Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in the UK by a foreigner

Buying a car in the UK by a foreigner

Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

philcan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in the UK by a foreigner

Hello, don't you know, if is it possible to buy and registrate a car in the UK as I am not a citizen of the UK? I am planning moving to England in about two-three years. You know, difference between European and British cars are in a position of steering wheel. So I don't like to buy an European car, then sell it and then buy another one in the UK, because it is loosing of money. Yes, I could buy an used car, but I don't want to have problems with repairing, etc. So it would be good if I could buy a car in the UK and registrate it there. That short time in Slovakia wouldn't be problem for me. I don't drive so much, so different steering wouldn't be so big problem and I'm planning my car would drive long years in England. And the important reason is that I like that car very much and I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible to buy it new in about three years. I want it now, but with steering ready for English roads.

Is it possible to own a car in the UK as I am not an UK citizen?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:19 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in the UK by a foreigner

Of course you can - why would you not be able to
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

No problems buying the car. Insurance will be higher as you might get classed as a new driver.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:47 am
Just Joined

I've heard something that I have to be a resident if I want to registrate a car in the UK. But if you say it's not problem I should get more information about that. Thanks for replies.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philcan
I've heard something that I have to be a resident if I want to registrate a car in the UK. But if you say it's not problem I should get more information about that. Thanks for replies.
I don't think that I have ever had anyone ask about my status when buying a car and I have bought both new and second hand, though it has been 10 years since buying one.

I know that I have had managers transfer over to the UK on temporary assignments that have bought cars and they have never mentioned anything about any problems they have had.

Good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:37 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
I don't think that I have ever had anyone ask about my status when buying a car and I have bought both new and second hand, though it has been 10 years since buying one.

I know that I have had managers transfer over to the UK on temporary assignments that have bought cars and they have never mentioned anything about any problems they have had.

Good luck.
Just bought a used car - private sale - we weren't asked about residential status. I'm just checking the Registration Certificate now as I write this, and it doesn't state anywhere that you have to be a UK resident. On the front of the form there is the phase "Registration Certificate" written in 23 different languages.
the website is
www.direct.gov.co.uk/motoring if you need more help.
Good Luck philcan

I've just read the leaflet that comes with the certiciate, and found this:

"Section 11. Notification of Permanent Export V5C/4
Complete Section 11 if you intend taking your vehicle abroad form ore than 12 months. This is regarded as a permanent export....."
It goes on to explain which bit needs to be filled in, etc. So, it seems you don't need to be a UK resident to buy a car in the UK. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jay Bird; Jul 31st 2008 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:09 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Just found another bit! If the car is bought privately, the seller asks the buyer to complete the relevant part fo the form with the intended date of export, and then notifies the DVLA that he has disposed of the vehicle. Voila! So, philcan, if oyu buy privately, tell the seller you are exporting the car, and take it from there.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:57 am
Just Joined

I know, there's no problem with buying and then exporting. But in Slovakia you can't registrate car with steering wheel on the right side. So I should registrate it in Britain and drive it as a British car in abroad. That means I would pay insurance in the UK. It would be much easier if I could registrate it in Slovakia (like cars from Germany, Austria, etc...).
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:18 am
itchy feet again!

I know, there's no problem with buying and then exporting. But in Slovakia you can't registrate car with steering wheel on the right side. So I should registrate it in Britain and drive it as a British car in abroad. That means I would pay insurance in the UK. It would be much easier if I could registrate it in Slovakia (like cars from Germany, Austria, etc...).
Sorry, but even I can't change the rules for you. You orginal question was whether you could actually buy and register a car in the UK. The answer is yes, you can
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

But you were speaking about buying and exporting (sorry, if I haven't understood something, excuse my English). I would like to have a car registrated in the UK same as British. But if it's ok, I would be happy.

Sorry, but the link you wrote, doesn't work.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But you were speaking about buying and exporting (sorry, if I haven't understood something, excuse my English). I would like to have a car registrated in the UK same as British. But if it's ok, I would be happy.

Sorry, but the link you wrote, doesn't work.
Try: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/index.htm
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

I've just checked a registration form and I found out that the "Address of the vehicle keeper must be in England, Scotland or Wales". I think that's the basic problem. As I said I'm planning moving to the UK in about three years so I don't have any address there at present time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DG_067819.pdf (56.6 KB, 4666 views)
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

ben231 is an unknown quantity at this point

i also wanted to find out whether its possible to temporarily export my car for 11.5 months to russia from the uk. and still have its tax being paid in the uk,as iam a student in russia.
*not a resident(non EU passport).
*my car is registered on my uk address(parents are residents).
* so my questions is will i lawfully be allowed to go out with that car from the uk and still use as british car??
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

Haven't a clue about Russia but we moved to Portugal - in the EU of course- and found it is illegal to drive around in a car with British plates for longer than 6 months. I doubt if you would get UK insurance to cover you for that amount of time abroad, and it is very difficult here to find insurers that will insure a UK registered car. There are a couple of companies covering Spain and Portugal, but there is debate about the legal validity of the cover in the event of an accident. The whole car registration thing seems unnecessarily complicated, but I guess it's all about taxation in the end. And in Portugal yes - you do need to be resident in the country to register the car.
Be careful... good luck!

Last edited by OrkneytoPortugal; Apr 25th 2009 at 10:26 am. Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.