Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing dog into UK from US----need help!

Bringing dog into UK from US----need help!

Old Sep 13th 2008, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

FabJak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing dog into UK from US----need help!

Hi all

I'm in the process of moving back to the UK from the US and am bringing my dog with me. I'd really like to hear from anyone that has done this as I am getting conflicting information from DEFRA and USDA on whether or not an accredited vet needs to be used for the entire process. On the DEFRA website they list all the procedures which I have been following. So far I've had my dog microchipped, then vaccinated against rabies and then my vet took blood and sent this off to the recognized lab in Kansas where we received a successful result.

I am now 4 months into the 6 month wait period but have seen a lot of information that states the vet that took the blood should be a USDA accredited vet. I called the USDA who confirmed this, however, my vet states that its not the case and that any licensed vet can take the blood as long as they a) send it to the recognized lab and b) that they have an accredited vet review, stamp, and authorize the health certificate. This is also how it is stated on the procedures on the DEFRA website.

I guess my question is, has anyone managed to successfully ship their dog to the UK by using a regular vet and having an accredited vet approve the certificate? or has anyone had their dog taken into quarantine because the vet that took the blood, etc., wasn't accredited?

I am going to call DEFRA again on Monday to ask their advise and tell them that the USDA are giving conflicting information, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has already gone through this process successfully, in particular, without using an accredited vet.

Thanks so much....
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:43 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bringing dog into UK from US----need help!

You want to be conforming to DEFRA rules and regs - they're the ones who will decide if you can bring your dog into the country.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
You want to be conforming to DEFRA rules and regs - they're the ones who will decide if you can bring your dog into the country.
I sure hope so as they're the procedures I'm following it's just that the US Dept of Agriculture (USDA) are so adament that I need to use a USDA accredited vet and I know I need their approval, if nothing else.

I will call DEFRA again on Monday but was hoping there was someone out there that's already been through it and knows for certain.....It's soooo confusing.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:25 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FabJak
I sure hope so as they're the procedures I'm following it's just that the US Dept of Agriculture (USDA) are so adament that I need to use a USDA accredited vet and I know I need their approval, if nothing else.

I will call DEFRA again on Monday but was hoping there was someone out there that's already been through it and knows for certain.....It's soooo confusing.
Have a read of this thread here - you will probably find many more posts on this forum to do with bringing pets back to the UK but this one seems fairly well-detailed.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this thread here - you will probably find many more posts on this forum to do with bringing pets back to the UK but this one seems fairly well-detailed.
There is also a section in the Wiki re bringing dogs back to the UK.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:39 pm
Former Blonde

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is also a section in the Wiki re bringing dogs back to the UK.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Should've guessed it'd be covered in the Wiki! Nice one JG!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:22 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi their are lots of threads on this..............your vet is right in what he says......You only need the accredited vet to sign and stamp your certificate once he is satisfied its all in order.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Wow....Thanks so much. You're right, there is a ton of information here and just what I was looking for. Seems like I am on the right path afterall but am not the only one that was confused!!! I'll still call DEFRA Monday to confirm but I feel so much better now, thanks all.

Sharon
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FabJak
Wow....Thanks so much. You're right, there is a ton of information here and just what I was looking for. Seems like I am on the right path afterall but am not the only one that was confused!!! I'll still call DEFRA Monday to confirm but I feel so much better now, thanks all.

Sharon
You're fine...............as long as you get the certificate endorsed by the USDA Vet and all the bloodwork and tests done to get the certificate were done by a USDA Certified Vet (Please note the two are NOT THE SAME THING)

A word of advice...............DO NOT take it for granted that your personal Vet in the States will know what he or she is doing............in fact...........go with the assumption that they will try their best to screw it up. Now the USDA Vet will know what he or she is doing, because they deal with it as a matter of routine.............but your personal Vet is going to be lost........and don't let them tell you they have done it before and know what they are doing.

Follow the steps laid out in the Wiki section and you should be ok.

Thanks Jerseygirl for linking to them......It makes it easier for me not to go hunting for them when people ask.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your vet is right - hubby is a vet (licensed in UK and US). He says as far as he knows any licensed US vet can take the blood, but it must go to an accredited lab.

He hasn't actually had to do this before though.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

We have just brought our dogs back from the US, your vet just has to be a licensed vet, the State vet is the one who is USDA accredited and they will check over all the paperwork and stamp each sheet to show they are all correct and the pets can travel.