Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Buying in UK from Australia

Buying in UK from Australia

Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Buying in UK from Australia

Anyone bought a house before they went back, any advice?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:58 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: Buying in UK from Australia

Originally Posted by Teabag

Yes we did. Sister viewed it for us, as it was down the road from my parents I knew which house it was. I phoned the estate agent (who had actually sold our house before we went to Oz) and put in an offer, it was accepted, we let the solicitors know and that was that. We had already booked our tickets home and it was six weeks before we were due to arrive and we did all the correspondance via e-mail. I had also worked for a Chartered Surveyor before we left so I contacted him and arranged a survey and he e-mailed the results. We found it very easy but it was perhaps due to us knowing the relevant contacts previously and having close family in the same town.

Good Luck

Susan
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

No, but you are welcome to buy mine
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying in UK from Australia

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Yes we did. Sister viewed it for us, as it was down the road from my parents I knew which house it was. I phoned the estate agent (who had actually sold our house before we went to Oz) and put in an offer, it was accepted, we let the solicitors know and that was that. We had already booked our tickets home and it was six weeks before we were due to arrive and we did all the correspondance via e-mail. I had also worked for a Chartered Surveyor before we left so I contacted him and arranged a survey and he e-mailed the results. We found it very easy but it was perhaps due to us knowing the relevant contacts previously and having close family in the same town.

Good Luck

Susan
and, such happy parents!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Thanks for that! I guess you paid outright for it? I wonder how it would be if one needed a mortgage?

Scrawni - I'll swap ya! Where is your house?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought 2 coats and a pair of boots if its any help?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have bought 2 coats and a pair of boots if its any help?

yep our family of four could live in that
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

yep our family of four could live in that
Yeah, good point!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:33 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

anyone know how u stand mortgage wise, buying whilst in oz?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

I think this is so cute!

Does anyone know what "Onward Chain" is please?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...rom_feat=false
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:09 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

I think this is so cute!

Does anyone know what "Onward Chain" is please?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...rom_feat=false

there is no upward chain, i.e the owners will not be buying, therefore shorter chain quite a good thing the way chains go!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

so if the owner's are buying something else, you have to wait for them to find something? Sound's very different to the standard 30 days settlement here.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:19 am
going home!!

so if the owner's are buying something else, you have to wait for them to find something? Sound's very different to the standard 30 days settlement here.
yep chains!!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:22 am
going home!!

forgot to say, to buy a house in uk, it takes ages! usually much longer than 30 days!

u will be in better position though, presuming you have nothing to sell in uk, so therefore you will be thought as favourably by the seller, therefore reflect this information in the offer you make to the seller

goodluck