Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

can anyone explain FIRPTA please

can anyone explain FIRPTA please

Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

robbie3002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can anyone explain FIRPTA please

trying to understand this and how I can avoid it.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone explain FIRPTA please

Sell before you leave the US, otherwise it is unavoidable. The withheld tax unwinds when you complete your tax return.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

I think I read somewhere that I would have to have had the house as main resident for 2 years or something.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbie3002
I think I read somewhere that I would have to have had the house as main resident for 2 years or something.
Two of the last five years, yes.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

only owned the house 1yr 2 months!
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

the house is in joint names and haven't divorced yet. but my wife moved out 3 months ago, I am still living in the house, does that complicate things if she has moved out?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:21 pm

the house is in joint names and haven't divorced yet. but my wife moved out 3 months ago, I am still living in the house, does that complicate things if she has moved out?
Moving out, no; filing taxes separately, maybe, if there is a gain on the sale.

The only real issue, from a tax perspective, arises if you sell at a profit, but unless your house is in an exceptionally hot market, surely you'll be selling at a loss, after realtors fees? In which case you will get back your withheld tax when you file your taxes for 2016.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

but what about this FIRPTA, surely I have to stay here for 2 years
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:28 pm

but what about this FIRPTA, surely I have to stay here for 2 years
But you're not going to, are you?

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2016 at 10:33 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

the house is worth, well I bought it for $320,000 and really don't fancy paying 15%
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

i just need to work out what my best options are. the money i put it to it all, well i bought the house for case from sale of my uk property, so is my life savings. and my childrens inheritance
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:36 pm

the house is worth, well I bought it for $320,000 and really don't fancy paying 15%
Well for starters the withholding rate is still only 10% for properties worth less than $1million.
i just need to work out what my best options are. the money i put it to it all, well i bought the house for case from sale of my uk property, so is my life savings. and my childrens inheritance
Isn't it a bit late to be thinking about that?

Did you have a pre-nup?

If you don't sell at a profit you don't have much to worry about, other than some paperwork.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

no pre nup! i know stupid. i have an email from wife saying i would get my $320,000 back if we split and any profits shared. if i sell no there is no profit, and then the agents fees etc etc
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

it is always too late to think of things after the event, a year of so ago we were happy as larry. then things change!