Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car and house insurance when returning home

Car and house insurance when returning home

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:18 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of
Default Car and house insurance when returning home

Looking through past threads and posts, it looks as if some people going back to live in the UK have been able to get UK insurers to take account of a no- claims history from overseas while others have not.

For those who were successful, what documentation did you need? I am thinking something from current insurer plus some kind of DMV record for the cars as well. Did you go through the 'big' insurance companies or through a broker?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car and house insurance when returning home

Originally Posted by Pombat
Looking through past threads and posts, it looks as if some people going back to live in the UK have been able to get UK insurers to take account of a no- claims history from overseas while others have not.

For those who were successful, what documentation did you need? I am thinking something from current insurer plus some kind of DMV record for the cars as well. Did you go through the 'big' insurance companies or through a broker?
This insurance question gets asked SO many times but it's still hard to find the relevant info through searching or googling. I do recall the topic coming up in detail around April/May 2011.

This seems to help somewhat ref CARS:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728729

and this, I guess, was it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...95#post9363595

From on here I've seen that to be safe you will need a recent original certificate of no claims from your previous car insurance carrier.

FYI, I transferred my UK but-to-let property insurance to Lloyds TSB PLC (Bournemouth office for Sales) (my mortgage is with Cheltenham&Gloucester who referred me) a couple of years back and got the NCD by a verbal assertion of no claims history over the phone . Rates are VERY competitive and are through Legal & General. Have had to claim due to weather damage in winter 2010/2011 but there were no problems and only slight adjustment to NCD.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 2nd 2012 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Re: Car Insurance, we needed proof of no claims in years & not %, although we eventually got car insurance it was a struggle, proof was given over the 6 year period that we had been out of the country (thankfully I am a bit of a hoarder & kept all paperwork).

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I got a letter of experience from my Canadian insurers. I used Swinton to get my insurance. They said that not all insurance companies accept overseas experience but got me a good deal with Aviva. 369.00 fully comp. having an international driving license did not affect the premium.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:41 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Thanks, will bear those suggestions in mind.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss
having an international driving license did not affect the premium.
An International licence doesn't really mean much in the UK as it is only valid for 1 year to drive on UK roads; the same as (most?) foreign driving licences.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Thanks, will bear those suggestions in mind.
I am also insured by Aviva