Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend shipping companies New York to UK?

Can anyone recommend shipping companies New York to UK?

Old Oct 17th 2016, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

MinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can anyone recommend shipping companies New York to UK?

My apartment sale has pretty much gone through so I'll be on the Queen Mary 2 in mid-November. I have two shipping companies coming to give estimates for moving my household: Bourne's, whose marketing person has written extensively on this forum, and Schumacher Cargo Logistics. Does anyone have anything to say about either of these companies, or can recommend a third company to get an estimate from? I need to sort this this week! Many thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 11:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Can anyone recommend shipping companies New York to UK?

Originally Posted by MinMax
My apartment sale has pretty much gone through so I'll be on the Queen Mary 2 in mid-November. I have two shipping companies coming to give estimates for moving my household: Bourne's, whose marketing person has written extensively on this forum, and Schumacher Cargo Logistics. Does anyone have anything to say about either of these companies, or can recommend a third company to get an estimate from? I need to sort this this week! Many thanks.
I strongly advise that you look at the www.movingscam.com website. If you go to the subheading 'Articles' there is a drop down box for information on international moving, and in the Messageboard there is a thread on relocating from NYC to London, so you may pick up some useful tips there.

Btw; enjoy your 'homecoming' on the QM2. I had a surprise trip on it from NYC to Southampton (I'm resident in New Jersey) when it was my 25th wedding anniversary (got married on July 4th!) and my spouse secretly arranged for us to renew our vows with the Captain. It was lovely sailing away from New York with a band playing on deck There was a lot of sea fog during the crossing so I didn't spend as much time on the outside decks as I envisaged. I especially enjoyed ordering breakfast in bed a number of times, what a fab way to wake up lol!

Good Luck! Where are you relocating to in the UK?
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone recommend shipping companies New York to UK?

I have used Schumacher for shipping cars from Italy and Belgium to the USA for the last several years and never had any issues with them.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

MinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear about Schumacher. I'll meet their rep on Thursday.

I'm moving to the Isle of Wight where I have friends. Never lived there before--I grew up in London suburbs and went to art school in London and left the country a couple of years later. Somehow that turned into 40 years--sometimes I regard it as Doing Time. At others it has been a very interesting adventure.

I have looked at movingscam, but missed that thread. I'll look for it.

Thanks guys!
Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

I'm getting a third estimate from Rainier; if anyone has used them I'd like to hear.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 4:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear about Schumacher. I'll meet their rep on Thursday.

I'm moving to the Isle of Wight where I have friends. Never lived there before--I grew up in London suburbs and went to art school in London and left the country a couple of years later. Somehow that turned into 40 years--sometimes I regard it as Doing Time. At others it has been a very interesting adventure.

I have looked at movingscam, but missed that thread. I'll look for it.

Thanks guys!
Ah! My daughter and granddaughter live on the Isle of Wight (in Ryde, just a stone's throw from the beach). I spent all of July and most of August there as I was relocating back to New Jersey from Switzerland. The island is very pretty....but it will be a shock after NYC....all the shops in the town centres close at 5pm with the exception of the larger supermarkets and mini-marts. It's also pretty expensive getting on and off the island....but it attracts a lot of artistic people and there are a lot of events and festivals there.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ah! My daughter and granddaughter live on the Isle of Wight (in Ryde, just a stone's throw from the beach). I spent all of July and most of August there as I was relocating back to New Jersey from Switzerland. The island is very pretty....but it will be a shock after NYC....all the shops in the town centres close at 5pm with the exception of the larger supermarkets and mini-marts. It's also pretty expensive getting on and off the island....but it attracts a lot of artistic people and there are a lot of events and festivals there.
How perfect that you know the island. I have friends in Ventnor on the south coast there. I hadn't thought about shops closing at 5! That will take some getting used to! I want to live a completely different life, and this will be. And I can always go up to London if I want city things.

Perhaps your daughter knows something about the island. I have to start another thread on this, but I'm concerned about land slippage on the south coast (which is my favourite part): we all know cliffs have falls, but there have been other slides where there is clay on top of chalk that gets overloaded with the wildly heavy rains they've had the last few years. Not good for housing!