Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bizarre "Get out of work" excuses!

Bizarre "Get out of work" excuses!

Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:44 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bizarre "Get out of work" excuses!

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Ahh, I have told some whoppers. The best thing ever to happen in this area is e-mail. It is sooooo easy to pull a sicky by e-mail.

A few of my more run of the mill ones have been:

The washer flooded and I am waiting for the washer man to come.

I have lost my front door key so I can't leave until I find it. I will try and make it this PM.

Been burgled.

Stomach bug/food poisoning

Death in the family - always a tricky one though, you have to feign mourning for a while unless, like me you are smarter than the average bear. i.e.

My aunt died suddenly over the weekend. We weren't close at all, I hardly ever saw her but her and my mum were close, they fell out over something stupid a few months ago and never made up. My mum is inconsolable. I need to be with her right now. No need for me to feign mourning and lots of sympathy from the boss (sucker). After telling this outrageous lie though, swear to god, a week later my auntie died suddenly.

I wasn't close to her though, hardly ever saw her but my mum.......haw haw haw.

Worst one ever was saying I had cracked a bone in my toe and had to limp around the office for about a month, sometimes on the wrong foot. there is an art to pullng sickies!!!
And people actually wonder why companies like mine have a no-fault attendance policy...don't matter if you are in court or bring in a doctors excuse, you have a sick kid or whatever. Only excuse absences are for death in the family, jury duty, military duty or FMLA.

You sir are the reason...
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:49 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
And people actually wonder why companies like mine have a no-fault attendance policy...don't matter if you are in court or bring in a doctors excuse, you have a sick kid or whatever. Only excuse absences are for death in the family, jury duty, military duty or FMLA.

You sir are the reason...
I take exception to that sir!!! As far as i know I have never worked for you. And only a fool of the highest order would use jury duty. Too much of a paper trail; possible news reports, knowledge of procedure needed in case any other nosey employees have been on a jury themselves. Far too tricky.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I've pulled some crappy excuses myself in the past.

On the other foot... it always make me laugh when someone calls in sick and fakes the cough or "sick voice".
One guy we had was late nearly every day. His excuses where awful.
"My car won't start" came 3 days in a row, so my DH fixed his car.
Next day "I lost my keys in the front yard somewhere" (I heard that excuse 4 or 5 times).

Few days later, he was late so I called his cell phone. He swore he was 2 miles away. 20 mins later, I called again. "I'm at the side of the road, pulled over by police. I'll be half an hour". DH drove to where he claimed to be, no-one there. He rolls up 30 mins later claiming the officer let him off without a ticket.

The final straw "I'm in jail". Ok, see ya. Your last check is in the mail.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god this has me blushing... I was in the ARMY back in the days of when. Was posted in Catterick - 3000 guys 90 girls. Life was nice back then. One afternoon - sports afternoon he had to go back to his regiment, so i wanted to see him off at the station. Excuse, I had to go to the womans doc!! Got back and was posted AWOL! Stands infront of the sgt and told him that I had to go to the womens clinic because I had an "itch". B stard wanted to know what the outcome was so i said the queue was too long so i came back to camp. Bloody ass then went on the phone and made me an appointment at the STD clinic!!! Which I got accompanied to! How freaking embarressing is that . I got the all clear but no man has ever been worth going thru that for again in my life!! I didnt have a day off sick the last 5 years I worked. Do i get a blue peter badge??
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:37 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
I didnt have a day off sick the last 5 years I worked. Do i get a blue peter badge??
I should say you do!!! Spot on.

When I was young(er) and silly(er) I convinced my bezzie mate to come down to cornwall for a week of pissing about by the sea. He was just about to be made manager of a bar in manchester so was reluctant. I said it would be no porblem, he could just call in sick from a payphone everyday, how would they know he wasn't at home?

When we arrived in Holsworthy we discovered that they only had one of those old red boxes where it beeps as you struggle to get the money in. They didn't believe he was in bed ar home of course with all the beep beep beeping etc. He got the sack. Good week though.

Another time he offered to get me a job at the Ramada hotel (now the Radisson) in Manc, where he was bar manager. No probs he said, come in and fill out the form and the jobs yours. It was quiet in the bar and he served me glasses of Remi as I did the form, then he joined me for a quick one, and then two and three. Beforelong we were ratted and, yes, he got the sack again. We went out on the piess straight away and celebrated our new found freedom ha ha. Oh the happy days of youth!!!

PS - he did get me the sack from the soundgarden Nightclub and the Britannia hotel

Last edited by Silly Sod; Apr 15th 2007 at 12:40 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I should say you do!!! Spot on.

When I was young(er) and silly(er) I convinced my bezzie mate to come down to cornwall for a week of pissing about by the sea. He was just about to be made manager of a bar in manchester so was reluctant. I said it would be no porblem, he could just call in sick from a payphone everyday, how would they know he wasn't at home?

When we arrived in Holsworthy we discovered that they only had one of those old red boxes where it beeps as you struggle to get the money in. They didn't believe he was in bed ar home of course with all the beep beep beeping etc. He got the sack. Good week though.

Another time he offered to get me a job at the Ramada hotel (now the Radisson) in Manc, where he was bar manager. No probs he said, come in and fill out the form and the jobs yours. It was quiet in the bar and he served me glasses of Remi as I did the form, then he joined me for a quick one, and then two and three. Beforelong we were ratted and, yes, he got the sack again. We went out on the piess straight away and celebrated our new found freedom ha ha. Oh the happy days of youth!!!

PS - he did get me the sack from the soundgarden Nightclub and the Britannia hotel
And does this poor guy still actually like you?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:47 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Tracym
And does this poor guy still actually like you?
He he he. He is my kids godfather and a glutton for punishment. Shortly after I moved over here he turned up in bama with his american girlfriend who is up the duff and who I didn't even know he had met. I am sure I can lose him his first US job
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

He he he. He is my kids godfather and a glutton for punishment. Shortly after I moved over here he turned up in bama with his american girlfriend who is up the duff and who I didn't even know he had met. I am sure I can lose him his first US job
PMSL. Somehow, I think I'd hate to be him on stag night.