Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Calling all retirees re going back to UK

Calling all retirees re going back to UK

Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Marion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all retirees re going back to UK

I may be on the wrong forum as I`m a senior. But what the heck here goes.
Are there any retired people that have lived abroad for a number of years and decided to throw in the towel and go back to the UK?
We could by no means afford to buy a house and from what I see on the 'net' rental property seems very expensive in the UK so that alone seems a problem when one is on pension.
You never know good old England may welcome us back with open arms, on the other hand they may look at us and think 'another drain on society!!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all retirees re going back to UK

Originally posted by Marion
I may be on the wrong forum as I`m a senior. But what the heck here goes.
Are there any retired people that have lived abroad for a number of years and decided to throw in the towel and go back to the UK?
We could by no means afford to buy a house and from what I see on the 'net' rental property seems very expensive in the UK so that alone seems a problem when one is on pension.
You never know good old England may welcome us back with open arms, on the other hand they may look at us and think 'another drain on society!!
It probably depends where you want to live as to whether you can afford to buy a House or not.
If you want to be in or around London then you will probably need a Lottery win to buy.
However if you are prepared to be flexible there are reasonably priced houses elsewhere.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 6:02 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all retirees re going back to UK

Originally posted by JayJay
It probably depends where you want to live as to whether you can afford to buy a House or not.
If you want to be in or around London then you will probably need a Lottery win to buy.
However if you are prepared to be flexible there are reasonably priced houses elsewhere.
Jay Jay is right, anywhere in the south east is going to be expensive but the further north you go the housing is cheaper. Obviously where there is a demand housing up north can be expensive too but generally it is cheaper than down south. Housing in the South west is fairly cheap too, look about you'll be amazed what you can find.

Good luck,
Emm.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Deborah1 is an unknown quantity at this point

As the others have said the price of housing all depends on whereabouts in the UK you want to live. The great thing about being retired is that you don't have to live close to where the jobs are. There are many beautiful areas in the UK with reasonable prices because most people can't live there as there is little employment.

I would get yourself a good map of the UK and then visit
www.rightmove.co.uk on this website you can put in the name of a town and it will give you info on the houses for sale. This way you will soon get a feel for where you might be able to afford to buy/rent.

As others have said in general the north of England is less expensive than the south.

I think Scotland is a great place to live and there are some very affordable areas. Wales would be good to check out too.

www.upmystreet.co.uk is also good for giving you background info on a town.