Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can the approved TOR date be changed?

Old Mar 13th 2024, 3:06 am
Just Joined

loveuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can the approved TOR date be changed?

Hello everyone, my situation is rather urgent, and I hope you can help me with an answer. Thank you everyone.

I am scheduled to officially immigrate to the United Kingdom on June 10, 2024. I shipped all my household items to the UK two weeks ago, and the estimated shipping time is around 2-3 months. Last week, when I applied for the Transfer of Residence (TOR) tax exemption, I encountered a question: whether my household items would arrive in the UK before me. If I answered "yes" to this question, it required me to provide the date of arrival for my household items. Since I was uncertain at that time, I answered "no" (my household items will not arrive before me). Now, my TOR has been approved with a tax exemption period from June 10, 2024, to June 10, 2025. However, there is a high possibility that my items will arrive in the UK before June 10, 2024. This means I would need to pay import taxes. Therefore, I am urgently seeking to amend my TOR for the tax exemption period.

Old Mar 13th 2024, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can the approved TOR date be changed?

Originally Posted by loveuk
Hello everyone, my situation is rather urgent, and I hope you can help me with an answer. Thank you everyone.

I am scheduled to officially immigrate to the United Kingdom on June 10, 2024. I shipped all my household items to the UK two weeks ago, and the estimated shipping time is around 2-3 months. Last week, when I applied for the Transfer of Residence (TOR) tax exemption, I encountered a question: whether my household items would arrive in the UK before me. If I answered "yes" to this question, it required me to provide the date of arrival for my household items. Since I was uncertain at that time, I answered "no" (my household items will not arrive before me). Now, my TOR has been approved with a tax exemption period from June 10, 2024, to June 10, 2025. However, there is a high possibility that my items will arrive in the UK before June 10, 2024. This means I would need to pay import taxes. Therefore, I am urgently seeking to amend my TOR for the tax exemption period.

Exactly the same happened my daughter when she moved back to the UK from California in 2022 and the answer is yes, the date can be changed. I don’t recall the mechanism but she had no problem in doing this and it was quick. In her case she shipped some instruments before she left, with the vast bulk of her goods traveling afterwards. To avoid import duties she needed to move the ToR date forward at short notice. Both shipments were covered by the same ToR permit.

Last edited by durham_lad; Mar 13th 2024 at 8:50 am.
Old Mar 13th 2024, 10:33 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can the approved TOR date be changed?

Maybe try contacting the UK Customs and International trade helpline on +44 300 322 9434 (within UK: 0300 322 9434)