Reload this Page >

Brit citizen married to Canadian citizen looking to move back to UK

Brit citizen married to Canadian citizen looking to move back to UK

Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit citizen married to Canadian citizen looking to move back to UK

Hey all,

I am a Brit and my wife Canadian, we have been married for nearly 4 years and living in Canada since (me with PR Card). We are thinking of going to live in the UK for a year or two (so my wife can experience living in my home country) and wanted some advice.

Does anyone have experience of doing something similar and what would they recommend? My family are all in the UK so we would go and live with them and I guess I can get a job straightaway (once I find one). My wife would like to work too. There seem to be lots of via routes but not sure which one to pursue. Advice?

Also, is there a place that can provide free legal advice on a route?
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit citizen married to Canadian citizen looking to move back to UK

Look at the following visas to see if your wife can qualify for either of them:

Ancestry Visa

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

Tier 5 Mobility visa

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

The above are reasonably inexpensive to obtain and give you a few years in the UK if that is all you want.

OR, YOU, as the British spouse could sponsor your wife for a settlement visa. This is usually taken out by folks who wish to live in the UK permanently. It's expensive to get and there are many criteria to fill:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

OR If your wife has European ancestry and could get a European passport you might be eligible for an EEA Family permit

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

Happy reading .......
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj322
Hey all,

I am a Brit and my wife Canadian, we have been married for nearly 4 years and living in Canada since (me with PR Card). We are thinking of going to live in the UK for a year or two (so my wife can experience living in my home country) and wanted some advice.
The OP should consider getting his Canadian citizenship before leaving Canada for the UK. Having Canadian citizenship means that the OP can return to Canada at anytime if things don't work out in the UK.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
The OP should consider getting his Canadian citizenship before leaving Canada for the UK. Having Canadian citizenship means that the OP can return to Canada at anytime if things don't work out in the UK.
Not strictly necessary since he will be accompanying his Canadian wife while in the UK. The time will count for PR and citizenship residency requirements.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not strictly necessary since he will be accompanying his Canadian wife while in the UK. The time will count for PR and citizenship residency requirements.
It won't count for citizenship physical presence requirements except in very specific circumstances which I don't think apply here. Given that the OP says he's lived in Canada for nearly 4 years, he should consider applying for citizenship when eligible.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 26th 2016 at 5:36 am.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 8:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
It won't count for citizenship physical presence requirements except in very specific circumstances which I don't think apply here. Given that the OP says he's lived in Canada for nearly 4 years, he should consider applying for citizenship when eligible.
Thanks for the clarification and indeed if he is already qualified and can afford to wait a year or so before going to the UK, then fine. I said it's not strictly necessary in his circumstances and it's not.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Look at the following visas to see if your wife can qualify for either of them:

Ancestry Visa

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

Tier 5 Mobility visa

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

The above are reasonably inexpensive to obtain and give you a few years in the UK if that is all you want.

OR, YOU, as the British spouse could sponsor your wife for a settlement visa. This is usually taken out by folks who wish to live in the UK permanently. It's expensive to get and there are many criteria to fill:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

OR If your wife has European ancestry and could get a European passport you might be eligible for an EEA Family permit

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

Happy reading .......
Thanks for the tip. The only viable route for us is the sponsorship option. But I thought there was a visa where she can come to the uk for a two, five or 10 year period. I think it's called the indefinite leave visa or something?
Old Nov 26th 2016, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj322
Thanks for the tip. The only viable route for us is the sponsorship option. But I thought there was a visa where she can come to the uk for a two, five or 10 year period. I think it's called the indefinite leave visa or something?
No.... you can only apply for Indefinite leave to remain after living in the UK for 5 years under a visa option.