British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/british-isles-long-past-its-better-days-not-625187/)

meauxna Aug 16th 2009 6:31 pm

Re: Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 7848407)
Nooooo.....but I'm sure it lasted longer and the stench was worse in the UK:p

Well, we do have all those preservatives in our food here, so it take longer to rot. :p

Jerseygirl Aug 16th 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7848403)
I'm sorry, you must've missed all the times New York City made the news.. :lol:

http://s2.buzzfeed.com/static/enhanc...9169017-13.jpg

(On the same page, notice other less rich countries like Canada, Greece, Italy)

To be fair, it happens.

And Toronto...the city stunk a few weeks ago...and it's not the first time.

meauxna Aug 16th 2009 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7848427)
And Toronto...the city stunk a few weeks ago...and it's not the first time.

It's in there.. and Athens.

paddingtongreen Aug 16th 2009 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7839816)
You mean like the US Secretary of State, Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of Agriculture........... - need I go on?

So Elvira, when did you vote for someone for the position of Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary, Home Secretary, or any other member of the cabinet, come to that?

elfman Aug 16th 2009 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7848403)
(On the same page, notice other less rich countries like Canada, Greece, Italy).

I don't think the EU has had to take punitive measures against the UK over rubbish collections just yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7385282.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7423245.stm

radion Aug 16th 2009 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7848360)
Then you need to get out of the village a bit more, maybe move to another part of UK, you don't abandon a whole country just cause you live near a few weirdos

Mummy,
Really have you ever been to Cornwall, I am not blowing this up so it sounds good, places like Milton Keynes that I have seen rise over a matter of 20yrs, all new all shining, only to meet peeps saying they wish terrace housing could be like it is in London, when exactly was mass terrace housing built in London.

I have lived elsewhere, seen other places, talked to other peeps not from around here, I just think we need to move forward in our thinking and this is part of the reason peeps going to the USA feel homesick, its their memories which are made into something the UK isn't, a little tiny point, the moving walkway at Gatwick broke down before we went on our hols, it still was broken two weeks later, 9 weeks after that my sister flew out on her hols, still not fixed, and no sign of any effort, a small thing admitted but come on.
Its old, and I am only saying what I see on this, that's all.

I am liking the debate on this one:thumbup:

Newport-Pagnell, Bletchley, Watford, just have a good look and tell me what you see, and what you think you see

CelticRover Aug 16th 2009 7:33 pm

[QUOTE=elfman;7848484]I don't think the EU has had to take punitive measures against the UK over rubbish collections just yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7385282.stm

This link made me wonder what authority the EU might have over the UK, if any.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 16th 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by radion (Post 7848493)
Mummy,
Really have you ever been to Cornwall, I am not blowing this up so it sounds good, places like Milton Keynes that I have seen rise over a matter of 20yrs, all new all shining, only to meet peeps saying they wish terrace housing could be like it is in London, when exactly was mass terrace housing built in London.

I have lived elsewhere, seen other places, talked to other peeps not from around here, I just think we need to move forward in our thinking and this is part of the reason peeps going to the USA feel homesick, its their memories which are made into something the UK isn't, a little tiny point, the moving walkway at Gatwick broke down before we went on our hols, it still was broken two weeks later, 9 weeks after that my sister flew out on her hols, still not fixed, and no sign of any effort, a small thing admitted but come on.

Newport-Pagnell, Bletchley, Watford, just have a good look and tell me what you see, and what you think you see

I don't think moving to the US will cure the backward thinking, those folks are everywhere.
Maybe you'd prefer you children educated in schools where the majority of the parents (religious born again holier than thou kinds) want the kids not to be taught about science, but about God and how anything they question is cause God made it so. :blink:
Now that is backward thinking.
One of the first things that I did find odd moving to the US (were talking in the 80's now) was that the electronics etc back then were way behind europe. I had been taught the US was the forefront of everything, that was a load.
When I visit the UK it still seems more modern in many ways, people actually modernize the homes in UK, keep up with new things and modern technology. Maybe it's just northern California, but here they buy a new home and never do more than put paint on the walls. I don't see anyone putting in new efficient water heaters they replace the old one when it breaks with another archaic 40 or 50 gal monster for the garage. I have a friend with a 25 year old dishwasher, it's useless, and others with kitchen cupboards from the 50's (butt ugly) even they don't like them, but they work eve though they have the means to modernize they don't. I find it strange.

Sally Redux Aug 16th 2009 7:52 pm

Mummy,

Us discussing whether we think Britain is 'not as good as it used to be' is ultimately pointless.

People who live there who want to get out will only see the down side.

Some people who left will appreciate some of the good things and wish they had them back.

Some people who left will wish to trash the place to make themselves feel vindicated.

Some people who left will try to maintain a balanced view about the 'good' and 'bad' things that have happened to the country.

Jerseygirl Aug 16th 2009 7:53 pm

Mummy,

You're just gonna love Florida.

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 16th 2009 7:56 pm

Mummy,

I don't understand. What does it matter if Cornwall is old. Isn't that part of the beauty of it. Why change it, there are enough modernized ugly looking places in the world. It's what makes it unique. Britain is old, no-one disagrees....so what would you prefer all the old looking building torn down and rebuilt again??

As for complaining about things not being fixed, maybe the moving stairs at Gatwick are waiting for a part. Maybe that part is made in some far off land .......

Sally Redux Aug 16th 2009 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 7848558)
I don't understand. What does it matter if Cornwall is old. Isn't that part of the beauty of it. Why change it, there are enough modernized ugly looking places in the world. It's what makes it unique. Britain is old, no-one disagrees....so what would you prefer all the old looking building torn down and rebuilt again??

I found that quite bizarre. Like, lets tear down all those rubbish Georgian terraces in Bath and put up some world-beating Wimpey Homes :confused:

Elvira Aug 16th 2009 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 7848459)
So Elvira, when did you vote for someone for the position of Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary, Home Secretary, or any other member of the cabinet, come to that?

That wasn't my point. The UK parliamentary system allows for members of the House of Lords to be brought into the Government.

However, in the UK, all but a tiny minority of members of the Government are elected Members of Parliament/House of Commons. This does not apply to the US, where (AFAIK) the President is free to appoint whoever he chooses, subject to ratification by the Senate.

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

Elvira Aug 16th 2009 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7848548)
Us discussing whether we think Britain is 'not as good as it used to be' is ultimately pointless.

People who live there who want to get out will only see the down side.

Some people who left will appreciate some of the good things and wish they had them back.

Some people who left will wish to trash the place to make themselves feel vindicated.

Some people who left will try to maintain a balanced view about the 'good' and 'bad' things that have happened to the country.

So, so very true.

Broken walkways at LGW............ versus the state of California freeways - which would you choose, Sall? :lol:

Sally Redux Aug 16th 2009 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7848581)
So, so very true.

Broken walkways at LGW............ versus the state of California freeways - which would you choose, Sall? :lol:

That's the first thing I thought when I read his post :rofl: