Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Born in UK, never lived in UK

Born in UK, never lived in UK

Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in UK, never lived in UK

Benefits are restricted if you are a new arrival in the country. Check out "Habitual Residency Test",

https://www.housing-rights.info/habi...dence-test.php
Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Twaddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Benefits are restricted if you are a new arrival in the country. Check out "Habitual Residency Test",

https://www.housing-rights.info/habi...dence-test.php
Yeah, looks like I'll just have to manage on my own for the first few months before I even begin to think about asking for help.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 8:24 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twaddle
Thanks for the suggestion Shard, that's not a half-bad idea actually. Working in a hotel, for the time being, is the best option I've had this whole time. As for my family... No, they are not interested in helping at all. They live their own life and I live my own. I'm not complaining. Many other people have it worse than me and still manage. I would just like to gather as much information as possible before moving out.
Well if I won't get housing how about help with rent? I've read online that half my rent can be paid by the government, it's another form of benefits, I think? Did I get something wrong?

So christmasoompa I have a profession as a welder. To be fair, I am not really interested in this profession. I was forced by my dad to go study it for 3 years. Maybe I should study while I am still young in the U.K? I am not sure what would be the best option for me.
P.S: If my English is bad I am sorry, I never really studied it in school, everything I know I picked up from my dad.
Help with rent is called 'housing benefit'. Look up the website Citizens Advice .org and you will find plenty of advice in living in the UK.

You're written English is excellent. I wouldn't guess that you were non-native. Studying is a good idea, definitely, but first you need to solve your income and accommodation. You won't be able to survive easily on government money (benefits) and you shouldn't. Decide where in the country you prefer to 'start' and start looking for work there. Wherever you start you can always move in several months time. Welding might be a great way into first employment in the UK, look into that, even if you don't want to do it your whole life.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, mate Honestly, I would like to live in some "quiet" town. I am not a fan of big cities. I have been browsing for jobs and came across a few jobs in hotels with housing. Not the best pay but hey, for starting out it's good enough for me.
For your information, I was never planning to live off benefits alone. I just think that for starting out it would be nice to have some help. Obviously I want to work and help out the economy.
Is Manchester a good place to start? I was born in Rochdale which is close. My dad left that town because- and I quote "too much crime". Is this true?
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:07 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot, mate Honestly, I would like to live in some "quiet" town. I am not a fan of big cities. I have been browsing for jobs and came across a few jobs in hotels with housing. Not the best pay but hey, for starting out it's good enough for me.
For your information, I was never planning to live off benefits alone. I just think that for starting out it would be nice to have some help. Obviously I want to work and help out the economy.
Is Manchester a good place to start? I was born in Rochdale which is close. My dad left that town because- and I quote "too much crime". Is this true?
I don't know it well, but I would say it's a great place to start. Vibrant smaller city. There is crime in all the cities, and on lower wages you don't end up in the best areas. You could also look at smaller 'market towns' in the NW NE or even Scotland (which is keen on immigration). If your family is in the Manchester area, maybe it's a chance to reconnect.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Rochdale isn’t great - Manchester would be a better place to start.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:14 am
Yo

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Rochdale isn’t great - Manchester would be a better place to start.
Good to know. I meant Manchester BTW, no idea about Rochdale other than Lisa Stansfield comes from there.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 12:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

@Twaddle: Think about turning your language edge into a job. Your written English is excellent, I presume after 18 years there your Ukranian is perfect too. Do you have other languages, e.g. Russian?

Good luck to you.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 12:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You could also consider working at hotels (especially rural) as they often offer accommodation as part of the employment. Many Europeans do that, and many are leaving now because of Brexit.
+1. Another option, and the reason I asked what you do, is to look at something like a Workaway stint. You've obviously got practical skills so would have something to offer in exchange for board and lodging. You wouldn't usually get paid though, so will need some funds, but it could be a good starting point whilst you look for a job.

Good luck.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you Novocastrian, you are correct! I know Ukrainian and Russian. As a matter of fact, I am using the languages I know to my benefit. I'm working in an office where I write English advertisements for Russian speaking people. The pay in comparison to the rest of the EU is quite awful. What if I were to study as a translator in the U.K? That's a pretty solid idea.
Hey, christmasoompa! I've got another question regarding the embassy here in Kyiv. Do they have the ability to help me find lost relatives? As I said earlier I still have family on my mother's side but there has never been any contact.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, christmasoompa! I've got another question regarding the embassy here in Kyiv. Do they have the ability to help me find lost relatives? As I said earlier I still have family on my mother's side but there has never been any contact.
No, an embassy can't do that for you. You'd either need to try and trace them yourself using the usual methods (electoral roll, Facebook etc), or pay a finding service.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:44 am
Yo

Thank you Novocastrian, you are correct! I know Ukrainian and Russian. As a matter of fact, I am using the languages I know to my benefit. I'm working in an office where I write English advertisements for Russian speaking people. The pay in comparison to the rest of the EU is quite awful. What if I were to study as a translator in the U.K? That's a pretty solid idea.
There are recruitment agencies in London that specialize in placing people with language skills. Definitely worth finding some of those online and sending them your CV, especially as you already have office experience. As Novo noticed, Russian is likely to make you very marketable.