Car Insurance

Old May 15th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

hopeful2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance

Hi

Just wondered about getting car insurance again- do they ding you because you have been out of the country ( in our case 7 years)? Or will they take into account the full no claims bonus we had before we left UK?
Old May 15th 2009, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by hopeful2
Hi

Just wondered about getting car insurance again- do they ding you because you have been out of the country ( in our case 7 years)? Or will they take into account the full no claims bonus we had before we left UK?
Depends who you go with. We rang alot of companies who didn't give a damn about your no claims in other countries...so their quotes were sky high.

But we finally managed to get a decent quote from Direct line. All they want to see is your no claims prove (whether it's in the UK or abroad). So make sure you bring your no claims documents with you.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Depends who you go with. We rang alot of companies who didn't give a damn about your no claims in other countries...so their quotes were sky high.

But we finally managed to get a decent quote from Direct line. All they want to see is your no claims prove (whether it's in the UK or abroad). So make sure you bring your no claims documents with you.
I found the couldn't give a damn approach everywhere. Several said they woud give me no claims, but then the actual premium was sky high because I hadn't been driving in the country ... so they dinged me one way or another. I figure if you can survive and adapt to different driving systems around the world, that makes you a safer driver, but go figure.

On a side note, don't know about anyone else, but I have found my insurance premiums have jumped considerably over the past year or two (i.e., car, house, pet, boiler, etc.). There's never any explanation, just a notice saying congratulations, you don't need to do anything to continue coverage, your monthly pet insurance premium is 35 quid (no mention that last year it was only 23 pounds!) Bar stewards.
Old May 15th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

This important question seems to come up every so often. Is it worth compiling a thread of insurance companies that maybe friendly to expats with letters of good driving from abroad?

I've heard Direct Line and Norwich Union (or whatever they are called now), mentioned a couple of times.

Any others?
Old May 16th 2009, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopeful2
Hi

I found that they would not use a previous UK no claims discount if it was over two years ago. Mine was about a week under two years so I was lucky.