Brave or foolish?

Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:54 am
Just Joined

George Lost is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Brave or foolish?

Well. I have been a member of this outfit for about 3 hours now, most of that time spent reading some very interesting points of view, opinions and topics.

Now... am I being brave or foolish?

I am a professional with good qualifications and good work experience. I have been in Canada now for 34 years, and have never once been back to the old country, even though I have been on holiday to Greece, Spain and France occasionally!

I have recently become very disheartened and disillusioned with the way things are going in Canada. Politically, I fear that the Federal Government and its offices are demonstrating a pure lack of courage and ethical honesty (is that, by the way, an oxymoron in the context of Government?) in their ability to bow low and not say "boo" to the mighty American neighbour. I now have been told that my legal Landed Immigration paper issued in 1970 is not worth the paper its printed on, and have to get a Permanent Resident Card - with all the information on it that they wish to put there. Shades of Orwell. And I am pretty sure that this is being done because of extreme pressure form the US of A.
Career-wise, things are bleak. Seems to me that its more a case of who you know rather than what you know now. Now, that has always been the general thing, right? I mean, it's part of networking... but things are getting pretty bad here now... people being put into jobs that for which are not really qualified, because they happen to know the right person or are of the right ethnic minority. This has had a drastic effect on the type of employye that you now find at most Government levels.... mostly they are ignorant and self-serving. Pretty disgruntled, aren't I? lol
I have tried... honestly tried to live here. I have been here for 33 years now. But I am unhappy. I generally find that people here are shallow and ignorant and selfish. And I know that that sort of statement is a generalization... sorry... but it's the way I feel after 33 years. And the PC is driving me mad...
So, here I am... 59 years old, with good qualifications and experience in a very specialized field (Master's, Bachelor's and Diplomas - lol), with about £4000 in the old chequing account and somewhat more than that in savings. And I have seriously been considering going back to the old country. Well... actually, I have even set a date for the return, and it's about three weeks from now. So, the "considering" part is well over.
I know it's going to be a culture shock for me in the extreme... I know that a great part of this is home-sickness, and part dissatisfaction with Canada and its disappointments for me... I also know that I dreadfully miss the "old-world" culture of England and Europe (something that that megalomaniac Bush seems to like to denigrate!)... I know that it is a substantial risk for me... I know that it means that my pensions will mean nothing (Canada does not have Pension transferablity, unlike the EU)... and I know that it will be scary in many ways... sort of like starting all over again but at the ripe age of 59!!

Having said all that, would all you good people here on this board throw some advice and other sane things my way? Where is it best to live - north, south in the UK? all I'm looking for at the moment is a room in a house, or a bed-sitter until I get back on my feet? Would it be better to use England as a stop-over and head out to the EU somewhere? Am I crazy? Help would be appreciated... any help and advice - even if it's to say I am foolish! lol. Cheers.

Last edited by George Lost; Jan 25th 2004 at 1:57 am.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with you, you are doing the right thing. Can't really advice on the best place to live, it depends on your own preferences, but I am sure, you'll be just fine.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:13 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brave or foolish?

Originally posted by George Lost
Well. I have been a member of this outfit for about 3 hours now, most of that time spent reading some very interesting points of view, opinions and topics.

I am a professional with good qualifications and good work experience. I have been in Canada now for 34 years, and have never once been back to the old country, even though I have been on holiday to Greece, Spain and France occasionally!

I have recently become very disheartened and disillusioned with the way things are going in Canada. Politically, I fear that the Federal Government and its offices are demonstrating a pure lack of courage and ethical honesty (is that, by the way, an oxymoron in the context of Government?) in their ability to bow low and not say "boo" to the mighty American neighbour. I now have been told that my legal Landed Immigration paper issued in 1970 is not worth the paper its printed on, and have to get a Permanent Resident Card - with all the information on it that they wish to put there. Shades of Orwell. And I am pretty sure that this is being done because of extreme pressure form the US of A.
Career-wise, things are bleak. Seems to me that its more a case of who you know rather than what you know now. Now, that has always been the general thing, right? I mean, it's part of networking... but things are getting pretty bad here now... people being put into jobs that for which are not really qualified, because they happen to know the right person or are of the right ethnic minority. This has had a drastic effect on the type of employye that you now find at most Government levels.... mostly they are ignorant and self-serving. Pretty disgruntled, aren't I? lol
I have tried... honestly tried to live here. I have been here for 33 years now. But I am unhappy. I generally find that people here are shallow and ignorant and selfish. And I know that that sort of statement is a generalization... sorry... but it's the way I feel after 33 years. And the PC is driving me mad...
So, here I am... 59 years old, with good qualifications and experience in a very specialized field (Master's, Bachelor's and Diplomas - lol), with about £4000 in the old chequing account and somewhat more than that in savings. And I have seriously been considering going back to the old country. Well... actually, I have even set a date for the return, and it's about three weeks from now. So, the "considering" part is well over.
I know it's going to be a culture shock for me in the extreme... I know that a great part of this is home-sickness, and part dissatisfaction with Canada and its disappointments for me... I also know that I dreadfully miss the "old-world" culture of England and Europe (something that that megalomaniac Bush seems to like to denigrate!)... I know that it is a substantial risk for me... I know that it means that my pensions will mean nothing (Canada does not have Pension transferablity, unlike the EU)... and I know that it will be scary in many ways... sort of like starting all over again but at the ripe age of 59!!

Having said all that, would all you good people here on this board throw some advice and other sane things my way? Where is it best to live - north, south in the UK? all I'm looking for at the moment is a room in a house, or a bed-sitter until I get back on my feet? Would it be better to use England as a stop-over and head out to the EU somewhere? Am I crazy? Help would be appreciated... any help and advice - even if it's to say I am foolish! lol. Cheers.
Well George

I reckon you are halfway there aren't you and you certainly are not foolish. I keep hearing this saying reckon you know it too"you only have one life " so go forth and enjoy.

Where did you live before in the UK? perhaps good place to start and see what your next move is and what you feel like doing or where you wish to be. I think the first step to move from Canada is the biggest. Good for you. It does take guts well done.

I am from gorgeous Surrey but live in Sydney now but am heading back home too this year. Hopefully will find a nice home in Kent as parts of Surrey where I used to live have shot up in prices. Ekkkkk like everywhere I guess. No getting away from it.

All the best to you.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pants
Well George

Where did you live before in the UK?

I am from gorgeous Surrey but live in Sydney now but am heading back home too this year. Hopefully will find a nice home in Kent as parts of Surrey where I used to live have shot up in prices. Ekkkkk like everywhere I guess. No getting away from it.

All the best to you.
Thanks... the words are encouraging. We lived in Mill Hill, and after I finished College my wife and I went to live in Bucks... Chalfont St. Giles... wish we'd kept the house there! bought the damn thing on 4 wooded acres in 1969 for £3,200!! in retrospect we should have rented it out! ah well... you're going to try Kent, then - when you go back? I loved Kent... went to schools in Dover and Margate... sister went to a school in Maidstone!
Cheers, and thanks...
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:36 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks... the words are encouraging. We lived in Mill Hill, and after I finished College my wife and I went to live in Bucks... Chalfont St. Giles... wish we'd kept the house there! bought the damn thing on 4 wooded acres in 1969 for £3,200!! in retrospect we should have rented it out! ah well... you're going to try Kent, then - when you go back? I loved Kent... went to schools in Dover and Margate... sister went to a school in Maidstone!
Cheers, and thanks...
Yes heading home August this year..yippeeee just miss things we take for granted and my main reason is family. Miss that contact with them and my dear friends.
Retrospect is a wonderful thing !!the future holds the adventure so enjoy it.
I lived in Coulsdon and Caterham in Surrey and when we go back we will live initially in Canterbury (with my mum) and then will look around the rest of Kent or even West Sussex. All depends on what we can afford plus travelling times into London ( my Aussie hubby not keen on long journey's..me too ).

How does your wife feel about the return?Big changes ahead. Be positive.
Cheers
P
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:52 am
Merlot

even if it's to say I am foolish! lol. Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum and for being BRAVE!!! Takes a lot to admit when you are not happy with your life and thinking of changing it.

I wish you the very best with your choices, you will know what is right for you. Go with your heart as you are a long time gone from this world.

Best regards
Merlot

Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure! I would say that 34 years is a long time away from the UK, hell, you missed Thatcher and everything!

If I was you I would serioulsy consider going over for a long holiday to get a real good idea how the country shapes up now, before moving lock stock and barrel.

I agree with some of your sentiments about canada, but dont throw the baby out with the bath water. Unfortunately you are of an age where it will be real hard to get a job in the UK. Property prices as you know are way higher than Canada, and your pension income will be in $CND, with the exchange rate taking a chunk out of them too.

Go back to the UK and see if it is the answer to your woes, and if it is not , at least you can come back to Canada, maybe try a different part, Out East is probably more to your political liking, sounds like you are in Alberta whiich is for me the most "American" province politically.

If you dont like the PR card, go for Citizenship (takes about a year if you can stand to wait that long). Probably a good idea anyway if you can, as at least your position in Canada is assured that way if things in the UK are too grim.

Anyway, you are definately brave for considering this after so long away, I take my hat off to you, and wish you the best of luck.

Iain
(Ontario, only 6 years)
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

G' Day Pants, How long have you been in OZ. I have been here for 8 years and am considering a return to the UK?

Originally posted by Pants
Well George

I reckon you are halfway there aren't you and you certainly are not foolish. I keep hearing this saying reckon you know it too"you only have one life " so go forth and enjoy.

Where did you live before in the UK? perhaps good place to start and see what your next move is and what you feel like doing or where you wish to be. I think the first step to move from Canada is the biggest. Good for you. It does take guts well done.

All the best to you.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 5:35 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

If it is move forward and you are prepared for some difficult times there is no reason you shouldn't enjoy the experience, even if it turns out to be a short term one. There are some beautiful places to enjoy and some helpful and happy people who still know the meaning of being good neighbours.

It is very easy to move around the UK as the fancy takes you. There are generally more jobs in the south but the north can have cheaper living costs. The crowded south east can be something of a myth - there are lovely rural areas in Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Surrey etc compared to the nightmare M62 corridor from Liverpool to Leeds (I think something like 20million people live within about 50miles of the M62, ie a third of the UK population). But there are also more national park type areas within an hours drive of Leeds than somewhere like Peterborough.

A word of caution, anti-ageism legislation has not yet come in. My husband was 32, a physics PhD with both industrial and academic experience. He ended up in a £15k job for nearly a year because the job market was in a downturn (in the south east) and he was too old for graduate jobs! But if you are willing to live within your means and take whatever comes along, you should be able to get by.

There are definitely worse places to live so enjoy your experience.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:11 pm
Live the moment

Originally posted by ahappychappy
G' Day Pants, How long have you been in OZ. I have been here for 8 years and am considering a return to the UK?
Hi AHC

Not long here in OZ coming up 2 years but I am heading home. Miss my family and feel that now is not the right time for me here.

8 years is pretty good going isn't it why now are you considering going home? Are you close to Penrith by chance??and if you do go home here are you going back too??eekkk so many questions..

Pants
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by iaink
I'm not sure! I would say that 34 years is a long time away from the UK, hell, you missed Thatcher and everything!

If I was you I would serioulsy consider going over for a long holiday to get a real good idea how the country shapes up now, before moving lock stock and barrel. .....
I agree with Iaink, take a good look at the UK before you make a precipitate move.

I would argue that most of what you mention in your post about Canada is equally true of the UK. Things there may not be a rosy in the UK as you remember.

When you talk about Canada in relation to the USA, compare it to Britain and the European Onion. ...... Except that Canada is not beholden to the USA by numerous, and purportedly inviolable, treaties, nor does Canada pour billions of dollars into the US federal bureaucracy, nor does Canada have to follow US Federal laws which it didn't want and that don't make any sense for the Canadian people or Canadian economy.

Also, be aware that there is no law against age descrimination in the UK and people as young as in their forties can often find it very difficult to even get accepted for an interview. At your age you may find yourself already deemed to be on the scrap heap.

I hope that you find what you are looking for, but I am not sure that the UK in 2004 is it.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:22 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Why not go and visit good ol' England for a few weeks before making any drastic decesion. Avoid London please, better fly through other decent cities.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by Pulaski
Also, be aware that there is no law against age descrimination in the UK and people as young as in their forties can often find it very difficult to even get accepted for an interview.
And even if there were, they are virtually impossible to enforce.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Cant say I looked a great deal at jobs in the UK as we intend to employ ourselves apart from maybe a short stint initially. However I did notice that Police force, nursing even bus drivers all seemed to be advertising for candidates right up to 55.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice and help thrown my way by all....
Yes. Being 59 years old doesn't help, does it? Sort of like being already relegated to the slag heap, as someone pointed out on another thread. Worrying, too... I didn't know that England didn't have anti-age legislation. hmmmm...
However, the field I am in is very specialized, and having looked over the last month at all the job boards in the UK, as well as Company/Municipal boards, and head-hunter consulting company's boards, there seems to be a wealth of positions being offered in my field. Maybe it's because the EU require the UK to have certain data to be developed by a certain date... I don't know... but it seems that the field I am in has a real personnel shortage in England right now.
I am not going to worry about the age thing too much, after all a professional is a professional... and if the worst comes to the worst I should be able to get some sort of job that will see me through and give me enough to live on, and fall back on piano teaching and build up a clientele in that!
Yes, I was feeling a bit down the day I made the original post, and I apologize for the generalizations I laid on Canadians and our neighbours to the south. I have many Canadian friends, and have visited the US on numerous occasions... all very nice and friendly people... I guess I was transferring my disgust with politicians and beaurocrats on to ordinary joe's... painting them all with the same brush..
Here's another problem for me, people. I will be arriving in London blind. Over the years (33 years since I left England) I have lost touch with the two cousins I had known in childhood, and goodness knows whether any of the aunts/uncles are still living... so I go there knowing absolutely no-one. I was thinking of sending an email to the Anglican Church in Bexley, Kent - as it is there that I think I would like to start - and asking the Vicar if any of his congregation could possibly put me up for two or three nights until I find something for myself. I thought this would be better than staying in some lousy and expensive motel... and it would also provide some sort of temporary support group for me! What do you good people think about this? Good idea or not? any other or alternative suggestions?
By the way, is there an ExPat club that I can contact in London somewhere when I arrive?
Ummmm... getting nervous here... fight back is booked now for the 19th February (thank goodness for my nephew in CA... he is a pilot for United and got me a free!! ticket with BA!). It's a big move... but as someone said in this thread, I'll put my best foot forward and stay positive. 33 years away from England... gads, that's a long time... 1/3 of a century.. going to be a huge culture shock.. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.