives while we have all been gone.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:49 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

You are so right,what I find sad, is the folk that go home and then find family does not have alot of time for them,it must be just awful.I guess they at home have got on with their own lives while we have all been gone.
It is sad...especially for those that go home PRIMARILY because they think it will be a joyous reunion with family and friends, only to find the opposite. It's hard to say to yourself... 'okay, I'm going home, but if my friends and family are too busy for me, or just don't want to know - then I'll still be okay' We like to think that getting back and seeing people will be almost like we've never been away, when the reality is much different. For some, but not all !
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
It is sad...especially for those that go home PRIMARILY because they think it will be a joyous reunion with family and friends, only to find the opposite. It's hard to say to yourself... 'okay, I'm going home, but if my friends and family are too busy for me, or just don't want to know - then I'll still be okay' We like to think that getting back and seeing people will be almost like we've never been away, when the reality is much different. For some, but not all !
In the end, we should be going home for "ourselves". Family and friends are an added bonus
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
In the end, we should be going home for "ourselves". Family and friends are an added bonus
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:34 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gailc
and a double amen from me !
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Exactly! We don't realise things until we get older and then we have the thoughts ' I wish I had done such and such when I was younger'.
I think all of us wish those things, but luckily we get to that stage in our lives when we realise that we are the masters of our own destiny so to speak and that its never too late !!!

There are a lot of wonderful people here on BE, and often we can vent and rant more here than we could talking about things to our own family because everyone here understands how you feel. I love my BE family!
Me to... I love my BE family. they will never know just how much they have sailed me through my sad days.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gailc
You are so right gailc !! I think we all know,we love family but there comes a time when we have to put ourselves first,as they say, life is for living no matter how old we are
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Be careful what you wish for...

You are so right gailc !! I think we all know,we love family but there comes a time when we have to put ourselves first,as they say, life is for living no matter how old we are