Reload this Page >

Best way to get a good exchange rate canadian dollar to pounds

Best way to get a good exchange rate canadian dollar to pounds

Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Chapponick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to get a good exchange rate canadian dollar to pounds

Hi there

I am looking at sending money back to the UK from canada, does anyone know the best way to get the best exchange rate?

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2015, 4:59 pm
Ex-pat twice?

apskinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to get a good exchange rate canadian dollar to pounds

Use one of the professional currency exchange firms, I used HaloFinancial.com and Global Reach partners is another one with a good rep.

These tend to charge a fixed fee say £15 per transfer and give exchange rates within a few pips of the Forex market rate - unlike your banks which will building their own huge profit margin and charge you large fees on top to do the transfer.

When coming over to Canada 8 yrs ago Halo charged me £15 for my whole $300,000 - not bad eh! They are also going to be the people I choose to use going back.

Note one of the great advantages of these firms is that you can lock in rates for the future. So say you think the exchange rate is only going to get worse you can choose a rate - lock it in for a specific date in the future and just pay a 10% deposit.

Some even allow you to 'HEDGE' using OPTIONS, but you need to really understand what you are doing for that.

My advice hit up a couple of them, get them to call you and talk to you about their services. I can recommend someone at Halo if you want to PM me.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chapponick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by apskinner
Use one of the professional currency exchange firms, I used HaloFinancial.com and Global Reach partners is another one with a good rep.

These tend to charge a fixed fee say £15 per transfer and give exchange rates within a few pips of the Forex market rate - unlike your banks which will building their own huge profit margin and charge you large fees on top to do the transfer.

When coming over to Canada 8 yrs ago Halo charged me £15 for my whole $300,000 - not bad eh! They are also going to be the people I choose to use going back.

Note one of the great advantages of these firms is that you can lock in rates for the future. So say you think the exchange rate is only going to get worse you can choose a rate - lock it in for a specific date in the future and just pay a 10% deposit.

Some even allow you to 'HEDGE' using OPTIONS, but you need to really understand what you are doing for that.

My advice hit up a couple of them, get them to call you and talk to you about their services. I can recommend someone at Halo if you want to PM me.

Yeah that would be great and thanks for your advise.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at TRANSFERWISE
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

AB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond repute

Good question I'm looking to do the same......its breaking my heart losing so much canadian.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Take a look at TRANSFERWISE
Don't show C$ as a currency you can change from only too
Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by apskinner

We would love your recommendation as we are moving back in two months, thanks
Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:21 pm
Ex-pat twice?

That's a co-incidence, us too, aiming for July 1st assuming the house sells reasonably quickly.

I'll PM the guys name
Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,
It appears they do but currently they use the SWIFT system to move CAD$ into your TRANSFERWISE account, then from there to your UK account. I used them to move some USD but had to do a wire transfer to them as I could not get my FCU to authorize the transfer directly - I think it may be because of how my FCU has set up their login process, it's double tiered with a text to my cellphone of a unique access number that has to be manually entered, so TransferWise can never authenticate the account.

https://transferwise.com/support/cus...ticles/1740911
https://transferwise.com/support/cus...wift-payments-

Last edited by Disenchanted; Apr 8th 2015 at 10:12 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

daisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nice

I recently used WorldFirst (based on a recommendation by this site), to move US Dollars to GB Pounds. I got what seemed a favourable exchange rate and they have been super easy to deal with.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a HSBC account in the USA and in the UK, do they charge to transfer?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:37 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

We used TorFX coming out, and we are doing the same going back.
A good tip, if possible, is to exchange larger amounts to get a better deal!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:43 pm
Ex-pat twice?

So I used Halo Financial Today to make a purchase of £16k which cost me $29440 so 1.84.
My Bank TD wanted to offer 1.88 something so I saved myself nearly $700 .

though of course the bank then charges you to do a wire transfer of CAD funds to the UK of $50 - rip off merchants, and even then they nearly paid GBP instead of CAD.

Either way it shows how using a dedicated Forex company saves you a fortune, imagine the savings on the proceeds of a house sale!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

We plan on giving Halo a go, just deciding whether to fix rate now or in 8 weeks is our challenge, do have proceeds of house sale, so a few points difference does make quite a difference!