Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British TV is the best in the World.

Wikiposts

British TV is the best in the World.

Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British TV is the best in the World.

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Well actually most of Europe, not just Britain.

They EU has a law limiting the amount of commercial breaks in a program, think there can only be 1 every 15 min, so in a 20 min program you get 1 commercial break half way through.

See, the EU is good for some things.

Not only is the amount of commercials on Australian TV annoying, but then they even have programs that are about... wait for it, commercials! You know all those morning and lunch time programs, all it is, is someone sitting on a chair who says “Now over to bob” and then bob comes on to sell us a mobile phone or fitness machine, and then it goes back to the nobody sitting on the couch and they say “now over to bob again” and we go back to bob, who is now trying to sell us a blender.

My grandparents came over to visit us and after 1 week, watching TV my grand was able to say word for word what would be next in Bob’s selling. lol

OMG - this is my pet hate in australia - yes the ads during shows are insane (every programme runs over and I find the foxtel stops taping - IQ now has a button so that you can add on 20 mins to the recording - I'm convinced its because of the shows always running over) - but morning TV is an insult to intelligence. that Glen bloke makes me want to kill myself - I'd put him in the f*kin blender - prositituting himself to sell duff funeral insurance etc and trying to sound like he thinks its the best idea in the world ever - they call them "Advertorials" - how crap is that? trying to make watching adverts sound like a genuine learning experience. the presenters are so fake its pathetic.
http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/advertorials/

makes Richard and Judy seem like Nobel prize winning TV.

Last edited by merleoberon; Nov 19th 2009 at 10:36 am.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
OMG - this is my pet hate in australia - yes the ads during shows are insane (every programme runs over and I find the foxtel stops taping - IQ now has a button so that you can add on 20 mins to the recording - I'm convinced its because of the shows always running over) - but morning TV is an insult to intelligence. that Glen bloke makes me want to kill myself - I'd put him in the f*kin blender - prositituting himself to sell duff funeral insurance etc and trying to sound like he thinks its the best idea in the world ever - they call them "Advertorials" - how crap is that? trying to make watching adverts sound like a genuine learning experience. the presenters are so fake its pathetic.
http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/advertorials/

makes Richard and Judy seem like Nobel prize winning TV.
I get sick of those long ads here too, it used to be confined to 2am and channels no one watched, but now they are everywhere. Here they call them Infomercials, Ds got quite frantic one day he was convinced by an infomercial that I really needed that new Mop Poor kid, he still watches, I now need a shark stick vac and steamer.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I get sick of those long ads here too, it used to be confined to 2am and channels no one watched, but now they are everywhere. Here they call them Infomercials, Ds got quite frantic one day he was convinced by an infomercial that I really needed that new Mop Poor kid, he still watches, I now need a shark stick vac and steamer.
i have to admit - i have been tempted by the lime greenrotating dust catcher thingy that is sold in oz - it appears you can dust the whole place without actually having to move anything - very good for lazy people like me. its also safe on chandaliers so it would be handy when i get round to filling my house with them.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
i have to admit - i have been tempted by the lime greenrotating dust catcher thingy that is sold in oz - it appears you can dust the whole place without actually having to move anything - very good for lazy people like me. its also safe on chandaliers so it would be handy when i get round to filling my house with them.
Haha, they have been advertising that every day for years, is that the one that if you call now you’ll get a second one for a friend, and not only that, they’ll even throw in a mini one for those hard to reach places, but wait there’s more! If you buy today they’ll even throw in the handy shelf that holds the damn thing!

My favourite one of all time though is the Snuggie.... you know, that blanket with sleeves! lol

The worst part with these programs is that as soon as Glenn starts selling a duster, Telstra package or funeral plan, if you switch over to another channel there is another idiot selling the EXACT same thing! And it’s the same, every day, day in day out, has been for years.... just like how Mash is on everyday at 5 O’Clock, nothing changes!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite one of all time though is the Snuggie.... you know, that blanket with sleeves! lol
Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:02 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh

Why don't they just put a bath robe on backwards
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Yes it's truly awful, no doubt about that. The same as US/Canada - in fact the same as everywhere in the world apart from Britain, which is what this thread is about. We should be able to subscribe to the BBC from overseas - millions would do it. They get the extra revenue and we get to watch something other than adverts for roller blinds and piles cream.
We subscribe to My Private Network here in Canada and pay 5 pounds per month (I only have a $ key! ) and for this we get bbc iplayer ,channel 4, ITV etc. It must be available in Oz too , it can be a little tempremental but most definitely worth it I barely watch canadian TV now.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
We subscribe to My Private Network here in Canada and pay 5 pounds per month (I only have a $ key! )
Try the # symbol above the 3 with the shift key.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:06 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Try the # symbol above the 3 with the shift key.
<alt>0163<alt>

£££
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:56 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had a look at the UK TV schedule for prime time tonight, Saturday November 21st. Goodness knows how many channels awash in rubbish of all types, some of it from the USA. When you say British TV is the best in the world I think what you mean is that BBC TV is the best in the world, and I would agree, although even it is not adverse to catering to the masses with crap.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
<alt>0163<alt>

£££

Bit long winded....5 keys as opposed to shift and #...but fun though
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:57 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bit long winded....5 keys as opposed to shift and #...but fun though
am I missing something? shift-3 just gives me #, not £
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Alt 3 gives me a £ sign
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:10 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Alt 3 gives me a £ sign
not for me - I have to use alt>0163<alt - and even then it only seems to work using the numbers in the separate set on the right of the keyboard rather than along the top

fascinating stuff, eh?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by elfman
am I missing something? shift-3 just gives me #, not £
Have you selected English(UK) as the keyboard language?

Of course it does swap a couple of other things around like the " and @ so it has its downside...I got used to it quickly though.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 21st 2009 at 4:09 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.