Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in the UK – what to do?

Buying a car in the UK – what to do?

Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:50 pm
Merlot

Default Buying a car in the UK – what to do?

Hi there

I know the NSW system back to front, blue slips, pink slips, CTP Green Slips and comp insurance, what is the system in the UK when you buy a car?

All I can remember is that a car needs an MOT once a year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Merlot

PS I have noticed the price of AA/RAC is through the roof, I pay AUD77.50 per year here with NRMA, about 25 quid. Over in the UK around 150 quid, is this right?

Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:13 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

AA cover starts from about 40 quid a year. that is the basic level of cover and does not include them coming to your home to get you started on a cold winters morning. to get that service you do have to pay the higher premium.

you're right you do need to get an MOT every year but only on cars that are more than 2 or possibly 3 years old.

you also have to tax your car every year which is about £165 for a car with an egine size over 1.5. it is cheaper if you have a less powerful car but not loads.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:42 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a car in the UK – what to do?

Originally posted by Merlot
Hi there

I know the NSW system back to front, blue slips, pink slips, CTP Green Slips and comp insurance, what is the system in the UK when you buy a car?

All I can remember is that a car needs an MOT once a year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Merlot

PS I have noticed the price of AA/RAC is through the roof, I pay AUD77.50 per year here with NRMA, about 25 quid. Over in the UK around 150 quid, is this right?
Hi Merlot,

When you buy a car privately or from a dealer you need to have the V5 registration document - this is all you need....though you'll need an isurance cover note, £165 (12 months tax for larger cars - it's £88ish for 6 months - town centre post offices only), a valid MOT if the car is over 3 years old (doesnt matter if theres 1 day left on the MOT - it can be taxed on this) and the V5 in your name (or the tear off part that you keep until the whole V5 reaches you). Dont buy a car without the V5 - it's illegal to sell one without it now, but it can go on with private sellers if you get a crook (not likely). Smaller cars can be taxed for £100 per 12 months.

Shop around for insurance as it varies a lot - basic cover is called Third Party Fire and Theft - and is covered for everything but repairs to your car when the accident is your fault. You can get RAC/AA cover from £39.99 upwards these days - some are even cheaper then this - I think Green Flag is £29 per annum now. Cars have to be MOT'd every 12 months and cost a standard rate of around £40 I think. Most sellers offer 12 months with each car + some tax as they know it would have to be sold for very little otherwise. Fords and Vauxhalls (Holdens) are cheap to run, insure and repair. Jap cars are reliable but tend to be pricey to repair / insure. Rovers are cheap, but a bit unreliable. There are hundreds of used cars to choose from - try local press or www.autotrader.co.uk for a huge selection. Petrol is costly, but unlike Oz or NZ or the USA, everything in the UK is close by, so it balances out. Car hire is costly though - I dont know why, it just is, so I'd avoid it unless necessary as you can pick up something for 12 months for less then £200 that's taxed and MOT'd....then you just scrap it. I don't know where you are heading in the UK, but Inner London is subject to a £5 congestion charge now and is littered with speed cameras. Out of London, things are a lot better.

all the best, Rich.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:08 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Merlot,

When you buy a car privately or from a dealer you need to have the V5 registration document - this is all you need....though you'll need an isurance cover note, £165 (12 months tax for larger cars - it's £88ish for 6 months - town centre post offices only), a valid MOT if the car is over 3 years old (doesnt matter if theres 1 day left on the MOT - it can be taxed on this) and the V5 in your name (or the tear off part that you keep until the whole V5 reaches you). Dont buy a car without the V5 - it's illegal to sell one without it now, but it can go on with private sellers if you get a crook (not likely). Smaller cars can be taxed for £100 per 12 months.

Shop around for insurance as it varies a lot - basic cover is called Third Party Fire and Theft - and is covered for everything but repairs to your car when the accident is your fault. You can get RAC/AA cover from £39.99 upwards these days - some are even cheaper then this - I think Green Flag is £29 per annum now. Cars have to be MOT'd every 12 months and cost a standard rate of around £40 I think. Most sellers offer 12 months with each car + some tax as they know it would have to be sold for very little otherwise. Fords and Vauxhalls (Holdens) are cheap to run, insure and repair. Jap cars are reliable but tend to be pricey to repair / insure. Rovers are cheap, but a bit unreliable. There are hundreds of used cars to choose from - try local press or www.autotrader.co.uk for a huge selection. Petrol is costly, but unlike Oz or NZ or the USA, everything in the UK is close by, so it balances out. Car hire is costly though - I dont know why, it just is, so I'd avoid it unless necessary as you can pick up something for 12 months for less then £200 that's taxed and MOT'd....then you just scrap it. I don't know where you are heading in the UK, but Inner London is subject to a £5 congestion charge now and is littered with speed cameras. Out of London, things are a lot better.

all the best, Rich.
Many thanks Fuzzyness & Rich, very helpful indeed. A mine field this car stuff.

Rich, hope you are tracking OK on-route to the UK?

Cheers and thanks
Merlot

Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:53 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks Fuzzyness & Rich, very helpful indeed. A mine field this car stuff.

Rich, hope you are tracking OK on-route to the UK?

Cheers and thanks
Merlot

Hi Merlot,

Am currently in Pittsburgh, where its "f**k me" minus degrees celsius......there's 12 inches of snow and more to come, but I really love what I've seen of the place. Everything here really is cheap, but then most of the stuff I've bought is made here, so it makes sense. I've got another 3 weeks give or take a day, so plenty more to see and do. The wife is already in the UK. I take it that you are coming back to the UK just temporarily now, rather than permanent as first thought? Just picked this up from your profile edit.....

all the best with the move, Rich.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:10 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Merlot,

I take it that you are coming back to the UK just temporarily now, rather than permanent as first thought? Just picked this up from your profile edit.....

all the best with the move, Rich.
Wow, snow - I believe the UK is under similar conditions.

As far as back to the UK, my mind is 99% set to stay there permanently but after reading posts and taking into consideration my hubby's feelings, we are storing a couple of bits here in case we decide it is not for us. He came from the UK to Oz in 1987 and has spent half of his life here. We are going back to live at my parents town so he has got a lot to take on board. This gives him a piece of security in Oz incase he hates the place.

We are looking at it as a "working holiday" as we don't want to get back then get bogged down into everyday life. We want to rent what we can and travel when we can in the UK & Europe. The hassle of selling up over in Oz has been relatively straight forward but tiring and bloody hard work. It's more a mind game thing to say working holiday and keeps the spirits high.

By keeping our ties limited wherever we are in the world this gives us the ability to move around. I am personally over Australia, I am completely bored with it to be honest, especially the NSW Central Coast - nothing happens for people without kids!!! We don't like the heat and are NOT beach people.

I have spent a lot of time down to Sydney to try and liven myself up. There is bugger all to see anywhere historially and little in culture! Sorry to sound down on it, but really over it!

Great to hear you are trucking and all the very best moving around. Keep us posted!

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:35 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Wow, snow - I believe the UK is under similar conditions.

As far as back to the UK, my mind is 99% set to stay there permanently but after reading posts and taking into consideration my hubby's feelings, we are storing a couple of bits here in case we decide it is not for us. He came from the UK to Oz in 1987 and has spent half of his life here. We are going back to live at my parents town so he has got a lot to take on board. This gives him a piece of security in Oz incase he hates the place.

We are looking at it as a "working holiday" as we don't want to get back then get bogged down into everyday life. We want to rent what we can and travel when we can in the UK & Europe. The hassle of selling up over in Oz has been relatively straight forward but tiring and bloody hard work. It's more a mind game thing to say working holiday and keeps the spirits high.

By keeping our ties limited wherever we are in the world this gives us the ability to move around. I am personally over Australia, I am completely bored with it to be honest, especially the NSW Central Coast - nothing happens for people without kids!!! We don't like the heat and are NOT beach people.

I have spent a lot of time down to Sydney to try and liven myself up. There is bugger all to see anywhere historially and little in culture! Sorry to sound down on it, but really over it!

Great to hear you are trucking and all the very best moving around. Keep us posted!

Best wishes
Merlot
We found it similar in NZ during the short stay we had there....will be back in the UK in 3 weeks....best idea is not to cut ties with any country just in case you need/want to go back though...if you can maintain the ties that is, however small....

all the best, Rich.