Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Kaylarene92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

Really needing this question answered. I am a British by decent and lived most of my life in England until end of 2007 as my father had a business there. We moved to the US to save his business but failed then ended up staying there. Years have passed and I have a 2 year old son and I have decided to move back with him. I started filling out form MN1 but I believe that since I am Brit by decent he might not be eligible? My father was born in Southampton and served in the military(before I was born), am I wrong? What are my options?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 11:58 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

Was your father serving in the British military when you were born overseas? Which country were you born in?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

If you lived in Britain for a period of three continuous years before your child was born then you are able to pass on British citizenship to your child. Periods of overseas travel of upto 90 days each year are permitted within the three years.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you lived in Britain for a period of three continuous years before your child was born then you are able to pass on British citizenship to your child. Periods of overseas travel of upto 90 days each year are permitted within the three years.
That's where it gets tricky, I've moved off and on, but does that 3 years have to be right before leasing to his birth?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Was your father serving in the British military when you were born overseas? Which country were you born in?
No and I was born in Florida
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski mentioned, in order to register your son as a British citizen using Form MN1, you need to provide evidence to demonstrate that you lived for three continuous years in the UK at any time before your son was born. This would give your son British citizenship by descent and he would not be able to pass on his British citizenship to any of his own children born overseas unless the other parent is British otherwise than by descent. This would be registration under Section 3(2).

Alternatively you can apply for a settlement visa for your son. This would give him Indefinite Leave to Enter (permanent residence). After three years of living together in the UK you can then apply to register him using Form MN1. This would give your son British citizenship otherwise than by descent allowing him to pass his British citizenship to any of his children born overseas. This would be registration under Section 3(5).
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaylarene92
That's where it gets tricky, I've moved off and on, but does that 3 years have to be right before leasing to his birth?
No, at any time prior to the birth. .... For example, you can prove you were at school in the UK, during any period of your school career, for three continuous years (not even three calandar years), you can pass on British citizenship "by descent", as BritInParis said.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2016 at 3:52 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, at any time prior to the birth. .... For example, you can prove you were at school in the UK, during any period of your school career, for three continuous years (not even three calandar years), you can pass on British citizenship "other than by descent", as BritInParis said.
Then I am okay then I've been there for about 10 years of my life at least. But how is that other than by decent? I have already filled out MN1 I just want to be sure before I spend £936 he will definitely get in
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:52 pm

Then I am okay then I've been there for about 10 years of my life at least. But how is that other than by decent? I have already filled out MN1 I just want to be sure before I spend £936 he will definitely get in
My mistake, a typo. Error now corrected.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:12 pm

If you choose to proceed with Form MN1 now just be mindful that once your son becomes a British citizen by descent then that status is fixed. Going down the settlement visa route first is more expensive in the short term but it is much more advantageous in the long term. You will also need to provide evidence that you spent three continuous years in the UK before your son was born in order to be eligible to apply.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you choose to proceed with Form MN1 now just be mindful that once your son becomes a British citizen by descent then that status is fixed. Going down the settlement visa route first is more expensive in the short term but it is much more advantageous in the long term. You will also need to provide evidence that you spent three continuous years in the UK before your son was born in order to be eligible to apply.
All very well, but the OP apparently became British merely by being decent. Surely other rules apply here?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
All very well, but the OP apparently became British merely by being decent. Surely other rules apply here?
Very witty
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

If I do the visa settlement route doesn't that mean he has to live in the U.K. For some time before he gets that? I am trying to move back indefinitely and remove my citizenship from America once I have settled back there. And also applying for the MN1 should I attach a letter explaining why I want him to attain citizenship and the circumstances?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:24 pm

If I do the visa settlement route doesn't that mean he has to live in the U.K. For some time before he gets that? I am trying to move back indefinitely and remove my citizenship from America once I have settled back there. And also applying for the MN1 should I attach a letter explaining why I want him to attain citizenship and the circumstances?
If you wait to register him a British citizen until after you have settled (I am sure BiP can provide the details; I don't remember) your son with be British other than by descent.

You should seriously consider whether it is wise to give up your US citizenship, assuming that is what you mean by "remove my citizenship from America" because if your son later decides to go back to America, you may find it difficult, expensive, or even impossible to get a visa to live there again.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2016 at 7:27 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 11:44 pm

Yes; three years. Other than the extra cost there is no practical disadvantage to doing it this way and would give your son the benefit of British citizenship otherwise than by descent.

Renouncing your US citizenship is a separate decision but would make it extremely difficult for you to ever return to the United States. It's not recommendable under most circumstances.

You don't need to write a letter to accompany Form MN1. Your son will either qualify or not depending on the evidence you present.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but you will need his father's permission to remove your son from the US to the UK even if you are no longer together and you have sole custody.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.