Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing EU spouse back after Brexit and practicalities of returning

Bringing EU spouse back after Brexit and practicalities of returning

Old Nov 11th 2020, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough
Default Bringing EU spouse back after Brexit and practicalities of returning

We're planning on returning to the UK maybe next year or close after as I read that my husband who is an EU citizen will be able to return with me until March 2020 without a visa during a grace period after Brexit. I just wanted to make sure that I've got that correct? Will passport control ask him questions when he returns? Obviously I best check on the gov website to make sure

Also, how will it work with us finding a place to rent? Will we need work references? I'm guessing if we rent privately we'd just need a deposit. We're both self employed and I imagine one of us would need to return to look at properties and act quickly as they come up. I just want to be as prepared as possible because I'm not sure how much we will have to get back.

Would love to hear your stories about how you moved back. Thank you!
Old Nov 11th 2020, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing EU spouse back after Brexit and practicalities of returning

Wherever you end up, in order to rent you will need documentation so that the owner will have confidence you can pay the rent.
So yes, work references might be needed, proof of income, and in most cases hefty deposits.
Utility companies, usually ask for deposits also when you first sign up.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing EU spouse back after Brexit and practicalities of returning

When we moved back in 2016 we had to come up with 6 months rent ahead of time since, although we had a UK bank, we had no credit history. I could prove income with my US pension statements and money going regularly into the bank but the agency renting out the house we really wanted insisted on a credit check
Old Nov 12th 2020, 10:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
When we moved back in 2016 we had to come up with 6 months rent ahead of time since, although we had a UK bank, we had no credit history. I could prove income with my US pension statements and money going regularly into the bank but the agency renting out the house we really wanted insisted on a credit check
We had exactly the same, 6 months rent in advance..
Old Nov 14th 2020, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by durham_lad
ok that's not too bad, we have enough saved up luckily. Think the hardest part will be finding a place to rent before the Brexit grace period ends.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 12:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The deadline is 29 March 2022 and your husband will need to apply for a permit before you travel.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-...ritish-citizen
Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mica painter
ok that's not too bad, we have enough saved up luckily. Think the hardest part will be finding a place to rent before the Brexit grace period ends.
We just had to pay the first two months rent up front, we brought household bills etc with us and a statement from our current bank account. Can you not stay with family or friends until you find a job as that would be an excellent reference and you might not have to out such a high deposit down on the rental. Good luck with your move and hope all goes well.