Bill Bryson on England

Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bill Bryson on England

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I've read several of his books, most recently A Walk in the Woods about his attempt to walk the Appalachian trail.

I thought I'm a Stranger Here Myself was really good. He's got one about Oz, In a Sunburned Country, for all of you that are there. I haven't read that one yet.

Sarah in TX
I started to read 'In a Sunburned Country' just before we went to Aus on vacation a few years ago. I tried to finish it on the plane but my husband kept telling me off for laughing so loudly.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hove
BBCAmerica has been showing Rick Steins cooking show.He drives all around rural England showing local produce the markets, and local farmers .How beautiful England still is the small villages the local foods and cafes I have to watch it its an addiction now just one half hour of heaven.
I love watching Rick Stein and River Cottage.

Oh the memories of the UK. Brill.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I love watching Rick Stein and River Cottage.

Oh the memories of the UK. Brill.
Yep Rick Stein is so enthusiastic for UK & food - top man
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:20 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

the uk countryside is stunning that made me feel homesick reading all that

kezx
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:34 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Interesting read. Thank you for posting.

I recently saw Bill Bryson interviewed on an Australian TV show, and he made quite a few thought-provoking comments, as usual.

One that struck me was about taking citizenship of another country. He said it's like dyeing your hair. He can take British citizenship, but he'd never really be British.

He also made some comments about Brits in general being more ready to laugh at themselves than Americans and Australians, who seem to take themselves more seriously.
I saw that interview too. I loved it when he was asked why he liked living in England.
He said "The difference is most evident in coffee....In America you get dubious tasting, bucket sized coffees served in plastic. In England it is quality rather than quanity served in china cups. I like my coffee in china cups"
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

I read it last Christmas on the flight back to the UK and for the first 4 days with jet lag whilst waking up at 4am every morning...

Its a really good read and probably his better work in my opinion, he is spot on with his observations.

I too found it laugh out loud funny. I can never look at Boots, Superdrug and Sketchleys in the same way again. They are the staple diet of many an English town/village's high street arent they, and its particularly nice when one of the said stores takes residence in a fantastic 18th century building and butchers it so its looks like a modern fit out on a slough Industrial estate. They did that in St Ives, ill never forgive them

Yeah, Bryson knows what time it is !! I have his one on the US too which I am yet to read.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

BBCAmerica has been showing Rick Steins cooking show.He drives all around rural England showing local produce the markets, and local farmers .How beautiful England still is the small villages the local foods and cafes I have to watch it its an addiction now just one half hour of heaven.
me too just love it !!!!!!!!!!!!! best scenery in the world......
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I saw that interview too. I loved it when he was asked why he liked living in England.
He said "The difference is most evident in coffee....In America you get dubious tasting, bucket sized coffees served in plastic. In England it is quality rather than quanity served in china cups. I like my coffee in china cups"
Good coffee is on my list of I'll miss for Oz - not black coffee but lattes etc.
Its like an art from here
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

too true, the coffee in Aus is the best i have had anywhere in the world

I asked for a cappacino in Portugal in June and got an esspresso with an almighty squeeze of that cream in a can that you put on Apple Pie, together with 4 coffee beans strategically placed on top, only thing missing was a Glace Cherry.

In England up to about 2002, you had coffee black or white and if you asked for a latte you'd get a blank response, followed by, um, well we have Maxwell House or nescafe and if you come here on wednesdays before 12 we serve Mellow Birds with a free malted milk...
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sherro

I asked for a cappacino in Portugal in June and got an esspresso with an almighty squeeze of that cream in a can that you put on Apple Pie, together with 4 coffee beans strategically placed on top, only thing missing was a Glace Cherry.

In England up to about 2002, you had coffee black or white and if you asked for a latte you'd get a blank response, followed by, um, well we have Maxwell House or nescafe and if you come here on wednesdays before 12 we serve Mellow Birds with a free malted milk...

I used to giggle about the whole - lattle/mocha/capp/machiatto lark here - I have now become a huge coffee snob. In the UK lattes come full of air bubbles, looks like the scaggy foam you get in the sea - yum
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:48 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I started to read 'In a Sunburned Country' just before we went to Aus on vacation a few years ago. I tried to finish it on the plane but my husband kept telling me off for laughing so loudly.
I'll have to get my hands on it!

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yep Rick Stein is so enthusiastic for UK & food - top man
I watched him yesterday,Our beautiful English countryside takes a lot of beating,And Oh the sausages looked so good..........................And I have been gone 50 years, going home for Christmas must have one more at least before I fall off my perch and have some real food.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Bill Bryson, takes over today as president of the Campaign to Protect Rural England.

To those who are so negative about Britain (and the rest of us!), see http://environment.guardian.co.uk/co...121832,00.html for reasons Britain is so special.

Sometimes, perhaps, it takes an outsider to point it out. Familiarity breeds contempt . . . . ?

Sarah in TX
It never fails to astound me how wonderfully British this American sounds. After reading Notes From a Small Island I did wonder how long he'd stick it back the US.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I watched him yesterday,Our beautiful English countryside takes a lot of beating,And Oh the sausages looked so good..........................And I have been gone 50 years, going home for Christmas must have one more at least before I fall off my perch and have some real food.
I watched it last night as well for the first time after someone said about it on here, wasn't it good All the best for your trip home at christmas
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:25 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sherro

Flat white, mmm. Latte here just not the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.