Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British TV is the best in the World.

Wikiposts

British TV is the best in the World.

Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:21 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV is the best in the World.

Originally Posted by brits1
Duh!! why I have not thought of that before...lol...too much sun...you know I have not watched corrie in years..I think the last time I watched it Bet (?) use to be behind the bar....I prefered Emmerdale...I know, I know...lol...I use to think Eastenders was depressing when it first started so never really watched that either...not sure what it is like nowadays.....
Emmerdale is just as depressing these days. No one's got a civil word to say to/about anyone, any excuse to bear a grudge, get into a strop, or feel sorry for themselves, etc.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Emmerdale is just as depressing these days. No one's got a civil word to say to/about anyone, any excuse to bear a grudge, get into a strop, or feel sorry for themselves, etc.
I quite like Emmerdale as the countryside looks nice and it's all a bit twee. I tried to watch Eastenders but everyone just shouts at each other.

Take the High Road, now there was cutting edge telly.

"Oooh Mrs McGuillycutty have ya nae got my copy of Fly Tyers Reader's Wives in yet"?

"Nooo"

"occh bollox"

Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same the world over....that's why I only watch documentaries...films I know I will like....I actually turned Emmerdale on UK t.v yesterday...it did not seem as depressing to me as it does to you...lol...now watching all the American programmes that are on t.v. here...now that is depressing and I sometimes think those types of programmes and films have a lot to answer for with the youth of today....a few months ago I went to a Garden centre near where we live and said to the young lady who was helping me...that's a nice American accent where in the States are you from?...the young lady replied..."oh no...I am Australian I just watch American programmes 24/7"...honestly....I am not kidding.....
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the Aussie TV is terrible with commercials, and what’s with the whole thing about having commercials at the start, like they let the program start (the intro tune or whatever) and then go back to commercials, then every 5 minutes (or less) during the program there are more and more commercial breaks, then the show ends they have more commercials but then come back for the credits and then back to commercials again!

And even more annoying is that it’s the same commercials all the time, I don’t need to hear about life insurance 60 times during the same program, and I really don’t need to see 100’s of commercials telling me how expensive my funeral will be if I don’t take out their life plan, I know how expensive my funeral will be, you told me 5 minutes ago!

And Aussies think it’s normal!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I quite like Emmerdale as the countryside looks nice and it's all a bit twee. I tried to watch Eastenders but everyone just shouts at each other.

Take the High Road, now there was cutting edge telly.

"Oooh Mrs McGuillycutty have ya nae got my copy of Fly Tyers Reader's Wives in yet"?

"Nooo"

"occh bollox"

Take the High Road was great
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

British tv makes me homesick, I've just managed to aquire all the Jamie at home episodes
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

Due to not having cable at the minute I have been subjected to watching Days of Our Lives a few times... Just awful!

Uk TV is great, if it wasn't for Youtube, etc I'd be cracking up, I don't keep as up to date with the soaps but the likes of Top Gear I HAVE to see. I like the variety of documentaries on UK TV too.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:18 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Oh the Aussie TV is terrible with commercials, and what’s with the whole thing about having commercials at the start, like they let the program start (the intro tune or whatever) and then go back to commercials, then every 5 minutes (or less) during the program there are more and more commercial breaks, then the show ends they have more commercials but then come back for the credits and then back to commercials again!

And even more annoying is that it’s the same commercials all the time, I don’t need to hear about life insurance 60 times during the same program, and I really don’t need to see 100’s of commercials telling me how expensive my funeral will be if I don’t take out their life plan, I know how expensive my funeral will be, you told me 5 minutes ago!

it sounds like US TV. My mother is getting quite exasperated watching while she's here.
We are used to it and all jump up, make tea, go for a wee, etc.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's truly awful, no doubt about that. The same as US/Canada - in fact the same as everywhere in the world apart from Britain, which is what this thread is about. We should be able to subscribe to the BBC from overseas - millions would do it. They get the extra revenue and we get to watch something other than adverts for roller blinds and piles cream.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Yes it's truly awful, no doubt about that. The same as US/Canada - in fact the same as everywhere in the world apart from Britain, which is what this thread is about. We should be able to subscribe to the BBC from overseas - millions would do it. They get the extra revenue and we get to watch something other than adverts for roller blinds and piles cream.
This something I truly can't understand, because I'm sure you are absolutely correct - people are used to the idea of downloading music, videos, etc., and I'm sure that Brits and non-Brits alike would subscribe or pay on a PAYG basis for quality UK programming.

I watched a news interview earlier this year in which the BBC head honcho for developing iPlayer was boastfully going on about what wonderful advances they have made in meeting the wants and needs of viewers. When asked about the idea of making it available as a pay service for people overseas he said that they had looked into it and the logistics were such that it wasn't worth it financially. His response was quite brief and almost dismissive.

I find this hard to believe (though I think someone responded the last time I said this that the international licensing issues in all the different countries was a legal and logistical minefield so maybe it is true ...).
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Well actually most of Europe, not just Britain.

They EU has a law limiting the amount of commercial breaks in a program, think there can only be 1 every 15 min, so in a 20 min program you get 1 commercial break half way through.

See, the EU is good for some things.

Not only is the amount of commercials on Australian TV annoying, but then they even have programs that are about... wait for it, commercials! You know all those morning and lunch time programs, all it is, is someone sitting on a chair who says “Now over to bob” and then bob comes on to sell us a mobile phone or fitness machine, and then it goes back to the nobody sitting on the couch and they say “now over to bob again” and we go back to bob, who is now trying to sell us a blender.

My grandparents came over to visit us and after 1 week, watching TV my grand was able to say word for word what would be next in Bob’s selling. lol
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

They EU has a law limiting the amount of commercial breaks in a program, think there can only be 1 every 15 min, so in a 20 min program you get 1 commercial break half way through.

Not only is the amount of commercials on Australian TV annoying, but then they even have programs that are about... wait for it, commercials! You know all those morning and lunch time programs, all it is, is someone sitting on a chair who says “Now over to bob” and then bob comes on to sell us a mobile phone or fitness machine, and then it goes back to the nobody sitting on the couch and they say “now over to bob again” and we go back to bob, who is now trying to sell us a blender.

My grandparents came over to visit us and after 1 week, watching TV my grand was able to say word for word what would be next in Bob’s selling. lol
Years ago (pre Foxtel days in my house) there used to be some English guy (from oop norf) selling some magical chip dicer made of plastic. He must've been aiming at the Brit expats because I don't know a single person here that cooks chips at home.

I put this up a while back:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634379
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I used to love watching Corrie,but there are so many ads on foxtel now I have stopped, I think we must get 10 mins of Corrie and 20 mins of ads in that 30 min show...T.V iin Oz just sucks
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

This something I truly can't understand, because I'm sure you are absolutely correct - people are used to the idea of downloading music, videos, etc., and I'm sure that Brits and non-Brits alike would subscribe or pay on a PAYG basis for quality UK programming.

I watched a news interview earlier this year in which the BBC head honcho for developing iPlayer was boastfully going on about what wonderful advances they have made in meeting the wants and needs of viewers. When asked about the idea of making it available as a pay service for people overseas he said that they had looked into it and the logistics were such that it wasn't worth it financially. His response was quite brief and almost dismissive.

I find this hard to believe (though I think someone responded the last time I said this that the international licensing issues in all the different countries was a legal and logistical minefield so maybe it is true ...).
I am suspicious as well. I can see no reason why I can pay for Sky satellite but not BBC satellite - plus there's all the internet stuff as well which must be easily done.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

I know the shows you mean - they are awful. I do not watch advertisements. Even in the UK where they started to be every 10 or 12 minutes in some shows I would mute the TV and put the stereo on a listen to a song while chatting. Five minutes later off goes the music and back to the show. Here in Australia where, like the US, a 90 minutes film will last three hours because equal time is given to both the film and the commercials, I simply switch it off and read a book = I see none of the commercials. So however much they pay to put these adverts on they're totally wasted on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.