Cannot get a job in UK

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Anne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant future
Default Cannot get a job in UK

Hi there

My husband wants to move back to the UK. He's an IT Senior Project Manager. He's been in the UK for a couple of months looking and although he's getting the interviews, he's not getting the offers. He has a lot of experience, articulate, professional. When given questions, he answers them with strong examples. However the reasons given as to why he's not successful is because apparently he's not clear on the role being offered. I hasten again to say he's experienced, qualified, could do most of the jobs standing on his head.

I'm wondering since we've been away from the UK (12 years) are we missing something? Have things changed as far as interview techniques are concerned? Is it because North Americans have a different approach to filling roles, that the look for the overall package, not just ticking boxes.

Any view points appreciated.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannot get a job in UK

My guess, only a guess, is that he is suffering age discrimination. It comes on very gradually and is nearly impossible to prove outside a Trades Union context.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

He has only been in the UK for a couple of months - so a relatively short time to obtain work.

From other postings on this forum, taking several months to find a decent position is not uncommon no matter where you have moved from. The influx of European professionals to the UK has meant there is no shortage of good IT people.

He just needs to keep plugging away.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne
He's been in the UK for a couple of months looking and although he's getting the interviews, he's not getting the offers.

Any view points appreciated.
As he is getting the interviews it appears he needs to work on how he presents himself at interview.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The influx of European professionals to the UK has meant there is no shortage of good IT people.
The last census showed 3 EU countries in the UK top 5 immigrants list, that weren't there before free movement when Europeans needed to have skills to get a visa to work in the UK. This data doesn't suggest an influx of European professionals: quite the reverse.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Just a quick question, does he talk much in the interview about how wonderful Canada was, do they ask questions about Canada not just his work there, just wondering if thats putting them off, knowing someone who moved back and did this and hit a wall till they stopped doing it!

I struggled to find work when I moved to Canada, hoping I dont have the same issue moving back to UK
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, is he applying for jobs that are at the level he was at in Canada as an IT Senior Project Manager, or maybe he should apply for any IT related jpositions that he can get his foot in, which in time gives him the opportunity to move up or to find the job at the higher skill level he is capable of?

Or, to add to what other posters have indicated, is it possible he is over qualified, age is an issue or maybe the folks looking at hiring him see him as a potential 'he'll be gone when he finds a better job'?

What feedback is he giving you on why he isn't being hired?

Is he applying for a senior level jobs only?

Is it possible for him to do contract work through an agency rather than trying to land an full time job right off the bat?

Last edited by not2old; Jun 4th 2015 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Anne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant future

Hi Holly - it did cross my mind too, he's just turned 50
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi SanDiagoGirl - thanks for your response. I know a couple of months isn't long but it's more than that. he can do the jobs. if they were in Canada/Toronto he would be snapped up just like that.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Isismom - thanks for responding. an interesting point of view, you might be on to something there!
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Not2Old - thanks for responding. again you might be right. he is extremely experienced. I cannot believe for one moment he doesn't interview well. there is something in his answers that are not resonating with the interviewer. it could be age. and it is highly likely they consider him too experienced. but then why not say that when he asks for feedback? I can't help feeling that when it comes to recruiting it is different here in Canada to the UK. In the UK they just want to tick the boxes. In Canada I feel it is more about personality and whether it's a good fit. The rest can come with time and training if one or two of the boxes aren't ticked.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Forumula - Thanks for your response. I feel strongly that he presents himself very well but well understand your conclusion. I can't feeling it's more subtle. Possibly age though he's a young 50 year old if there is such a thing All we know is that in Canada he would be snapped up.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Regarding the age thing, does he put his age on his CV or application?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Isismom
Regarding the age thing, does he put his age on his CV or application?
No he doesn't but the year of his degree is.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Cannot get a job in UK

Originally Posted by Anne
The rest can come with time and training if one or two of the boxes aren't ticked.
Not always the case I'm afraid, many of our projects in my firm are very short time scales and we need someone who can hit the ground running. Our PMs rarely have the luxury of time or training.

Are there any job adverts you could link to that he didn't have luck with? Sometimes there are clear issues with people expecting to much for too little pay, etc.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Globetrotta is an unknown quantity at this point

I will add my tuppence worth for in 2007 I returned to the UK having been gone and was only 48 then, MBA and 25 years corporate experience even senior management, Fortune 100 companies etc. The UK was then even before GFC all but impossible too old, too experienced and too expensive, prior to this having been in USA this would not have been any issue at all; now things there have changed. I would suggest contract consultancy work, experience could land him opportunities to make tenders on jobs where the company know they have no long term obligation. I do feel for him I would not put year of degree on CV I even left off experience and MBA only got temp work to start and ended up getting a lowly position in sales IBM Cognus BI put got offers from clients (not that my employer was too pleased) I didn't take them I have an issue with ethics but perhaps this is one avenue temp work could lead to something. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.