Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Boom, boom, boom......another one bites the dust!

Boom, boom, boom......another one bites the dust!

Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Boom, boom, boom......another one bites the dust!

Have just heard that the English family who bought our house from us in June 2006 have had enough of New Zealand. They have put the house on the market and want to return to the UK as soon as possible.

The reasons they gave friends of ours:

1. Everything so expensive, from electricity bills to food.
2. Very poor service.
3. The "Lets rip off people" attitude displayed by many Kywy's
4. Poor education.
5. Racism.
6. The "We are the best at everything" attitude.

I could go on but think that we all know the rest.

At present NZ is making $2 Billion per year out of migration. Just ask yourself who buy all the top end houses, cars, boats, eat out regularly etc etc. The NZ government must rub their hand together think of all the money they make from us poor misguided idiots! LOL

Burt
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:56 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boom, boom, boom......another one bites the dust!

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Have just heard that the English family who bought our house from us in June 2006 have had enough of New Zealand. They have put the house on the market and want to return to the UK as soon as possible.

2. Very poor service.
4. Poor education.
5. Racism.

At present NZ is making $2 Billion per year out of migration. Just ask yourself who buy all the top end houses, cars, boats, eat out regularly etc etc. The NZ government must rub their hand together think of all the money they make from us poor misguided idiots! LOL

Burt

Wonder if there's a competition going on between Oz and NZ governments as to who can fleece us the most
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

2. Very poor service.
4. Poor education.
5. Racism.

Burt
It cost us about £1000 in govt/immigration fees to move to NZ. Not bad for a new life methinks. My brother paid £12000 in stamp duty for moving from London to Devon. Plus land registry fees etc...who's fleecing who then in the UK?? The Uk does not suffer from racism?? To live in the Uk is cheap? We felt like we were totally and wholly ripped off by every bugger over there!!! The education system in the UK is better than this one? The service in the UK is better than over here? I think they are going to find things much the same back home as their list up there..if they are returning to the same UK I left 2 years ago!!

If they had said crap driving, poorly built, overpriced, cold houses, poor wages, lack of history/culture/ museums etc, proximity to europe, rubbish management and missing family and friends I could understand..but their list really does sound like the UK!!

Horses for courses innit?? Been ripped off here and there in NZ..but where there are humans there will be greed. What country has no racism problem? Education is permanently being rubbished everywhere. Can't be too bad over here...kiwis are not noted for being thickies. Service varies..only place you seem to get consistent good service is the US. Suffered as much rubbish service here as in the UK. As far as everything being so expensive we find we are better off even though we earn way less than half of what we did in the UK. The standard of our lives here is way higher than we could ever have gotten in the UK..expense is all relative to your frame of reference and how you live. As far as the last comment goes why would that piss you off? they did have a run of beating most of their opponents in matters sporting of late..except the loss just now to the Ozzies at cricket aye????
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
It cost us about £1000 in govt/immigration fees to move to NZ. Not bad for a new life methinks. My brother paid £12000 in stamp duty for moving from London to Devon. Plus land registry fees etc...who's fleecing who then in the UK?? The Uk does not suffer from racism?? To live in the Uk is cheap? We felt like we were totally and wholly ripped off by every bugger over there!!! The education system in the UK is better than this one? The service in the UK is better than over here? I think they are going to find things much the same back home as their list up there..if they are returning to the same UK I left 2 years ago!!

If they had said crap driving, poorly built, overpriced, cold houses, poor wages, lack of history/culture/ museums etc, proximity to europe, rubbish management and missing family and friends I could understand..but their list really does sound like the UK!!

Horses for courses innit?? Been ripped off here and there in NZ..but where there are humans there will be greed. What country has no racism problem? Education is permanently being rubbished everywhere. Can't be too bad over here...kiwis are not noted for being thickies. Service varies..only place you seem to get consistent good service is the US. Suffered as much rubbish service here as in the UK. As far as everything being so expensive we find we are better off even though we earn way less than half of what we did in the UK. The standard of our lives here is way higher than we could ever have gotten in the UK..expense is all relative to your frame of reference and how you live. As far as the last comment goes why would that piss you off? they did have a run of beating most of their opponents in matters sporting of late..except the loss just now to the Ozzies at cricket aye????

zzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzz

yet you feel the need the scour the mbthuk forum.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:04 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the last comment goes why would that piss you off? they did have a run of beating most of their opponents in matters sporting of late..except the loss just now to the Ozzies at cricket aye????
To be honest when I was in Oz it really wore me down all this Aussies are the best in the world attitude. Before we went there we'd heard about it and thought it rather endearing But after a while it just gets beyond a joke. It's so childishm, immature and just plain silly. It isn't just sport. It's everything. Work, manufacturing, quality of goods, the place, the people, education, facilities, weather :curse:

Personally I'm glad to be amongst normal humble people again who don't think they are God's gift at everything.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thunderbird65

Opps, sorry, didn't know because I am happy here I am not allowed to reply on this forum. It won't happen again!!! Get a life pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:44 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
To be honest when I was in Oz it really wore me down all this Aussies are the best in the world attitude. Before we went there we'd heard about it and thought it rather endearing But after a while it just gets beyond a joke. It's so childishm, immature and just plain silly. It isn't just sport. It's everything. Work, manufacturing, quality of goods, the place, the people, education, facilities, weather :curse:

Personally I'm glad to be amongst normal humble people again who don't think they are God's gift at everything.

I totally agree with you Louise. It becomes very tiresome. I put it down to a touch of "small man syndrome" What talents they do have, they feel the need to blow it up out of all proportion.
Australia also reminds me of a rebellious teenage child. Self centred and not sure of their place in the world, leading to a lot of bravado and blow arsing.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

2. Very poor service.
4. Poor education.
5. Racism.

I would like to briefly comment on #5. Racism.
Unlike most people on this forum, I am not British, and I am not so-called
white (Spanish/Native American). Before coming to NZ, I did not live in
place where *open* racism and prejudice was often expressed. What an
unpleasant surprise this little adventure has been for me. I know there
is prejudice everywhere, but here it is common and commonly openly
expressed, in casual conversation and in the media. Just read a few
letters in the print and online versions of the papers to see what I mean.
Beyond everything else, I speak with an American accent, so for me
it's been double dose of unfriendliness from many (not all) Kiwis I meet.
So much for an open and tolerant society.

Burt
I think *recent* immigrants from the UK must eat out regularly.
With the cost of living, low wages, etc. that does not last long, especially
when you take into account saving to move back home!
I'd rather save my money anyway to eat out when I go back home.
Food is way better, and there is much more of a variety of cuisines.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I totally agree with you Louise. It becomes very tiresome. I put it down to a touch of "small man syndrome" What talents they do have, they feel the need to blow it up out of all proportion.
Australia also reminds me of a rebellious teenage child. Self centred and not sure of their place in the world, leading to a lot of bravado and blow arsing.
Very good analogy, and very true.
It's even worse here in NZ, where they feel overshadowed by the
Australians. And like teenagers, they feel they know it all, and have
figured it all out, when in fact they have so much to learn from the
outside world.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:30 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Weezer and i am a kiwi a well travelled one, who sees himself as a global villager instead of a parochial numbnut.

I am married to an English woman. I was embarrassed when i took her back to see my country.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I agree with you Weezer and i am a kiwi a well travelled one, who sees himself as a global villager instead of a parochial numbnut.

I am married to an English woman. I was embarrassed when i took her back to see my country.
I'm not at all surprised you're a NZer. Before I cam here, one of my best
friends was a NZer, and my mate's a NZer, so I know such attitudes are
not at all universal to you lot.
I was a bit heartened the other day reading online letters to the NZ Herald
over the shooting rampage in Viriginia. Some of the more rational
letters were from NZers living in the US.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Education is poorer FACT.

Call any UK university and ask if a basic diploma will allow kids into uni and I think you will find the answer to be no.

I am in the US but think the education is the same.

Here in the USA a basic nurses training would not be accepted in the UK nor teaching qualifications.

I am a qualified foundation stage teacher in the Uk and was shocked to find facilities here for me 3 year old about 8 years behind that of the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Education is poorer FACT.

Call any UK university and ask if a basic diploma will allow kids into uni and I think you will find the answer to be no.

I am in the US but think the education is the same.

Here in the USA a basic nurses training would not be accepted in the UK nor teaching qualifications.

I am a qualified foundation stage teacher in the Uk and was shocked to find facilities here for me 3 year old about 8 years behind that of the UK.
Then I have a friend with 25 years experience of UK teaching and he's over here now and he thinks the opposite to you, he travels all over the lower north island visiting scores of schools...hes very, very impressed. He said his school was full of Vikki Pollards..he hasn't met one over here!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said, someone somewhere will always have a pop at education no matter what country we are talking about. At the end of the day we all have choices about where we choose to educate our kids. I for one would prefer to do it here than in the UK.

My mother and sister have about 60 years of experience of teaching in the UK and neither of them have recently expounded about the virtues of the UK system..maybe they did prior to the arrival of OFSTED, but not since. They both covered junior and senior schools.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:45 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thunderbird65

Seemed like a reasonable and balanced post to me to be honest
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny I thought we paid stamp duty on houses here too.... and cars. Estate agents charge far more than the UK too. But what do I know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.