Car Insurance

Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold
Default Car Insurance

We are returning to the Uk after 5 years in Nz and have tried to get insurance for a car that we have bought from my parents, the Insurance company in the Uk have said that they won't accept our insurance company in Nzs letter to say we have 60% no claims bonus and want us to start from scratch again.

Has anyone experienced the same problems when returning from living oversees.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
We are returning to the Uk after 5 years in Nz and have tried to get insurance for a car that we have bought from my parents, the Insurance company in the Uk have said that they won't accept our insurance company in Nzs letter to say we have 60% no claims bonus and want us to start from scratch again.

try looking around and asking a lot of the insurers, some will, some won't, it's just a case of trying, perhaps there is someone on the forum that has done it sucessfully and will reply.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon

Hi we returned from NZ last July, well my husband did I was still there until November.
I had all the no claims history so husband just shopped around and got best deal. I know some places will take overseas history it will just take some searching.
Good Luck
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

How much does UK insurance cost for a small cheap car for a newly returned expat with no insurance history (but a full UK driving licence) cost?
No driving offences convictions (no convictions of any kind actually).
I'm only asking for a very vague idea for budgetary purposes.
What was anyone quoted (and for what type of car, in which town or city) assuming no "discounts" are available?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
How much does UK insurance cost for a small cheap car for a newly returned expat with no insurance history (but a full UK driving licence) cost?
No driving offences convictions (no convictions of any kind actually).
I'm only asking for a very vague idea for budgetary purposes.
What was anyone quoted (and for what type of car, in which town or city) assuming no "discounts" are available?
It'll all vary with age and location - you could try one of the comparison sites such as http://www.comparethemarket.com/ and make a guess on car and location.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It'll all vary with age and location - you could try one of the comparison sites such as http://www.comparethemarket.com/ and make a guess on car and location.
I gave up on that website.
It asks a million questions, such as the address I live at (I don't I haven't moved yet).
I only wanted a few sample numbers people have obtained, not to be given the third degree for an exact quote for a situation that does not yet exist.
If it makes the difference, age 65, retired, location not near any big city.

The problem is that by my being specific that puts off people from sharing quotes that they have had. I guess I have no adequately conveyed that I'm only after a very rough number. Is it 100 quid or 10,000 quid?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:52 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up on that website.
It asks a million questions, such as the address I live at (I don't I haven't moved yet).
I only wanted a few sample numbers people have obtained, not to be given the third degree for an exact quote for a situation that does not yet exist.
If it makes the difference, age 65, retired, location not near any big city.

The problem is that by my being specific that puts off people from sharing quotes that they have had. I guess I have no adequately conveyed that I'm only after a very rough number. Is it 100 quid or 10,000 quid?
Sorry - didn't realise it was that bad. My insurance just before we left was £400 fully comp with full no claims (not the greatest area and held license with no points for more than 15 years); oldest son over 25 but newly qualified was £1500 with no no-claims. Both driving older cars, but mine with 2l engine.

Does that help at all?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
... Does that help at all?
Thank you, appreciated, budget 2000 for 65 years old, new expat with no history, modest car, nondescript area. And be pleased if its less.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, appreciated, budget 2000 for 65 years old, new expat with no history, modest car, nondescript area. And be pleased if its less.
I've seen on here before that NFU Mutual and Aviva can be accommodating if you are able to provide something to show a clean driving record.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:53 pm
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I returned from Bahrain very recently and NFU Mutual were willing to accept my Bahrain no claims with AXA insurance. In the end I went through A-Plan insurance who also accepted my no claims and gave me a slightly better deal on Aviva.

Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Our car is an 06 Volvo, 2l. We are early forties and husband had no no claims history. It cost little over 500 pounds the first year and under 300 this year.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Our car is an 06 Volvo, 2l. We are early forties and husband had no no claims history. It cost little over 500 pounds the first year and under 300 this year.
Thank you, I appreciate the datapoint.
Anyone can add more datapoints please?
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

My husband moved back on 1st April (I'm following in 12 days) he bought a 2008 Audi not sure of the exact type but it's a sporty-ish model, possibly a 2L. Anyway his insurance for the year was £1000. They wouldn't accept any previous no claims from USA.

The area is considered quite a high risk as we're not too far from Liverpool.

When I arrive and get my own car which will be considerably smaller, like a Ford Fiesta I'm banking on paying around £500-£600

Hopefully it will reduce next year.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:38 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just under 500 for a VW Tiguan 2.0TDI including 4 years of no claims bonus from Bahrain. We live in an extremely low risk area though.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:30 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Try going to a broker - I did and got some of my non UK NCB recognised

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.