Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Whenreturning Home to UK for over 60's

Car Insurance Whenreturning Home to UK for over 60's

Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

russellsnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance Whenreturning Home to UK for over 60's

Hi, Lived in Greece for 13 years and will be returning to the UK to live in April 2020, when we moved to Greece the insurance companies had no problem accepting my NCB from the UK but seems the UK insurance companies don't want to no. I have been driving for more than 40 years 30+ in the UK without making a claim but seems I will have no NCB so anyone over 60 that has returned and found a decent company to insure a car with? Thankyou, Russ.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Whenreturning Home to UK for over 60's

Originally Posted by russellsnr
Hi, Lived in Greece for 13 years and will be returning to the UK to live in April 2020, when we moved to Greece the insurance companies had no problem accepting my NCB from the UK but seems the UK insurance companies don't want to no. I have been driving for more than 40 years 30+ in the UK without making a claim but seems I will have no NCB so anyone over 60 that has returned and found a decent company to insure a car with? Thankyou, Russ.
I and many other BE members have used and recommend Aviva. They will recognise your NCB, but you need to have a letter from your current insurer that not only shows your NCB, but also states that your policy has been cancelled (don't ask me why they need to know that, maybe they're scared of double dipping). There is a maximum amount of NCB years they apply, I can't remember how many but I know it was much less than the 25 years NCB I had in Australia. That seems to be across the board for UK vehicle insurers though.

ps I have no affiliation or business interest in Aviva and never have. I'm living back in Australia now.

I compared Aviva's premiums with several others, they came out at almost the cheapest and the coverage is very comprehensive. Best wishes for your return home.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 5:01 am
Just Joined

russellsnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I and many other BE members have used and recommend Aviva. They will recognise your NCB, but you need to have a letter from your current insurer that not only shows your NCB, but also states that your policy has been cancelled (don't ask me why they need to know that, maybe they're scared of double dipping). There is a maximum amount of NCB years they apply, I can't remember how many but I know it was much less than the 25 years NCB I had in Australia. That seems to be across the board for UK vehicle insurers though.

ps I have no affiliation or business interest in Aviva and never have. I'm living back in Australia now.

I compared Aviva's premiums with several others, they came out at almost the cheapest and the coverage is very comprehensive. Best wishes for your return home.
Hi, Many thanks for that info, I will have a notice of NCB from Greek insurance. Russ.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 5:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russellsnr
Hi, Many thanks for that info, I will have a notice of NCB from Greek insurance. Russ.
No worries Russ. Do remember to ask your Greek insurance company to explicitly state on the letter that your policy has been cancelled. I had a right faff getting that from Australia, wish I'd known before I left as it would have been much easier.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I also used Aviva. As well as the NCB letter (uploaded pdf) they also required a copy of the recently canceled insurance card.